J D Howell
Affiliation: University of Michigan
- Maintaining connections: some thoughts on the value of intensive care unit rounding for general medicine ward teamsJoel D Howell
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 48109 5429, USA
Ann Intern Med 155:323-4. 2011..It takes a few minutes from a busy day, but it can be incredibly beneficial for families, patients, and the ideals of medicine...
- Making a medical practice in an uneasy world: some thoughts from a century agoJ D Howell
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor 48109 0604, USA
Acad Med 72:977-81. 1997..The paper concludes that because being an excellent physician in both Cathell's time and today requires more than good science, Cathell's book helps to remind us of the social world in which medicine is practiced...
- The physician's role in a world of technologyJ D Howell
Department of History, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, USA
Acad Med 74:244-7. 1999..Despite the many ways that technology has come to be used for medical care over the course of the past century, the role of the physician has remained central...
- University of Michigan Medical School, Program in Society and MedicineJoel D Howell
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-0604, USA
Acad Med 78:1063-4. 2003
- Reflections on the past and future of primary careJoel D Howell
Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 29:760-5. 2010..In the future, primary care will be reinvented, and changes will be caused by the sorts of external social, political, and economic forces that previously led to systemic transformation...
- A history of the American Society for Clinical InvestigationJoel D Howell
Department of Internal Medicine, Universityof Michigan, 300 N Ingalls Bldg, Room 7C27, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 5429, USA
J Clin Invest 119:682-97. 2009....
- Implementation science: how to jump‐start infection preventionSanjay Saint
Veterans Affairs Ann Arbor Healthcare System, University of Michigan Medical School, 300 N Ingalls, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0429, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 31:S14-7. 2010..Just as healthcare epidemiology has emerged as a paradigm for patient safety, infection prevention may serve as a clinical model for implementation researchers...
- Where should hospitalists sit within the academic medical center?Scott A Flanders
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
J Gen Intern Med 23:1269-72. 2008..At community hospitals and less research-oriented AMCs, hospital medicine programs may soon be ready to become separate divisions...
- Tall girls: the social shaping of a medical therapyJoyce M Lee
Division of Pediatric Endocrinology, Child Health Evaluation and Research Unit, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0456, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 160:1035-9. 2006..We suggest that this case study illustrates how scientific knowledge is always created and applied within a particular social context...
- Medical news for the public to use? What's on local TV newsJames M Pribble
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0437, USA
Am J Manag Care 12:170-6. 2006..Local television news is the number 1 source of information for most Americans, and media health reporting has increased significantly during the past 10 years...
- Language matters: legislation, medical practice, and the classification of abortion proceduresTimothy R B Johnson
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Center for Human Growth and Development, Bioethics Program, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Obstet Gynecol 105:201-4. 2005
- Making history: lessons from the great moments series of pharmaceutical advertisementsJonathan M Metzl
Program in Culture, Health, and Medicine, University of Michigan, 2203 Lane Hall, 204 S State St Ann Arbor, MI 48109 1290, USA
Acad Med 79:1027-32. 2004..The authors conclude by suggesting that the images offer important lessons for thinking about the many pharmaceutical advertisements that confront present-day doctors, patients, and other consumers...
- Some thoughts on history and "healing relationships"Joel D Howell
University of Michigan, USA
Am J Bioeth 6:80-2. 2006
- What the doctors readJoel D Howell
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, USA
J Health Polit Policy Law 29:781-97; discussion 1005-19. 2004
- The invention and development of American internal medicineJ D Howell
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109-0376
J Gen Intern Med 4:127-33. 1989....
- Great moments: authenticity, ideology, and the telling of medical "history"Jonathan M Metzl
University of Michigan, USA
Lit Med 25:502-21. 2006