Affiliation: University of North Carolina
- Child maltreatment in the United States: prevalence, risk factors, and adolescent health consequencesJon M Hussey
Department of Maternal and Child Health, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7445, USA
Pediatrics 118:933-42. 2006..The purpose of this study was to estimate the prevalence of child maltreatment in the United States and examine its relationship to sociodemographic factors and major adolescent health risks...
- Sexual behavior and drug use among Asian and Latino adolescents: association with immigrant statusJon M Hussey
Department of Maternal and Child Health, School of Public Health, and Carolina Population Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
J Immigr Minor Health 9:85-94. 2007..The results indicate that among Asian and Latino adolescents, assimilation to U.S. risk behavior norms occurs rapidly and is evident by the second generation...
- Importance of early neglect for childhood aggressionJonathan B Kotch
Department of Maternal and Child Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7445, USA
Pediatrics 121:725-31. 2008....
- Concordance between adolescent reports of childhood abuse and Child Protective Service determinations in an at-risk sample of young adolescentsMark D Everson
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, USA
Child Maltreat 13:14-26. 2008..The implications of these findings are discussed for validity of adolescent self-reports of childhood abuse and for the ongoing debate about disclosure patterns among victims of child sexual abuse...
- Defining maltreatment according to substantiation: distinction without a difference?Jon M Hussey
Department of Maternal and Child Health, School of Public Health, CB 7445, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7445, USA
Child Abuse Negl 29:479-92. 2005..To examine whether children with substantiated maltreatment reports between 4 and 8 years of age differ from children with unsubstantiated reports on any of 10 behavioral and developmental outcomes...
- Behavior and development of preschool children born to adolescent mothers: risk and 3-generation householdsMaureen M Black
University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
Pediatrics 109:573-80. 2002....
- Behavior problems among preschool children born to adolescent mothers: effects of maternal depression and perceptions of partner relationshipsMaureen M Black
Department of Pediatrics, University of Maryland School of Medicine, 655 W Lombard Street, Suite 311, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol 31:16-26. 2002..Programs for adolescent mothers should provide screening and treatment for depressive symptoms and help partners negotiate caregiving roles and mutually satisfying relationships...
- An investigation of racial and ethnic disparities in birth weight in Chicago neighborhoodsNarayan Sastry
RAND Corporation, 1700 Main Street, P O Box 2138, Santa Monica, CA 90407, USA
Demography 40:701-25. 2003..Efforts to close this gap must go beyond programs that aim to reduce the level of risk factors among black women to address the causes of differences in the effects of risk factors...
- Children's self-report about violence exposure: an examination of the Things I Have Seen and Heard ScaleRichard Thompson
Juvenile Protective Association, 1333 N Kingsbury, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Am J Orthopsychiatry 77:454-66. 2007..However, there is initial evidence that the global/community scale is a reliable and valid indicator of young children's exposure to violence. Further use and exploration of the subscales is warranted...