Ihab M Hajjar
Affiliation: University of South Carolina
- Postural blood pressure changes and orthostatic hypotension in the elderly patient: impact of antihypertensive medicationsIhab Hajjar
Division of Geriatrics, Department of Internal Medicine, Palmetto Health Richland and University of South Carolina, Columbia, South Carolina 29203, USA
Drugs Aging 22:55-68. 2005....
- Renin angiotensin system gene polymorphisms modify angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors' effect on cognitive function: the health, aging and body composition studyIhab Hajjar
Division of Gerontology, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02131, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 58:1035-42. 2010....
- The impact of the use of statins on the prevalence of dementia and the progression of cognitive impairmentIhab Hajjar
Palmetto Health Alliance University of South Carolina, Columbia 29203, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 57:M414-8. 2002..We decided to investigate the association between the use of statins and the prevalence of dementia and statins' impact on the progression of cognitive impairment...
- Antihypertensive agents for aging patients who are at risk for cognitive dysfunctionIhab Hajjar
Department of Internal Medicine, Palmetto Health Richland University of South Carolina, 9 Medical Park Drive, Suite 230, Columbia, SC 29203, USA
Curr Hypertens Rep 7:466-73. 2005..These drugs may be preferred in such clinical situations...
- Quality of Internet geriatric health information: the GeriatricWeb projectIhab Hajjar
Palmetto Health Richland, Columbia, South Carolina 29201, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 53:885-90. 2005..Healthcare professionals need to be aware of how to locate high-quality IGHI and how to assess the quality of available IGHI...
- Cross-sectional and longitudinal association between antihypertensive medications and cognitive impairment in an elderly populationIhab Hajjar
Division of Geriatrics, Department of Medicine, Palmetto Health Richland, University of South Carolina, School of Medicine, Columbia, SC, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 60:67-73. 2005....
- Trends in prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control of hypertension in the United States, 1988-2000Ihab Hajjar
Division of Geriatrics, Department of Medicine, Palmetto Health Richland, University of South Carolina, Columbia, USA
JAMA 290:199-206. 2003..Prior analyses of National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) data through 1991 have suggested that hypertension prevalence is declining, but more recent self-reported rates of hypertension suggest that the rate is increasing...
- Dietary calcium lowers the age-related rise in blood pressure in the United States: the NHANES III surveyIhab M Hajjar
Division of Geriatrics, Department of Internal Medicine, Palmetto Health Alliance University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC 29206, USA
J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich) 5:122-6. 2003..001). If the calcium intake of the general population were to increase to above 1200 mg, the incidence of isolated systolic hypertension in the elderly might be decreased...
- Regional variations of blood pressure in the United States are associated with regional variations in dietary intakes: the NHANES-III dataIhab Hajjar
Department of Medicine, Division of Geriatrics, Palmetto Health Alliance University of South Carolina, Columbia 29203, USA
J Nutr 133:211-4. 2003..quot; The region of the United States that includes the "stroke belt" has dietary patterns that may contribute to the high prevalence of hypertension and cardiovascular disease...
- Age-related bias in the management of hypertension: a national survey of physicians' opinions on hypertension in elderly adultsIhab Hajjar
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Geriatrics, University of South Carolina School of Medicine Palmetto Health Alliance, Columbia 29203, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 57:M487-91. 2002....
- The impact of lifestyle behavior on hypertension awareness, treatment, and control in a southeastern populationBrandy K Dickson
Division of Geriatrics, Center for Senior Hypertension, Palmetto Health Richland/University of South Carolina, School of Medicine, Columbia, South Carolina, USA
Am J Med Sci 332:211-5. 2006..Low levels of FV consumption and PA were noted especially in African-American patients and may explain this rate...
- Web-based framework for improving geriatric educationVictor A Hirth
Senior Primary Care Practice, Palmetto Health Richland, USA
Gerontol Geriatr Educ 25:43-55. 2004..We also propose a framework addressing the design and content for developing a geriatric specific website. We use this framework to propose a prototype resource on falls and gait instability...
- Improving patient outcomes with ambulatory blood pressure monitoring in elderly with hypertensionBrandy K Frost
Center for Senior Hypertension, Palmetto Health Richland, University of South Carolina School of Medicine, Columbia, SC 29203, USA
J Am Acad Nurse Pract 18:104-15. 2006..The purpose of this article is to review the current knowledge regarding ambulatory blood pressure monitoring (ABPM) use in clinical practice and to provide example cases for its use in a hypertension (HTN) specialty clinic...
- The use of the internet in geriatrics education: results of a national survey of medical geriatrics academic programsIhab M Hajjar
Harvard Medical School, Gerontology Division, Department of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
Gerontol Geriatr Educ 27:85-95. 2007..Users and developers of medical geriatric Internet materials had more full-time faculty and nonclinical faculty. The results of our survey indicate that the Internet is being widely used in medical geriatric education...
- A novel aging phenotype of slow gait, impaired executive function, and depressive symptoms: relationship to blood pressure and other cardiovascular risksIhab Hajjar
Department of Medicine, Division of Gerontology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, and Department of Psychiatry, Brigham and Women s Children Hospital, 1200 Center Street, Boston, MA, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 64:994-1001. 2009....
- A randomized, double-blind, controlled trial of vitamin C in the management of hypertension and lipidsIhab M Hajjar
Division of Geriatrics, Palmetto Health Alliance and University of South Carolina, Columbia, South Carolina, USA
Am J Ther 9:289-93. 2002..Vitamin C supplementation lowers blood pressure in mildly hypertensive patients. There is no additional benefit for a higher dose than 500 mg daily. The effect of vitamin C is most likely to be only short term...
- Hypertension: trends in prevalence, incidence, and controlIhab Hajjar
Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School and Hebrew Senior Life, 1200 Centre St, Boston, Massachusetts 02131, USA
Annu Rev Public Health 27:465-90. 2006..Only about one third of all hypertensives are controlled in the United States. Programs that improve hypertension control rates and prevent hypertension are urgently needed...
- Association of blood pressure elevation and nocturnal dipping with brain atrophy, perfusion and functional measures in stroke and nonstroke individualsIhab Hajjar
Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Am J Hypertens 23:17-23. 2010..Although both blood pressure elevation and lower nocturnal dipping increase vascular risk, it is not known whether either or both are also associated with brain atrophy, cerebral perfusion, and functional status...
- Hyponatremia in older womenIhab Hajjar
Division of Geriatrics, University of South Carolina/Palmetto Health Alliance, Columbia, SC, USA
J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich) 6:37-9. 2004
- A multidisciplinary management program in primary care to improve hypertension control and healthy behaviors in elderly patientsIhab M Hajjar
J Am Geriatr Soc 55:624-6. 2007
- Angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors and cognitive and functional decline in patients with Alzheimer's disease: an observational studyIhab M Hajjar
Institute for Aging Research Hebrew SeniorLife, Harvard Medical School, and the Beth Israel Deconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02131, USA
Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen 23:77-83. 2008..This study suggests that use of ACEI in AD patients is associated with slower rate of AD progression. A randomized clinical trial is needed to confirm our finding...
- Aging and The Renin-Angiotensin System in Elderly Hypertensive IndividualsIhab Hajjar; Fiscal Year: 2007..It will also allow us to combine expertise from various fields to increase our understanding of the underlying mechanism by which cardiovascular disease affects aging. ..