Genomes and Genes
Thomas M Hooton
Affiliation: University of Miami
- Cefpodoxime vs ciprofloxacin for short-course treatment of acute uncomplicated cystitis: a randomized trialThomas M Hooton
Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
JAMA 307:583-9. 2012..Although fluoroquinolones remain the most reliable urinary antimicrobial, resistance rates have increased and effective fluoroquinolone-sparing antimicrobials are needed...
- Diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of catheter-associated urinary tract infection in adults: 2009 International Clinical Practice Guidelines from the Infectious Diseases Society of AmericaThomas M Hooton
Department of Medicine, University of Miami, Florida 33136, USA
Clin Infect Dis 50:625-63. 2010..These guidelines are intended for use by physicians in all medical specialties who perform direct patient care, with an emphasis on the care of patients in hospitals and long-term care facilities...
- Short-course nitrofurantoin for the treatment of acute uncomplicated cystitis in womenKalpana Gupta
Department of Medicine, Yale University and VA Connecticut Healthcare System, 950 Campbell Avenue, West Haven, CT 06516, USA
Arch Intern Med 167:2207-12. 2007..Evidence-based use of this drug is increasingly important as trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole resistance among uropathogens increases...
- International clinical practice guidelines for the treatment of acute uncomplicated cystitis and pyelonephritis in women: A 2010 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America and the European Society for Microbiology and Infectious DiseasesKalpana Gupta
Department of Medicine, Veterans Affairs Boston Health Care System, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Clin Infect Dis 52:e103-20. 2011....
- Randomized, placebo-controlled phase 2 trial of a Lactobacillus crispatus probiotic given intravaginally for prevention of recurrent urinary tract infectionAnn E Stapleton
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, 98195, USA
Clin Infect Dis 52:1212-7. 2011..We conducted a double-blind placebo-controlled trial of a Lactobacillus crispatus intravaginal suppository probiotic (Lactin-V; Osel) for prevention of recurrent UTI in premenopausal women...
- Recurrent urinary tract infection and urinary Escherichia coli in women ingesting cranberry juice daily: a randomized controlled trialAnn E Stapleton
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 87:143-50. 2012..To compare the time to urinary tract infection (UTI) and the rates of asymptomatic bacteriuria and urinary P-fimbriated Escherichia coli during a 6-month period in women ingesting cranberry vs placebo juice daily...
- Amoxicillin-clavulanate vs ciprofloxacin for the treatment of uncomplicated cystitis in women: a randomized trialThomas M Hooton
Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
JAMA 293:949-55. 2005..One such antibiotic, amoxicillin-clavulanate, has not been well studied...
- Genetic variation of the human urinary tract innate immune response and asymptomatic bacteriuria in womenThomas R Hawn
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
PLoS ONE 4:e8300. 2009..We examined whether candidate gene polymorphisms were associated with altered urine inflammatory profiles in asymptomatic women with or without bacteriuria...
- Fluoroquinolones and resistance in the treatment of uncomplicated urinary tract infectionThomas M Hooton
Department of Medicine, Division of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Harborview Medical Center, University of Washington School of Medicine, Box 359930, 325 Ninth Avenue, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Int J Antimicrob Agents 22:65-72. 2003..Most women with acute uncomplicated pyelonephritis are now managed safely and effectively as outpatients...
- Antimicrobial prophylaxis in women with recurrent urinary tract infectionsPaola Lichtenberger
Division of Infectious Disease, Department of Medicine, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Int J Antimicrob Agents 38:36-41. 2011..The choice of antimicrobial should be based upon the susceptibility pattern of the organisms causing the patient's previous UTIs and history of drug allergies...
- Update on acute uncomplicated urinary tract infection in womenChristopher A Czaja
Department of Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle 98195, USA
Postgrad Med 119:39-45. 2006..Treatment of UTI has become more difficult because of the rising levels of resistance to commonly used antibiotics. Further research is needed to develop new antibiotic therapies and nonantibiotic prevention measures...
- The current management strategies for community-acquired urinary tract infectionThomas M Hooton
Department of Medicine, Division of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA, USA
Infect Dis Clin North Am 17:303-32. 2003..The choice of antimicrobials is similar to that recommended for cystitis in women except that nitrofurantoin is not considered a good choice. Treatment duration should generally be longer than that recommended for women...