Affiliation: University of Michigan
- Longitudinal relations between children's exposure to TV violence and their aggressive and violent behavior in young adulthood: 1977-1992L Rowell Huesmann
Research Center for Group Dynamics, Institute for Social Research, Ann Arbor 48106, USA
Dev Psychol 39:201-21. 2003..These relations persist even when the effects of socioeconomic status, intellectual ability, and a variety of parenting factors are controlled...
- The role of media violence in violent behaviorL Rowell Huesmann
Institute for Social Research, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48106 1248, USA
Annu Rev Public Health 27:393-415. 2006..Still, the average overall size of the effect is large enough to place it in the category of known threats to public health...
- Short-term and long-term effects of violent media on aggression in children and adultsBrad J Bushman
Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 160:348-52. 2006..We also tested the theory-driven hypothesis that short-term effects should be greater for adults and long-term effects should be greater for children...
- Children's normative beliefs about aggression and aggressive behaviorL R Huesmann
Research Center for Group Dynamics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48106 1248, USA
J Pers Soc Psychol 72:408-19. 1997....
- Nailing the coffin shut on doubts that violent video games stimulate aggression: comment on Anderson et al. (2010)L Rowell Huesmann
University of Michigan, 426 Thompson Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48106 1248, USA
Psychol Bull 136:179-81. 2010....
- Childhood predictors of adult criminality: are all risk factors reflected in childhood aggressiveness?L Rowell Huesmann
Institute for Social Research, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48104, USA
Crim Behav Ment Health 12:185-208. 2002..Early aggressive behaviour is one of the best predictors of adult criminality...
- Continuity of aggression from childhood to early adulthood as a predictor of life outcomes: implications for the adolescent-limited and life-course-persistent modelsL Rowell Huesmann
Research Center for Group Dynamics, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Aggress Behav 35:136-49. 2009..Finally, the outcomes for late-onset (early adulthood) aggressives were also problematic in some domains though not as problematic as those for life-course-persistent aggressives...
- The impact of electronic media violence: scientific theory and researchL Rowell Huesmann
Institute for Social Research, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48106, USA
J Adolesc Health 41:S6-13. 2007..Finally the size of the "media violence effect" is compared with some other well-known threats to society to estimate how important a threat it should be considered...
- Changes in the relation of self-efficacy beliefs and behaviors across developmentPamela E Davis-Kean
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48106 1248, USA
Child Dev 79:1257-69. 2008..Possible limitations in the use of self-report methodology with young children are discussed...
- Exposure to conflict and violence across contexts: relations to adjustment among Palestinian childrenEric F Dubow
Research Center for Group Dynamics, Institute for Social Research, The University of Michigan, USA
J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol 39:103-16. 2010..Results highlight the additive effects of exposure to political conflict and violence, suggesting that interventionists should consider the full spectrum of sources of environmental risk for PTS symptoms and aggressive behavior...
- Childhood and adolescent predictors of early and middle adulthood alcohol use and problem drinking: the Columbia County Longitudinal StudyEric F Dubow
University of Michigan, Institute for Social Research, Ann Arbor, MI 48106 1248, USA
Addiction 103:36-47. 2008..To examine the role of individually and contextually based factors measured during childhood and adolescence in predicting alcohol use and abuse measured during early and middle adulthood...
- Middle childhood and adolescent contextual and personal predictors of adult educational and occupational outcomes: a mediational model in two countriesEric F Dubow
Department of Psychology, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH 43403, USA
Dev Psychol 42:937-49. 2006..Further, childhood and adolescent aggressive behavior negatively affected educational status in early adulthood, which in turn predicted lower occupational status in middle adulthood...
- Community violence exposure, social cognition, and aggression among urban elementary school childrenNancy G Guerra
Department of Psychology, University of California, Riverside 92521, USA
Child Dev 74:1561-76. 2003..These findings suggest that witnessing community violence has an effect on children's aggressive behavior through both imitation of violence and the development of associated cognitions as children get older...
- Theoretical and methodological considerations in cross-generational research on parenting and child aggressive behaviorEric F Dubow
Department of Psychology, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, USA
J Abnorm Child Psychol 31:185-92; discussion 201-3. 2003..Finally, we raise implications of cross-generational research for designing interventions targeting the reduction and prevention of child aggression...
- Proximal peer-level effects of a small-group selected prevention on aggression in elementary school children: an investigation of the peer contagion hypothesisPaul Boxer
Department of Psychology, University of New Orleans, 2001 GP Building Lakefront, New Orleans, LA 70148, USA
J Abnorm Child Psychol 33:325-38. 2005..From these results we derive a principle of "discrepancy-proportional peer-influence" for small group intervention, and discuss the implications of this for aggregating aggressive children in small group programs...
- CROSS GENERATIONAL INFLUENCES ON DEV OF AGGRESSIONL Huesmann; Fiscal Year: 2002..Finally, we will evaluate the role of cognitive, information-processing factors as mediators in a social- learning process that teachers children life-long aggressive habits and promotes transmission across generations. ..
- Serious Youth Violence & Long-term Use of Violent MediaL Huesmann; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Youth's Social Cognitive Responses to Scenes of Ethnic ViolenceL Huesmann; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..