Affiliation: University of Rochester
- Treatment of malignant pleural effusion: PleuRx catheter or talc pleurodesis? A cost-effectiveness analysisAaron M Olden
Division of Ethics, Humanities, and Palliative Care, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
J Palliat Med 13:59-65. 2010..An alternative option is outpatient placement of the Pleurx catheter (Denver Biomedical Inc., Denver, CO) for home-based drainage of effusions...
- Pramipexole vs levodopa as initial treatment for Parkinson disease: a 4-year randomized controlled trialRobert G Holloway
Department of Neurology, University of Rochester, 1351 Mt Hope Avenue, Suite 220, Rochester, NY 14620, USA
Arch Neurol 61:1044-53. 2004..The best way to initiate dopaminergic therapy for early Parkinson disease remains unclear...
- Teaching and evaluating first and second year medical students' practice of evidence-based medicineRobert Holloway
Department of Neurology, University of Rochester, 1351 Mount Hope Avenue, Suite 220, Rochester, NY 14620, USA
Med Educ 38:868-78. 2004..To implement an evidence-based medicine (EBM) curriculum for Year 1 and 2 medical students, and to develop a method to evaluate their practice of EBM in discrete and relevant worksteps...
- Accuracy of Medicare claims data in identifying Parkinsonism cases: comparison with the Medicare current beneficiary surveyKatia Noyes
Department of Community and Preventive Medicine, University of Rochester School of Medicine, Rochester, New York, USA
Mov Disord 22:509-14. 2007..This study evaluates the accuracy of administrative claims in identifying Parkinsonism cases compared to the self-reported Parkinson's disease (PD)...
- Medical errors on an inpatient neurology serviceSamuel Frank
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY 14620, USA
Neurology 61:254-7. 2003..Of the 35 errors relating to diet, 17 (49%) resulted in adverse patient consequences, compared with only 5 of 43 (12%) of the errors related to medication...
- Plasma exchange versus intravenous immunoglobulin for myasthenia gravis crisis: an acute hospital cost comparison studyChad Heatwole
Department of Neurology, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
J Clin Neuromuscul Dis 13:85-94. 2011..To compare the short-term financial costs of treating a patient in myasthenia gravis crisis with intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG) versus plasma exchange...
- Economic burden associated with Parkinson's disease on elderly Medicare beneficiariesKatia Noyes
Department of Community and Preventive Medicine, University of Rochester School of Medicine, Rochester, New York, NY 14620, USA
Mov Disord 21:362-72. 2006..Although more research is needed to understand the relationship between PD and medical expenditures and utilization, these findings have important implications for health care providers and payers that serve PD populations...
- Palliative care needs and symptom patterns of hospitalized elders referred for consultationAaron M Olden
Department of Medicine, Unity Health System, Rochester, New York 14626, USA
J Pain Symptom Manage 42:410-8. 2011..To provide effective palliative care (PC) to the geriatric population, an understanding of the reasons for consultation, main diagnoses related to referral, and symptom severity in chronic disease states is essential...
- Utilization, diagnosis, treatment and cost of migraine treatment in the emergency departmentDeborah Friedman
University of Rochester, Neurology, Rochester, NY, USA
Headache 49:1163-73. 2009..To determine the percentages of patients receiving migraine-specific therapy and to estimate the rate of unnecessary neuroimaging studies in the emergency department (ED)...
- Inclusion body myositis functional rating scale: a reliable and valid measure of disease severityC E Jackson
University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX, USA
Muscle Nerve 37:473-6. 2008..Compared to these other outcome measures, the IBMFRS was also the most sensitive measure of change over the course of the study...
- Movement Disorder Society-sponsored revision of the Unified Parkinson's Disease Rating Scale (MDS-UPDRS): Process, format, and clinimetric testing planChristopher G Goetz
Department of Neurological Sciences, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Mov Disord 22:41-7. 2007....
- The Babinski sign: thumbs up or toes down?Robert Holloway
Neurology 65:1147. 2005
- Science and ethics of sham surgery: a survey of Parkinson disease clinical researchersScott Y H Kim
Department of Psychiatry, Bioethics Program, Center for Behavioral and Decision Sciences in Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 48109, USA
Arch Neurol 62:1357-60. 2005..Sham surgery is used in neurosurgical clinical trials in Parkinson disease (PD) but remains controversial. The controversy may be compounded when gene-transfer technologies are tested in sham surgical trials...
- What is the risk of sham surgery in Parkinson disease clinical trials? A review of published reportsSamuel Frank
Boston University, MA, USA
Neurology 65:1101-3. 2005..Placebo surgeries were generally safe and well tolerated but the number of subjects receiving the procedure was small. Harm occurred more frequently in subjects randomized to the experimental intervention...