Affiliation: University of Wisconsin
- The safety and efficacy of leflunomide in combination with infliximab in rheumatoid arthritisK E Hansen
University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Arthritis Rheum 51:228-32. 2004..To report the safety and efficacy of leflunomide (LEF) in combination with infliximab (INF) for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis...
- High-dose vitamin D: helpful or harmful?Karen E Hansen
Rheumatology Division, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Room 4124 MFCB, 1685 Highland Avenue, Madison, WI 53705 2281, USA
Curr Rheumatol Rep 13:257-64. 2011..It is time to question whether serum 25(OH)D levels of 30 ng/mL or greater are necessary for all individuals...
- Do proton pump inhibitors decrease calcium absorption?Karen E Hansen
Department of Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, USA
J Bone Miner Res 25:2786-95. 2010..PPI-associated hypochlorhydria does not decrease FCA following 30 days of continuous use. Future studies should focus on identifying mechanisms by which PPIs increase the risk of osteoporotic fracture...
- Osteoimmunology: prevalence of hypovitaminosis D and relationship to fractureKaren E Hansen
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Clinical Science Center, Madison, WI 53792, USA
Nat Rev Rheumatol 5:417-8. 2009..Two articles published in the Archives of Internal Medicine diverge with previous reports on the prevalence of hypovitaminosis D and the capability of vitamin D to reduce fractures...
- Vitamin D insufficiency: disease or no disease?Karen E Hansen
Department of Medicine, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, Wisconsin 53792, USA
J Bone Miner Res 23:1052-60. 2008..In existing literature, this small change in FCA does not associate with lower fracture rates or consistently higher bone mass. Future studies should ascertain whether small FCA increments favorably affect the skeleton...
- An atlas improves interobserver agreement regarding application of the ISCD vertebral body exclusion criteriaKaren E Hansen
Osteoporosis Research Center, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53792, USA
J Clin Densitom 10:359-64. 2007..Furthermore, correlations in T-score improved in 7 of 10 physician pairs after atlas review. We conclude that an interactive atlas promotes uniform lumbar spine DXA interpretation...
- Adherence to alendronate in male veteransK E Hansen
Department of Medicine, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, WI 53792, USA
Osteoporos Int 19:349-56. 2008..Providers urgently need programs to increase adherence to osteoporosis medications. Initial programs should target patients with risk factors for non-adherence...
- Can an online osteoporosis lecture increase physician knowledge and improve patient care?Karen E Hansen
Department of Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53792, USA
J Clin Densitom 10:10-20. 2007..We conclude that physician knowledge can increase after a single online osteoporosis lecture, but patient care is not altered. Further research is needed to discern optimal osteoporosis educational encounters that enhance patient care...
- Outcomes in 45 patients with statin-associated myopathyKaren E Hansen
Rheumatology Section, University of Wisconsin Medical School, H6 363 Clinical Science Center, 600 Highland Avenue, Madison, WI 53792, USA
Arch Intern Med 165:2671-6. 2005..Furthermore, long-term outcomes and responses to statin rechallenge in patients with statin-associated myopathy are largely unknown...
- Interobserver reproducibility of criteria for vertebral body exclusionKaren E Hansen
Rheumatology Section, Department of Medicine, University of Wisconsin, William S Middleton Veterans Hospital, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
J Bone Miner Res 20:501-8. 2005..Our results suggest that reproducibility may be improved by specifically addressing the sources of interobserver disagreement...
- Use of the lowest vertebral body T-score to diagnose lumbar osteoporosis in men: is "cherry picking" appropriate?Karen E Hansen
Rheumatology Section, Department of Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI and Veterans Hospital, Madison, WI 53750, USA
J Clin Densitom 7:376-81. 2004..Prospective studies are needed to determine which of these three methods of lumbar spine analysis best predicts future fragility fracture in men and women...
- The efficacy of switching from etanercept to infliximab in patients with rheumatoid arthritisKaren E Hansen
Division of Rheumatology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
J Rheumatol 31:1098-102. 2004..To describe the degree of clinical benefit in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) who receive infliximab therapy after lack of efficacy with etanercept...
- Uncertainties in the prevention and treatment of glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosisKaren E Hansen
University of Wisconsin Department of Medicine, Madison, WI, USA
J Bone Miner Res 26:1989-96. 2011..We discuss several patient scenarios for which the new treatment guidelines do not apply, or for which our committee interprets existing literature differently and suggests an alternative approach...
- Vitamin D repletion does not alter urinary calcium excretion in healthy postmenopausal womenKristina L Penniston
Departments of Urology and Medicine, Osteoporosis Clinical Center and Research Program, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, WI, USA
BJU Int 104:1512-6. 2009....
- Use of a questionnaire to assess vitamin D status in young adultsJilaine Bolek-Berquist
Department of Medicine, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, WI, USA
Public Health Nutr 12:236-43. 2009..We hypothesized that young adults would commonly have vitamin D deficiency and that a questionnaire could help identify subjects with the condition...
- Prevalence and Treatment of Hypovitaminosis D in RAKaren Hansen; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Treatment of Vitamin D InsufficiencyKaren E Hansen; Fiscal Year: 2010..This study will help decide whether vitamin D therapy lessens the risk of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women, and at what vitamin D dose those benefits occur. ..