Affiliation: University of California
- The role of FGF-2 and BMP-2 in regulation of gene induction, cell proliferation and mineralizationMillie Hughes-Fulford
Department of Research, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 4150 Clement Street, San Francisco, CA 94121, USA
J Orthop Surg Res 6:8. 2011..Here we describe the sequential roles of FGF-2 in inducing gene expression, cell growth and BMP-2 in gene expression and mineralization of bone...
- Arachidonic acid, an omega-6 fatty acid, induces cytoplasmic phospholipase A2 in prostate carcinoma cellsMillie Hughes-Fulford
Laboratory of Cell Growth, Mail Code 151F, Department of Medicine, Northern California Institute for Research and Education and Veterans Affairs Medical Center, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94121, USA
Carcinogenesis 26:1520-6. 2005..Since cPLA2 is upstream in the eicosanoid pathway, it may be a good alternative for a pharmaceutical target for the treatment of cancer...
- The Rel/NF-κB pathway and transcription of immediate early genes in T cell activation are inhibited by microgravityTammy T Chang
Department of Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Leukoc Biol 92:1133-45. 2012..Results from these experiments indicate that μg was the causative factor for impaired T cell activation during spaceflight by inhibiting transactivation of key immediate early genes...
- Effects of fatty acids on endothelial cells: inflammation and monocyte adhesionS Marlene Grenon
Division of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, University of California, San Francisco, California 94121, USA
J Surg Res 177:e35-43. 2012..The objective of this study was to examine the effect of arachidonic acid (AA), an n-6 FA, and eicosapentanoic acid (EPA), an n-3 FA, on the interaction between monocytes and endothelial cells (ECs)...
- Fibroblast growth factor-2 is an immediate-early gene induced by mechanical stress in osteogenic cellsChai Fei Li
Laboratory of Cell Growth, Northern California Institute for Research and Education, San Francisco, California, USA
J Bone Miner Res 21:946-55. 2006..The induction of fgf-2 is mediated by PKA and ERK pathways...
- Lessons learned about spaceflight and cell biology experimentsMillie Hughes-Fulford
Northern California Institute for Research and Education, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Gravit Physiol 11:105-9. 2004..Finally, spaceflight experiments are rewarding and worth your effort and patience...
- Can I take a space flight? Considerations for doctorsS Marlene Grenon
Division of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94121, USA
BMJ 345:e8124. 2012..Commercial investment is bringing space tourism closer to reality. Marlene Grenon and colleagues: outline what doctors will need to know...
- Effects of gravitational mechanical unloading in endothelial cells: association between caveolins, inflammation and adhesion moleculesS Marlene Grenon
Department of Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
Sci Rep 3:1494. 2013..Addition of ML during the MU period was sufficient to reverse the changes triggered by MU. Our results suggest that gravitational loading could dramatically affect vascular endothelial cell function...
- Arachidonic acid activates phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase signaling and induces gene expression in prostate cancerMillie Hughes-Fulford
Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 4150 Clement Street, San Francisco, CA 91421, USA
Cancer Res 66:1427-33. 2006..Taken together, the data suggest that arachidonic acid via conversion to PGE(2) plays an important role in stimulation of growth-related genes and proliferation via PI3K signaling and NF-kappaB translocation to the nucleus...
- Signal transduction and mechanical stressMillie Hughes-Fulford
Laboratory of Cell Growth, Department of Medicine, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, University of California, and Northern California Institute for Research and Education, San Francisco, CA 94121, USA
Sci STKE 2004:RE12. 2004..Here, we examine the various types of stress and the sequential response of transduction pathways that result in changes in gene expression and the ensuing proliferation of osteoblasts...
- Polyunsaturated fatty acids and peripheral artery diseaseS Marlene Grenon
Division of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94121, USA
Vasc Med 17:51-63. 2012..The evidence of beneficial effects specific to patients with peripheral artery disease (PAD) remains elusive, and is the focus of this review...
- Nutritional supplements, COX-2 and IGF-1 expression in men on active surveillance for prostate cancerJune M Chan
Department of Urology, University of California San Francisco, 1450 3rd Street, San Francisco, CA 94158 9001, USA
Cancer Causes Control 22:141-50. 2011....
- Reduction of anabolic signals and alteration of osteoblast nuclear morphology in microgravityMillie Hughes-Fulford
Northern California Institute for Research and Education, San Francisco, California, USA
J Cell Biochem 99:435-49. 2006..Life on this planet has evolved in a normal gravity field and these data suggest that gravity plays a significant role in regulation of osteoblast transcription...
- The role of signaling pathways in osteoblast gravity perceptionMillie Hughes-Fulford
Lab of Cell Growth, Department of Veteran s Affairs Medical Center and University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94121, USA lab site www spacedu com
J Gravit Physiol 9:P257-60. 2002..The secondary signal may include growth factor related kinases such as ERK, p38 and JNK map kinase (MAPK) pathways. Experimental evidence suggests that normal osteoblast response to stress and sera requires normal earth gravity...