Affiliation: University of California
- Hu Y, Ribbe M. Biosynthesis of the iron-molybdenum cofactor of nitrogenase. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:13173-7 pubmed publisher..Here, we review the recent progress in the research area of M-cluster assembly, with an emphasis on our work that provides useful insights into the mechanistic details of this process. ..
- Tanifuji K, Lee C, Ohki Y, Tatsumi K, Hu Y, Ribbe M. Combining a Nitrogenase Scaffold and a Synthetic Compound into an Artificial Enzyme. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2015;54:14022-5 pubmed publisher..The successful outcome of this work provides the proof of concept and underlying principles for continued search of novel enzymatic activities based on this approach. ..
- Hu Y, Lee C, Ribbe M. Vanadium nitrogenase: a two-hit wonder?. Dalton Trans. 2012;41:1118-27 pubmed publisher..This perspective provides a brief account of the catalytic function and structural basis of V-nitrogenase, as well as a short discussion of the theoretical and practical potentials of this unique metalloenzyme. ..
- Rebelein J, Hu Y, Ribbe M. Widening the Product Profile of Carbon Dioxide Reduction by Vanadium Nitrogenase. Chembiochem. 2015;16:1993-6 pubmed publisher..These observations afford initial insights into the characteristics of this unique reaction and provide a potential template for future design of catalysts to recycle the greenhouse gas CO2 into useful products. ..
- Tanifuji K, Lee C, Sickerman N, Tatsumi K, Ohki Y, Hu Y, et al. Tracing the 'ninth sulfur' of the nitrogenase cofactor via a semi-synthetic approach. Nat Chem. 2018;10:568-572 pubmed publisher..This work provides a semi-synthetic tool for protein reconstitution that could be widely applicable for the functional analysis of other FeS systems. ..
- Lee C, Sickerman N, Hu Y, Ribbe M. YedY: A Mononuclear Molybdenum Enzyme with a Redox-Active Ligand?. Chembiochem. 2016;17:453-5 pubmed publisher..A recent electrochemical investigation suggests that the mononuclear molybdenum enzyme YdeY utilizes redox-active ligands during catalysis. ..
- Hu Y, Yoshizawa J, Fay A, Lee C, Wiig J, Ribbe M. Catalytic activities of NifEN: implications for nitrogenase evolution and mechanism. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:16962-6 pubmed publisher..More importantly, the discrepancy between the two systems may provide useful insights into nitrogenase mechanism and allow reconstruction of a fully functional nitrogenase from the "skeleton" enzyme, NifEN. ..
- Sickerman N, Hu Y, Ribbe M. Nitrogenase Assembly: Strategies and Procedures. Methods Enzymol. 2017;595:261-302 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, protocols for nitrogenase protein purification and substrate reduction activity assays are described. These methods provide a solid framework for the assessment of nitrogenase assembly and catalysis. ..
- Hu Y, Lee C, Ribbe M. Extending the carbon chain: hydrocarbon formation catalyzed by vanadium/molybdenum nitrogenases. Science. 2011;333:753-5 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the comparison between the CO-reducing capacities of the two nitrogenases suggests that the identity of heterometal at the active cofactor site affects the efficiency and product distribution of this reaction...