J A Hellings
Affiliation: University of Kansas Medical Center
- Much improved outcome with gabapentin-divalproex combination in adults with bipolar disorders and developmental disabilitiesJessica A Hellings
J Clin Psychopharmacol 26:344-6. 2006
- Weight gain in a controlled study of risperidone in children, adolescents and adults with mental retardation and autismJ A Hellings
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City 66160, USA
J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 11:229-38. 2001..Rate of weight gain diminished rapidly on tapering and stopping the drug. Further studies are urgently needed, including those incorporating diet and exercise programming...
- A crossover study of risperidone in children, adolescents and adults with mental retardationJessica A Hellings
Department of Psychiatry, University of Kansas Medical Center, 3901 Rainbow Boulevard, Kansas City, USA
J Autism Dev Disord 36:401-11. 2006..Increased appetite and weight gain were common. Low dose risperidone was effective for aggressive behavior in persons with MR. More long-term studies are needed, incorporating weight control interventions...
- Risperidone-induced prolactin elevation in a prospective study of children, adolescents, and adults with mental retardation and pervasive developmental disordersJessica A Hellings
University of Kansas Medical Center, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Kansas City, Kansas 66160, USA
J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 15:885-92. 2005..Risperidone elevates prolactin more than other atypical antipsychotic medications. Females may show greater prolactin elevation than males...
- A double-blind, placebo-controlled study of valproate for aggression in youth with pervasive developmental disordersJessica A Hellings
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, Kansas 66160, USA
J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 15:682-92. 2005..The aim of this study was to study valproate efficacy and safety for aggression in children and adolescents with pervasive developmental disorders (PDD)...
- The overt aggression scale for rating aggression in outpatient youth with autistic disorder: preliminary findingsJessica A Hellings
University of Kansas Medical Center, Department of Psychiatry, 3901 Rainbow Blvd, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA
J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 17:29-35. 2005..Further study of the OAS in outpatients with aggression and developmental disabilities is warranted...
- Overnight versus progressive conversion of multiple daily-dose divalproex to once-daily divalproex extended release: which strategy is better tolerated by adults with intellectual disabilities?Jessica A Hellings
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 29:492-5. 2009..One subject in the overnight group manifested acute diarrhea and vomiting, followed by a very brief tonic leg seizure 6 days later. Larger studies are warranted...
- Effects of risperidone on destructive behavior of persons with developmental disabilities: III. Functional analysisJennifer R Zarcone
Department of Psychiatry, University of Kansas, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City 66160 7341, USA
Am J Ment Retard 109:310-21. 2004..e., an elevated rate of responding occurred in a specific condition), and risperidone treatment produced function-specific reductions of their destructive behavior...
- Efficacy and safety of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors in the treatment of depression in children and adolescents: practitioner reviewSusan C Sharp
University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, Kansas 66160, USA
Clin Drug Investig 26:247-55. 2006....
- Psychopathology, GABA, and the Rubinstein-Taybi syndrome: a review and case studyJessica A Hellings
University of Kansas Medical Center, Department of Psychiatry, Kansas City, Kansas, USA
Am J Med Genet 114:190-5. 2002..Further prospective study is needed of RTS persons regarding behavioral problems, comorbid psychiatric diagnoses, and treatment responses, correlated with genetic abnormalities...
- Use of functional analysis methodology in the evaluation of medication effectsKimberly A Crosland
University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas 66045 7555, USA
J Autism Dev Disord 33:271-9. 2003..Results of the study demonstrate how functional analysis may provide information on those conditions and behaviors that are most likely to be affected by a specific medication...
- Multimodal evaluation of risperidone for destructive behavior: functional analysis, direct observations, rating scales, and psychiatric impressionsMaria G Valdovinos
Schiefelbusch Institute for Lifespan Studies, University of Kansas, USA
Exp Clin Psychopharmacol 10:268-75. 2002..Results indicate that risperidone does decrease destructive behavior and that, for the most part, all of the various measures yielded similar results...
- VALPROATE RESPONSE IN AGGRESSIVE AUTISTIC ADOLESCENTSJessica Hellings; Fiscal Year: 2002..Study results will be prepared and submitted as manuscripts for publications and presentations. Achievement of goals of the grant will be monitored by Dr. Schroeder weekly, quarterly and annually. ..