Martie G Haselton
Affiliation: University of California
- Sex, lies, and strategic interference: the psychology of deception between the sexesMartie G Haselton
University of California, Communication Studies Program, 334 Kinsey Hall, 405 Hilgard Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Pers Soc Psychol Bull 31:3-23. 2005..We discuss implications for theories of mating and emotion and directions for research based on models of antagonistic coevolution between the sexes...
- Conditional expression of women's desires and men's mate guarding across the ovulatory cycleMartie G Haselton
Communication Studies and Department of Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles, Center for Behavior, Evolution and Culture, 3130 Hershey Hall, 415 Portola, 90095, USA
Horm Behav 49:509-18. 2006..The daily assessment method provides an important supplement to existing studies using scheduled laboratory visits as the purpose of the study (examining cycle-related variation) is not known by participants...
- The paranoid optimist: an integrative evolutionary model of cognitive biasesMartie G Haselton
Communication Studies and Department of Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Pers Soc Psychol Rev 10:47-66. 2006..This perspective integrates a diverse array of effects under a single explanatory umbrella, and it yields new content-specific predictions...
- Ovulatory shifts in human female ornamentation: near ovulation, women dress to impressMartie G Haselton
Center for Behavior Evolution and Culture, Communication Studies and Department of Psychology, University of California, 2302 Rolfe Hall, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Horm Behav 51:40-5. 2007..It may help explain the previously documented finding that men's mate retention efforts increase as their partners approach ovulation...
- Error management theory and the evolution of misbeliefsMartie G Haselton
Departments of Communication and Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095 http www sscnet ucla edu comm haselton home html
Behav Brain Sci 32:522-3. 2009..A misbelief could create motivational impetus for courtship, overcome the inhibiting effects of anxiety about rejection, and in some cases transform an initially sexually uninterested woman into an interested one...
- Changes in women's feelings about their romantic relationships across the ovulatory cycleChristina M Larson
Department of Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles, 1285 Franz Hall University of California, Los Angeles Box 951563, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Horm Behav 63:128-35. 2013..These findings suggest that variations across the ovulation cycle in women's reproductive hormones play an important role in relationship dynamics...
- Body odor attractiveness as a cue of impending ovulation in women: evidence from a study using hormone-confirmed ovulationKelly A Gildersleeve
Department of Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Horm Behav 61:157-66. 2012....
- Can manipulations of cognitive load be used to test evolutionary hypotheses?H Clark Barrett
Department of Anthropology, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Pers Soc Psychol 91:513-8. 2006..Regardless of how the jealousy debate is eventually settled, cognitive load manipulations cannot rule out the operation of evolved mechanisms...
- Ovulatory shifts in female sexual desireElizabeth G Pillsworth
Anthropology Department, UCLA, 341 Haines Hall, Box 951553, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Sex Res 41:55-65. 2004..The pursuit of an in-pair conceptive strategy (as opposed to an extra-pair conceptive strategy) was also associated with the occurrence of sexual activity in the relationship...
- Vocal cues of ovulation in human femalesGregory A Bryant
Department of Communication Studies, Center for Behavior, Evolution and Culture, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1563, USA
Biol Lett 5:12-5. 2009..We interpret this finding as evidence of a fertility-related enhancement of femininity consistent with other research documenting attractiveness-related changes associated with ovulation...
- Parental precaution: neurobiological means and adaptive endsJennifer Hahn-Holbrook
Department of Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles, 1282A Franz Hall, Los Angeles, CA 90095, United States
Neurosci Biobehav Rev 35:1052-66. 2011..Throughout, we center discussion on adaptive responses to threats of disease, accident and assault as common causes of child mortality in the ancestral past...
- Why is muscularity sexy? Tests of the fitness indicator hypothesisDavid A Frederick
Department of Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1563, USA
Pers Soc Psychol Bull 33:1167-83. 2007..49-.62) and report more lifetime sex partners (partial rs = .20-.27), short-term partners (partial rs = .25-.28), and more affairs with mated women (partial r = .28)...