Affiliation: University of Colorado Denver
- Regional variation in mortality and subsequent hospitalization of nursing residents with heart failureEvelyn Hutt
Colorado Research in Care Coordination, Eastern Colorado VA Health Care System, Denver, CO 80220, USA
J Am Med Dir Assoc 12:595-601. 2011..Do demographics, clinical characteristics, care structures, mortality, and rehospitalization differ by region among a national sample of nursing home (NH) residents with heart failure (HF)?..
- A multifaceted intervention to implement guidelines did not affect hospitalization rates for nursing home-acquired pneumoniaEvelyn Hutt
Denver VA Medical Center, CO 80220, USA
J Am Med Dir Assoc 12:499-507. 2011..Determine whether a comprehensive approach to implementing national consensus guidelines for nursing home-acquired pneumonia (NHAP) affected hospitalization rates...
- Impact of NHAP guideline implementation intervention on staff and resident vaccination ratesEvelyn Hutt
Denver VA Medical Center, Denver, CO 80220, USA
J Am Med Dir Assoc 11:365-70. 2010..Determine whether a comprehensive approach to implementing national consensus guidelines for nursing home acquired pneumonia (NHAP), including influenza and pneumococcal vaccination, improves resident subject and staff vaccination rates...
- Associations among nurse and certified nursing assistant hours per resident per day and adherence to guidelines for treating nursing home-acquired pneumoniaEvelyn Hutt
Denver VA Medical Center 151, 1055 Clermont St, Denver, CO 80220, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 63:1105-11. 2008..Care structures like nurse/resident staffing ratios can impede or abet quality care. This study examines the relationship between nurse/resident staffing ratios, turnover, and adherence to evidence-based guidelines for treating NHAP...
- A multifaceted intervention to implement guidelines improved treatment of nursing home-acquired pneumonia in a state veterans homeEvelyn Hutt
Department of Medicine, Denver Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Denver, Colorado 80220, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 54:1694-700. 2006..To assess the feasibility of a multifaceted strategy to translate evidence-based guidelines for treating nursing home-acquired pneumonia (NHAP) into practice using a small intervention trial...
- Determining mild, moderate, and severe pain equivalency across pain-intensity tools in nursing home residentsKatherine R Jones
School of Nursing, University of Colorado at Denver and the Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO, USA
J Rehabil Res Dev 44:305-14. 2007..A modification of scoring for the FPS led to greater agreement across the three tools. The findings have implications for use of these tools for quality improvement and public reporting of pain...
- Improving hip fractures outcomes for COPD patientsElizabeth A Regan
VA Eastern Colorado Healthcare System, Denver, Colorado, USA
COPD 10:11-9. 2013..We looked for opportunities to improve outcomes for COPD patients...
- Improving care for nursing home-acquired pneumonia in a managed care environmentEvelyn Hutt
Denver VA Medical Center and the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80220, USA
Am J Manag Care 10:681-6. 2004..To characterize care of nursing home residents who became ill with nursing home-acquired pneumonia (NHAP) in a group-model, nonprofit HMO, and to pilot-test a strategy to implement evidence-based NHAP care guidelines...
- Site of death among veterans living in Veterans Affairs nursing homesCari Levy
University of Colorado Denver, Division of Health Care Policy and Research, Denver Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 1055 Clermont, Mailstop 151, Denver, CO 80220, USA
J Am Med Dir Assoc 13:199-201. 2012..To determine predictors of dying in VA nursing homes, community living centers (CLCs), compared with dying in a hospital...
- Acute myocardial infarction in nursing home residents: adherence to treatment guidelines reduces mortality, but why is adherence so low?Cari R Levy
VA Eastern Colorado Healthcare System, HSR and D TREP for Long term Care Research, Denver, CO 80220, USA
J Am Med Dir Assoc 10:56-61. 2009..To investigate the applicability of clinical practice guidelines (CPGs) to the care of nursing home (NH) residents who experience acute myocardial infarction (AMI)...
- Symptom burden, depression, and spiritual well-being: a comparison of heart failure and advanced cancer patientsDavid B Bekelman
Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
J Gen Intern Med 24:592-8. 2009..A lower proportion of patients with chronic heart failure receive palliative care compared to patients with advanced cancer...
- Increased use of intramedullary nails for intertrochanteric proximal femoral fractures in veterans affairs hospitals: a comparative effectiveness studyTiffany A Radcliff
Colorado REAP to Improve Care Coordination, VA Eastern Colorado Healthcare System, Denver, Colorado, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 94:833-40. 2012..Still, use of intramedullary nails is becoming more common. The goal of this study was to examine trends in the use and associated outcomes of intramedullary nailing compared with sliding hip screws in Veterans Affairs (VA) hospitals...
- Patient risk factors, operative care, and outcomes among older community-dwelling male veterans with hip fractureTiffany A Radcliff
Colorado REAP to Improve Care Coordination, VA Eastern Colorado Health Care System, 1055 Clermont Street MS 151, Denver, CO 80220, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 90:34-42. 2008..The purpose of the present study was to test whether perioperative care impacts thirty-day outcomes, with patient characteristics being taken into account...
- Assessing the appropriateness of pain medication prescribing practices in nursing homesEvelyn Hutt
Denver VA Medical Center, Denver, Colorado 80220, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 54:231-9. 2006..To test a tool for screening the quality of nursing home (NH) pain medication prescribing...
- Evidence-based guidelines for management of nursing home-acquired pneumoniaEvelyn Hutt
Center on Aging Research Section, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Campus Box B179, 3570 East 12th Avenue, Suite 300, Denver, CO 80206, USA
J Fam Pract 51:709-16. 2002..An antibiotic covering Streptococcus pneumoniae, Haemophilus influenzae, common gram-negative rods, and Staphylococcus aureus should be given for 10 to 14 days, orally if the patient is able to take medications by mouth...
- Giving voice to patients' and family caregivers' needs in chronic heart failure: implications for palliative care programsDavid B Bekelman
Research and Genetics Sections, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
J Palliat Med 14:1317-24. 2011....
- Associations among processes and outcomes of care for Medicare nursing home residents with acute heart failureEvelyn Hutt
Division of Health Care Policy and Research, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, 80206, USA
J Am Med Dir Assoc 4:195-9. 2003....