C D Howell
Affiliation: University of Maryland
- Peginterferon alfa-2a and ribavirin for chronic hepatitis C genotype 1 infections in black patients: safety, tolerability and impact on sustained virologic responseC D Howell
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, 21201, USA
J Viral Hepat 13:371-6. 2006..Adherence to at least >60% of the planned peginterferon alfa-2a and ribavirin doses for 48 weeks was associated with a greater SVR in black patients with HCV genotype 1 infections...
- Peginterferon pharmacokinetics in African American and Caucasian American patients with hepatitis C virus genotype 1 infectionCharles D Howell
University of Maryland Baltimore School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 6:575-83. 2008....
- Role of intercellular adhesion molecule-1 and lymphocyte function-associated antigen-1 during nonsuppurative destructive cholangitis in a mouse graft-versus-host disease modelC D Howell
The University of Maryland at Baltimore, School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Hepatology 29:766-76. 1999..01), but had no effect on IL-4, IL-10, and interferon gamma. Neither anti-ICAM-1 nor anti-LFA-1 prevented lymphocytes from homing to the liver. These results indicate that both ICAM-1 and LFA-1 are important to the pathogenesis of NSDC...
- Animal models of autoimmunityCharles D Howell
Division of Hepatology, University of Maryland at Baltimore, 22 S Greene Street N, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Clin Liver Dis 6:775-83. 2002..Lastly, all models require more detailed characterization of the antigen specificity of infiltrating liver T cells and the pathogenesis of liver cell injury...
- End-stage renal disease and African American race are independent predictors of mild liver fibrosis in patients with chronic hepatitis C infectionF M Aslinia
Department of Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
J Viral Hepat 19:371-6. 2012..Thus, HCV patients with ESRD had a lower degree of hepatic inflammation and fibrosis compared to those without renal disease, independent of race...
- Interferon-stimulated gene expression in black and white hepatitis C patients during peginterferon alfa-2a combination therapyShengyuan Luo
University of Maryland School of Medicine, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 3:499-506. 2005..We hypothesized that racial differences in IFN-stimulated antiviral gene induction during treatment might be responsible...
- Biased liver T cell receptor V beta repertoire in a murine graft-versus-host disease modelC D Howell
Department of Medicine, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver 80262, USA
J Immunol 155:2350-8. 1995..Alloantigens recognized by V beta 2+ CD4 cells appear to be selective for the liver. Expansion of V beta 3+ CD4 cells may reflect recognition of the host Mls-3 superantigen...
- Peripheral blood gene expression profile associated with sustained virologic response after peginterferon plus ribavirin therapy for chronic hepatitis-C genotype 1Chao Huang
Department of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 100:1425-33. 2008..01). Many of the genes have been implicated in control of HCV lifecycle and thus may play important roles in HCV clearance during peginterferon and ribavirin therapy...
- Delayed granuloma formation in a patient with vanishing bile duct syndrome 7 years post-liver transplantationF A Anania
Department of Medicine, The University of Maryland Medical Center and School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201 1595, USA
Liver Transpl 7:999-1001. 2001..We are not aware of another case of granulomata associated with recurrent PSC or vanishing bile duct syndrome 7 years after liver transplantation...
- Fibrosis progression in African Americans and Caucasian Americans with chronic hepatitis CNorah A Terrault
Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143 0538, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 6:1403-11. 2008..Prior studies suggest the rate of liver fibrosis progression is slower in African Americans (AAs) than Caucasian Americans (CAs) with chronic HCV infection...
- Prospective analysis of effector and regulatory CD4+ T cells in chronic HCV patients undergoing combination antiviral therapyJames R Burton
University of Colorado Denver, School of Medicine, Division Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Hepatitis C Research Center, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
J Hepatol 49:329-38. 2008..The role of HCV-specific CD4(+) T cells and regulatory T cells in influencing the outcome of antiviral therapy is incompletely defined...
- Racial differences in liver inflammation and fibrosis related to chronic hepatitis CKester Crosse
Department of Medicine, The University of Maryland Baltimore School of Medicine, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2:463-8. 2004..Hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection is more prevalent in black compared with white Americans. However, the natural course of HCV in black patients has not been defined...
- Prospective analysis of depression during peginterferon and ribavirin therapy of chronic hepatitis C: results of the Virahep-C studyDonna M Evon
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 104:2949-58. 2009..The objectives of this study were to determine the association between patient characteristics and depression before and during treatment and to evaluate the relationship between depression and treatment outcomes...
- Simultaneous liver-kidney versus liver transplantation alone in patients with end-stage liver disease and kidney dysfunction not on dialysisA L Mindikoglu
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Transplant Proc 43:2669-77. 2011..However, predictors and survival benefit of SLKT compared to liver transplantation alone (LTA) are not well defined...
- Distinctive clinical features of portopulmonary hypertensionP C Kuo
Department of Surgery, University of Maryland Medical System, Baltimore, USA
Chest 112:980-6. 1997..To differentiate the cardiopulmonary profile of portopulmonary hypertension (PPHTN) from that of primary pulmonary hypertension and chronic liver disease...
- Risk factors for primary hepatocellular carcinoma in black and white Americans in 2000Lei Yu
Department of Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 4:355-60. 2006..The incidence of primary hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) is greater in black Americans compared with white Americans. The aim of this study was to better define racial disparity in HCC patients in the United States...
- Survival prediction and gene identification with penalized global AUC maximizationZhenqiu Liu
Division of Biostatistics, Greenebaum Cancer Center, University of Maryland, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
J Comput Biol 16:1661-70. 2009..Software is available upon request from the first author...
- Peginterferon and ribavirin treatment in African American and Caucasian American patients with hepatitis C genotype 1Hari S Conjeevaram
Division of Gastroenterology, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0362, USA
Gastroenterology 131:470-7. 2006..Compared with Caucasian Americans (CA), African Americans (AA) with chronic hepatitis C are less likely to respond to interferon-based antiviral therapy...
- Association of interferon-alpha-induced depression and improved treatment response in patients with hepatitis CJennifer M Loftis
Portland VA Medical Center, Behavioral Health and Clinical Neurosciences Division, OR, USA
Neurosci Lett 365:87-91. 2004..In conclusion, our findings suggest that IFN-alpha-induced MDD may be a predictor of a positive response to IFN-alpha therapy, or an indication of optimal dosing...
- Peginterferon alfa-2a (40 kd) and ribavirin for black American patients with chronic HCV genotype 1Lennox J Jeffers
Miami Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Miami, FL, USA
Hepatology 39:1702-8. 2004....
- A functional SNP of interferon-gamma gene is important for interferon-alpha-induced and spontaneous recovery from hepatitis C virus infectionYing Huang
Liver Diseases Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:985-90. 2007....
- Baltimore VIRAHEP-C Clinical CenterCharles Howell; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies may provide important new insights into the pathogenesis of HCV and lead to novel therapies for chronic HCV. ..