C H Hillman
Affiliation: University of Illinois
- The relation of adiposity to cognitive control and scholastic achievement in preadolescent childrenKeita Kamijo
Department of Kinesiology and Community Health, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Champaign, Illinois, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 20:2406-11. 2012..Given that cognitive control has been implicated in academic achievement, the present study provides an empirical basis for the negative relationship between adiposity and scholastic performance...
- The influence of childhood aerobic fitness on learning and memoryLauren B Raine
Department of Kinesiology and Community Health, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, Illinois, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e72666. 2013..Previous research has shown that lower fitness has been related to decreased cognitive function for tasks requiring perception, memory, and cognitive control as well as lower academic achievement...
- Physical activity and academic achievement across the curriculum (A + PAAC): rationale and design of a 3-year, cluster-randomized trialJoseph E Donnelly
Division of Internal Medicine, Cardiovascular Research Institute, The University of Kansas Medical Center, 3901 Rainbow Boulevard, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA
BMC Public Health 13:307. 2013....
- From ERPs to academicsCharles H Hillman
Department of Kinesiology and Community Health, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, IL 61801, United States
Dev Cogn Neurosci 2:S90-8. 2012..No such relationship was observed for spelling. These data suggest that the P3, which reflects attentional processes involved in stimulus evaluation and inhibitory control may be a biomarker for academic achievement during childhood...
- Aerobic fitness and cognitive development: Event-related brain potential and task performance indices of executive control in preadolescent childrenCharles H Hillman
Department of Kinesiology and Community Health, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, USA
Dev Psychol 45:114-29. 2009..The findings differ from those observed in adult populations by indicating a general rather than a selective relationship between aerobic fitness and cognition...
- The effect of acute treadmill walking on cognitive control and academic achievement in preadolescent childrenC H Hillman
Department of Kinesiology and Community Health, 317 Louise Freer Hall, 906 South Goodwin Avenue, University of Illinois at Urbana, Champaign, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Neuroscience 159:1044-54. 2009..These data suggest that single bouts of exercise affect specific underlying processes that support cognitive health and may be necessary for effective functioning across the lifespan...
- A review of chronic and acute physical activity participation on neuroelectric measures of brain health and cognition during childhoodCharles H Hillman
Department of Kinesiology and Community Health, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Prev Med 52:S21-8. 2011..Here, we review the relevant neuroelectric findings on this beneficial relation in children, providing support for the influence of physical activity on specific cognitive processes that comprise academic performance...
- Aerobic fitness is associated with greater efficiency of the network underlying cognitive control in preadolescent childrenM W Voss
Beckman Institute and Department of Psychology, University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign, IL 61801, USA
Neuroscience 199:166-76. 2011....
- Cardiorespiratory fitness and acute aerobic exercise effects on neuroelectric and behavioral measures of action monitoringJ R Themanson
Department of Kinesiology and Community Health, 213 Freer Hall, 906 South Goodwin Avenue, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Neuroscience 141:757-67. 2006....