T R Halfdanarson
Affiliation: University of Iowa
- Mitochondrial genetic polymorphisms do not predict survival in patients with pancreatic cancerThorvardur R Halfdanarson
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Hematology, Oncology and Blood and Marrow Transplantation, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 17:2512-3. 2008..After adjusting for covariates and multiple comparisons, no association between any of the mitochondrial single nucleotide polymorphisms or haplogroups and survival was observed...
- A single-institution experience with 491 cases of small bowel adenocarcinomaThorvardur R Halfdanarson
Department of Oncology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
Am J Surg 199:797-803. 2010..The optimal treatment of small bowel adenocarcinoma is unknown...
- Severe vitamin B12 deficiency resulting in pancytopenia, splenomegaly and leukoerythroblastosisThorvardur R Halfdanarson
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Hematology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN, USA
Eur J Haematol 80:448-51. 2008..We review the literature on these unusual manifestations of B12 deficiency and remind clinicians that splenomegaly and erythroblastosis can serve as diagnostic clues in cases of severe megaloblastic anemia secondary to B12 deficiency...
- Hematological manifestations of copper deficiency: a retrospective reviewThorvardur R Halfdanarson
Division of Hematology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN, USA
Eur J Haematol 80:523-31. 2008..Copper deficiency is an uncommon but very treatable cause of hematologic abnormalities...
- Pancreatic endocrine neoplasms: epidemiology and prognosis of pancreatic endocrine tumorsThorvardur R Halfdanarson
Division of Oncology, Department of Medical Oncology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Endocr Relat Cancer 15:409-27. 2008..The epidemiology, prognosis, and established and novel prognostic markers of PETs are reviewed...
- Pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors (PNETs): incidence, prognosis and recent trend toward improved survivalT R Halfdanarson
Division of Medical Oncology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN, USA
Ann Oncol 19:1727-33. 2008..Pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors (PNETs) are uncommon neoplasms that can present with symptoms of hormone overproduction. We evaluated the incidence, prognosis, and temporal trends of PNETs...
- The role of chemotherapy in managing patients with resectable liver metastasesThorvardur R Halfdanarson
Division of Hematology, Oncology and Blood and Marrow Transplantation, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics and Iowa City Veterans Administration Medical Center, Iowa City, IA 52442, USA
Cancer J 16:125-31. 2010..Preoperative chemotherapy can increase postoperative complications after hepatic resection, and the decision to use such therapy should be made in a multidisciplinary setting...
- Severe autoimmune neutropenia associated with acute autoimmune hepatitisAhmad M Wehbe
Division of Hematology, Oncology and Blood and Marrow Transplantation, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, IA 52246, USA
Int J Hematol 91:673-8. 2010..Anti-neutrophil antibodies were detected in the patient's blood. Therapy was directed at the underlying hepatitis with resolution of neutropenia without the use of colony-stimulating factors...
- Copper deficiency in celiac diseaseThorvardur R Halfdanarson
Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 43:162-4. 2009..All 5 patients had neurologic complications of copper deficiency and 3 patients also presented with hematologic abnormalities. We also review the literature regarding copper deficiency in celiac disease...
- Pharmacological ascorbate with gemcitabine for the control of metastatic and node-positive pancreatic cancer (PACMAN): results from a phase I clinical trialJ L Welsh
Department of Surgery, 1528 JCP UIHC, The University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 71:765-75. 2013..A phase I clinical trial was performed to establish safety and tolerability of pharmacological ascorbate combined with gemcitabine in patients with biopsy-proven stage IV pancreatic adenocarcinoma...
- Obesity adversely affects survival in pancreatic cancer patientsRobert R McWilliams
Division of Medical Oncology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Cancer 116:5054-62. 2010..The authors assessed the association of BMI with survival in a sample of pancreatic cancer patients and used epidemiologic and clinical information to understand the contribution of diabetes and hyperglycemia...
- Oncologic emergencies: diagnosis and treatmentThorvardur R Halfdanarson
Division of Hematology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minn 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 81:835-48. 2006..Prompt interventions can be lifesaving and may spare patients considerable morbidity and pain. In this review, we discuss the diagnosis of and initial therapy for common emergencies in hematology and oncology...
- Oral cancer chemotherapy: the critical interplay between patient education and patient safetyThorvardur R Halfdanarson
Division of Hematology, Oncology, and Blood and Marrow Transplantation, University of Iowa and Iowa City Veterans Administration Medical Center, Iowa City, IA, USA
Curr Oncol Rep 12:247-52. 2010..These challenges are discussed here. There are few other circumstances in which patient education and the maintenance of institutional safety infrastructure play such an integral role in sustaining favorable cancer clinical outcomes...
- Hematologic manifestations of celiac diseaseThorvardur R Halfdanarson
Division of Hematology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 200 First St, SW, Rochester MN 55905, USA
Blood 109:412-21. 2007..ETL is an aggressive disease with poor prognosis, but strict adherence to a gluten-free diet may prevent its occurrence...