Affiliation: University of Pittsburgh
- An association between L-arginine/asymmetric dimethyl arginine balance, obesity, and the age of asthma onset phenotypeFernando Holguin
Asthma Institute, Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, MUH 628, 3459 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 187:153-9. 2013..This may be explained by an increase in the concentration of asymmetric dimethyl arginine (ADMA) relative to L-arginine, which can lead to greater nitric oxide synthase uncoupling...
- Obesity and asthma: an association modified by age of asthma onsetFernando Holguin
Asthma Institute, Pulmonary Allergy and Critical Care Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 127:1486-93.e2. 2011..However, whether age of asthma onset modifies the association between obesity and asthma is unknown...
- Obesity, asthma, and oxidative stressFernando Holguin
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, 3452 Fifth Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 108:754-9. 2010....
- A deep breath bronchoconstricts obese asthmaticsFernando Holguin
Asthma Institute, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
J Asthma 47:55-60. 2010....
- Airway and plasma leptin and adiponectin in lean and obese asthmatics and controlsFernando Holguin
Division of Pulmonary, Allergy and Critical Care, Department of Medicine, Asthma Institute, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Asthma 48:217-23. 2011..However, it is unknown whether obesity induces similar changes in airway levels of these adipokines and whether these changes are associated with increased airway biomarkers of inflammation and oxidative stress...
- Airway molecular phenotypes in pediatric asthmaShean J Aujla
Division of Pulmonary Medicine, Allergy and Immunology, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 11:122-6. 2011..The review discusses what is known regarding airway molecular phenotypes in pediatric asthma, specifically biomarkers that have been studied and their relation to the various clinical phenotypes of asthma...
- Traffic-related air pollution exposures and changes in heart rate variability in Mexico City: a panel studyKyra Naumoff Shields
Department of Environmental and Occupational Health, University of Pittsburgh, Bridgeside Point I, Pittsburgh, PA 15219, USA
Environ Health 12:7. 2013....
- Prostaglandin D₂ pathway upregulation: relation to asthma severity, control, and TH2 inflammationMerritt L Fajt
Division of Pulmonary, Allergy and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh Asthma Institute at UPMC University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 131:1504-12. 2013..However, much remains to be understood regarding the presence and activation of these pathway elements in asthmatic patients...
- Body mass index is associated with reduced exhaled nitric oxide and higher exhaled 8-isoprostanes in asthmaticsSushma Komakula
Department of Medicine, Emory University, Atlanta, USA
Respir Res 8:32. 2007....
- Racial differences in biologic predictors of severe asthma: Data from the Severe Asthma Research ProgramChristy Gamble
University of Pittsburgh, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 126:1149-56.e1. 2010..Biologic factors are known to contribute to asthma severity. It is unknown whether these factors differentially contribute to asthma severity in black compared with white subjects...
- Epithelial eotaxin-2 and eotaxin-3 expression: relation to asthma severity, luminal eosinophilia and age at onsetJohn M Coleman
Division of Pulmonary, Allergy and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh Asthma Institute at UPMC UPSOM, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Thorax 67:1061-6. 2012..However, the epithelial and bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL) cell expression of these chemokines in relation to asthma severity and eosinophilic phenotypes has not been addressed...
- Traffic, outdoor air pollution, and asthmaFernando Holguin
Emory University School of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care, Clinical Research Center, Atlanta, GA 30308, USA
Immunol Allergy Clin North Am 28:577-88, viii-ix. 2008..This article presents an overview of the mechanisms by which outdoor air pollution and traffic-related emissions lead to changes in respiratory health and lung function in subjects with asthma...
- Understanding intra-neighborhood patterns in PM2.5 and PM10 using mobile monitoring in Braddock, PABrett J Tunno
Department of Environmental and Occupational Health, University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Environ Health 11:76. 2012..An economically distressed area, Braddock exceeds average annual (>15 μg/m3) and daily (>35 μg/m3) National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS) for particulate matter (PM2.5)...
- Outcomes of noninvasive ventilation for acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in the United States, 1998-2008Divay Chandra
University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 185:152-9. 2012..The patterns and outcomes of noninvasive, positive-pressure ventilation (NIPPV) use in patients hospitalized for acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) nationwide are unknown...
- Prognostic factors for hospital mortality and ICU admission in patients with ANCA-related pulmonary vasculitisFernando Holguin
Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Am J Med Sci 336:321-6. 2008..The objective of this study was to evaluate the factors predictive of 28-day mortality and admission to Intensive Care Unit (ICU) in patients with ANCA-related pulmonary vasculitis...
- Trends in hospitalizations for AIDS-associated Pneumocystis jirovecii Pneumonia in the United States (1986 to 2005)Colleen F Kelley
Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases and the Emory Centerfor AIDS Research, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
Chest 136:190-7. 2009....