Affiliation: University of California
- Nocturnal catecholamines and immune function in insomniacs, depressed patients, and control subjectsMichael Irwin
Cousins Center for Psychoneuroimmunonology, UCLA Neuropsychiatric Institute, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 7057, USA
Brain Behav Immun 17:365-72. 2003..These data indicate that insomnia is associated with nocturnal sympathetic arousal and declines of natural immunity, and further support the role of sleep in the regulation of sympathetic nervous and immune system functioning...
- Nocturnal proinflammatory cytokine-associated sleep disturbances in abstinent African American alcoholicsMichael Irwin
Cousins Center for Psychoneuroimmunology, Neuropsychiatric Institute, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Brain Behav Immun 18:349-60. 2004..These findings have implications for determining why sleep is disordered in alcoholics and may aid in the development of novel treatments to optimize sleep in this population...
- Cellular adhesion molecule expression, nocturnal sleep, and partial night sleep deprivationLaura Redwine
Department of Medicine and Veterans Medical Research Foundation, University of California, San Diego, USA
Brain Behav Immun 18:333-40. 2004..These data indicate that acute sleep disruption is associated with alterations in cellular adhesion molecule expression, with implications for the regulation of immune cell trafficking...
- Disordered sleep, nocturnal cytokines, and immunity in alcoholicsLaura Redwine
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, USA
Psychosom Med 65:75-85. 2003..Moreover, the association between awake levels of the anti-inflammatory/T(H)2 cytokine IL-10 and subsequent amounts of delta sleep support the notion of a bidirectional interplay between cytokines and sleep in humans...
- Visual EEG differences in abstinent alcohol dependence and ethnicityEdwin M Valladares
Cousins Center for Psychoneuroimmunology, Neuropsychiatric Institute, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095-7057, USA
Sleep Med 7:79-80. 2006
- Effects of sleep and sleep loss on immunity and cytokinesMichael Irwin
Cousins Center for Psychoneuroimmunology, UCLA Neuropsychiatric Institute and Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, University of California, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095 7057, USA
Brain Behav Immun 16:503-12. 2002..Moreover, in view of basic evidence of a reciprocal interaction between sleep and cytokines, further research is needed to understand whether alterations in cytokines contribute to disordered sleep in patient populations...
- Sleep deprivation as a probe of homeostatic sleep regulation in primary alcoholicsMichael Irwin
Cousins Center for Psychoneuroimmunology, Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, University of California, 300 UCLA Medical Plaza, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Biol Psychiatry 51:632-41. 2002..The differential effect of alcoholism on sleep stage physiology suggests a defect in the regulation or plasticity of slow wave sleep with implications for theories linking sleep depth to morbidity and outcome in alcoholics...
- Acute psychological stress: effects on chemotaxis and cellular adhesion molecule expressionLaura Redwine
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, USA
Psychosom Med 65:598-603. 2003..In this study, we examine the effects of an acute psychological stress on chemotactic responses of PBMCs and on CAM expression in relation to measures of sympathetic activation...
- Psychoneuroimmunology of depression: clinical implicationsMichael Irwin
Cousins Center for Psychoneuroimmunology, University of California, Los Angeles, California 90095-7057, USA
Brain Behav Immun 16:1-16. 2002..Finally, the potential for biobehavioral interventions to impact psychological adaptation and the course of immune related disease is discussed...
- The association between major depression and levels of soluble intercellular adhesion molecule 1, interleukin-6, and C-reactive protein in patients with recent acute coronary syndromesFrancois Lesperance
Department of Psychiatry, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Psychiatry 161:271-7. 2004..This study was conducted to determine whether or not depression is associated with higher levels of inflammatory markers in patients recovering from acute coronary syndromes...
- Immune activation and depression in women with rheumatoid arthritisAlex J Zautra
Department of Rheumatology, Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona 85287, USA
J Rheumatol 31:457-63. 2004..We examined markers of immune activation during periods of stress and depressive symptoms in 45 female patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) in comparison to 106 controls with no autoimmune disease...