- Cavitation fatigue. Embolism and refilling cycles can weaken the cavitation resistance of xylem
U G Hacke
Department of Biology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112, USA
Plant Physiol 125:779-86. 2001
..The increased air permeability in weakened xylem could result from rupture or loosening of the cellulosic mesh of interconduit pit membranes during the water stress and cavitation treatment...
- Scaling of angiosperm xylem structure with safety and efficiency
Uwe G Hacke
Department of Biology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Tree Physiol 26:689-701. 2006
..This was consistent with an underlying scaling of L to D(3/2) across species. Pit flow resistance did not increase with cavitation safety, suggesting that cavitation pressure was not related to mean pit membrane porosity...
- Torus-margo pits help conifers compete with angiosperms
Department of Biology, University of Utah, 257S 1400E, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Science 310:1924. 2005
..The evolution of this membrane was as hydraulically important as that of vessels. Without their specialized pits, conifers would have 38 times the flow resistance, making conifer-dominated ecosystems improbable in an angiosperm world...
- Drought's legacy: multiyear hydraulic deterioration underlies widespread aspen forest die-off and portends increased future risk
William R L Anderegg
Department of Biology, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Glob Chang Biol 19:1188-96. 2013
..Finally, our findings highlight the critical role of drought stress accumulation and repair of stress-induced damage for avoiding plant mortality, presenting a dynamic and contingent framework for drought impacts on forest ecosystems...
- Linking irradiance-induced changes in pit membrane ultrastructure with xylem vulnerability to cavitation
Department of Renewable Resources, University of Alberta, Alberta, Canada T6G 2E3, and Department of Biology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84025, USA
Plant Cell Environ 34:501-13. 2011
..Scanning electron microscopy based estimates of pit membrane porosity probably overestimated real porosity as suggested by the results from the 'rare pit' model...
- Mechanical reinforcement of tracheids compromises the hydraulic efficiency of conifer xylem
Department of Integrative Biology, University of California, Berkeley 94720, USA
Plant Cell Environ 29:1618-28. 2006
- Evaluation of centrifugal methods for measuring xylem cavitation in conifers, diffuse- and ring-porous angiosperms
State Key Laboratory of Soil Erosion and Dryland Farming, Institute of Soil and Water Conservation, CAS and MWR, Yangling Shaanxi, China
New Phytol 177:558-68. 2008
..Close correspondence inspires confidence in both methods, each of which has unique advantages. The observation that ring-porous species operate at only a fraction of their potential conductivity at midday demands further study...