Affiliation: University of California
- Successful localization of recurrent thyroid cancer in reoperative neck surgery using ultrasound-guided methylene blue dye injectionAvital Harari
University of California, Los Angeles, Section of Endocrine Surgery, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Am Coll Surg 215:555-61. 2012..Here we analyze our methylene blue dye injection method to localize reoperative neck pathology in patients with thyroid cancer and lymph node metastases...
- Primary hyperparathyroidism patients with positive preoperative sestamibi scan and negative ultrasound are more likely to have posteriorly located upper gland adenomas (PLUGs)Avital Harari
Department of Surgery, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 18:1717-22. 2011..In a subset of patients with a positive MIBI and a negative US, we hypothesize that the parathyroid adenomas are more likely to be located posteriorly in the neck, where anatomically they are more difficult to detect by US...
- Parathyroid carcinoma: a 43-year outcome and survival analysisAvital Harari
Section of Endocrine Surgery, University of California, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:3679-86. 2011..OBJECTIVES AND MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: The objective of the study was to review the outcomes of parathyroid cancer patients and to evaluate the factors associated with mortality...
- Effect of reoperation on outcomes in papillary thyroid cancerStephanie Young
Section of Endocrine Surgery, UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA
Surgery 154:1354-61; discussion 1361-2. 2013..The influence of lymph node recurrences of papillary thyroid carcinoma (PTC) on overall prognosis is uncertain. We performed a population-based, longitudinal analysis to evaluate the impact of reoperation on mortality...
- Racial and socioeconomic disparities in presentation and outcomes of well-differentiated thyroid cancerAvital Harari
University of California, Los Angeles, Section of Endocrine Surgery A H, M W Y and Department of Biomathematics N L, Los Angeles, California 90095
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 99:133-41. 2014..Racial/ethnic minorities suffer disproportionate morbidity and mortality from chronic diseases...
- Incidence and prevalence of primary hyperparathyroidism in a racially mixed populationMichael W Yeh
Section of Endocrine Surgery, UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 98:1122-9. 2013..The epidemiology of primary hyperparathyroidism (PHPT) has generally been studied in Caucasian populations...
- Parathyroid carcinoma: update and guidelines for managementChristina H Wei
Section of Endocrine Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Curr Treat Options Oncol 13:11-23. 2012..Most patients ultimately succumb to complications of hypercalcemia rather than from tumor burden or infiltration...
- Population-level predictors of persistent hyperparathyroidismMichael W Yeh
Division of General Surgery, UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Surgery 150:1113-9. 2011..To avoid these biases, we evaluated parathyroidectomy (PTx) outcomes within an integrated health care system encompassing 3.25 million enrollees...
- Three-phase parathyroid 4-dimensional computed tomography initial experience: inexperienced readers have high accuracy and high interobserver agreementAli R Sepahdari
Department of Radiological Sciences, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Comput Assist Tomogr 37:511-7. 2013..Our goal was to describe the initial performance of 2 inexperienced readers in interpretation of 4D-CT...
- Endocrine surgery as a model for value-based health care deliveryAmer G Abdulla
Section of Endocrine Surgery, UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Surg Neurol Int 3:163. 2012..We describe how a value-based system implemented by the University of California, Los Angeles UCLA Section of Endocrine Surgery (SES) has optimized both quality and costs while increasing patient volume...
- Malignant pheochromocytoma: a reviewAvital Harari
Department of Surgery, Division of Endocrine Surgery of University of California, San Francisco, CA 94115, USA
Am J Surg 201:700-8. 2011..In this review, we discuss the current information known of malignant pheochromocytomas...
- Risk-Based Ultrasound Screening for Thyroid Cancer in Obese Patients is Cost-EffectiveStephanie Cham
1 Department of Surgery, Section of Endocrine Surgery, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California
Thyroid 24:975-86. 2014..Recommendations for screening this subgroup will result in cost savings and a likely decreased morbidity and mortality in this subpopulation with more aggressive disease. ..
- Negative preoperative localization leads to greater resource use in the era of minimally invasive parathyroidectomyAvital Harari
Division of Gastrointestinal and Endocrine Surgery, Department of Surgery, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Am J Surg 197:769-73. 2009..Successful preoperative localization plays an important role in patient selection for focused parathyroidectomy...