Philip M Hurvitz
Affiliation: University of Washington
- Using built environment characteristics to predict walking for exerciseGina S Lovasi
Institute for Social and Economic Research and Policy, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
Int J Health Geogr 7:10. 2008..In order to limit confounding by prior health conditions, the sample was restricted to participants in good self-reported health and without a documented history of cardiovascular disease...
- Arterial roads and area socioeconomic status are predictors of fast food restaurant density in King County, WAPhilip M Hurvitz
Department of Urban Design and Planning, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 6:46. 2009..abstract:..
- Access to supermarkets and fruit and vegetable consumptionAnju Aggarwal
Anju Aggarwal and Adam Drewnowski are with the Center for Public Health Nutrition, School of Public Health, University of Washington, Seattle Andrea J Cook is with the Biostatistics Unit, Group Health Research Institute, Seattle, WA Junfeng Jiao is with the Department of Urban Planning, Ball State University, Muncie, IN Rebecca A Seguin is with the Division of Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY Anne Vernez Moudon and Philip M Hurvitz are with the Department of Urban Design and Planning, College of Built Environments, University of Washington
Am J Public Health 104:917-23. 2014..Studies on food environments need to focus beyond neighborhood geographic boundaries to capture actual food shopping behaviors. ..
- Characterizing the food environment: pitfalls and future directionsAnne Vernez Moudon
Department of Urban Design and Planning, University of Washington, Box 3548002, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Public Health Nutr 16:1238-43. 2013..To assess a county population’s exposure to different types of food sources reported to affect both diet quality and obesity rates...
- Obesity and supermarket access: proximity or price?Adam Drewnowski
Center for Public Health Nutrition, School of Public Health, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 9819, USA
Am J Public Health 102:e74-80. 2012..We examined whether physical proximity to supermarkets or supermarket price was more strongly associated with obesity risk...
- A neighborhood wealth metric for use in health studiesAnne Vernez Moudon
Department of Urban Design and Planning, University of Washington, Seattle, 98195, USA
Am J Prev Med 41:88-97. 2011..Measures of neighborhood deprivation used in health research are typically based on conventional area-based SES...
- Residential property values are associated with obesity among women in King County, WA, USAColin D Rehm
Center for Public Health Nutrition, Department of Epidemiology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Soc Sci Med 75:491-5. 2012..Property values may represent a novel and objective measure of SES at the individual level in the US. Measures based on tax assessment data will provide a valuable resource for future health studies...
- Walking objectively measured: classifying accelerometer data with GPS and travel diariesBumjoon Kang
Urban Form Lab and the Department of Urban Design and Planning, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 45:1419-28. 2013..This study developed and tested an algorithm to classify accelerometer data as walking or nonwalking using either GPS or travel diary data within a large sample of adults under free-living conditions...