Affiliation: University of Texas Medical Branch
- Lower stroke mortality among Hispanics: an exploration of potential methodological confoundersBret Howrey
University of Texas Medical Branch, 301 University Blvd, Galveston, TX 77555 0460, USA
Med Care 48:534-9. 2010..Hispanic deaths were adjusted for misclassification of ethnicity on the death certificate. Denominators for the rates were derived from census estimates...
- Association of care by hospitalists on discharge destination and 30-day outcomes after acute ischemic strokeBret T Howrey
Sealy Center on Aging, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX, USA
Med Care 49:701-7. 2011..We assessed the association of care provided by a hospitalist with length of stay, discharge destination, 30-day mortality, 30-day readmission, and 30-day emergency department visits...
- Risk of continued institutionalization after hospitalization in older adultsJames S Goodwin
Department of Medicine, Sealy Center on Aging, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston 77555 0177, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 66:1321-7. 2011..We therefore sought to estimate the percentage of long-term care nursing home stays precipitated by a hospitalization and factors associated with risk of nursing home placement after hospitalization...
- Multiple measurement of serum lipids in the elderlyJames S Goodwin
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX, USA
Med Care 49:225-30. 2011..Although there is considerable interest in underutilization of lipid testing, little is known about the prevalence and factors associated with overtesting of serum lipids...
- The effect of acculturation on frailty among older Mexican AmericansMeredith C Masel
University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555 0434, USA
J Aging Health 23:704-13. 2011..To determine the effect of acculturation on becoming frail and prefrail over a 10-year period among older Mexican Americans...