Affiliation: University of California
- Effectiveness Guidance Document (EGD) for acupuncture research - a consensus document for conducting trialsClaudia M Witt
Institute for Social Medicine, Epidemiology and Health Economics, Charite University Medical Center, Berlin, Germany
BMC Complement Altern Med 12:148. 2012..The aim of this EGD is to provide specific recommendations for the design of prospective acupuncture studies to support optimal use of resources for generating evidence that will inform stakeholder decision-making...
- Type 2 diabetes and 10-year risk of dementia and cognitive impairment among older Mexican AmericansElizabeth R Mayeda
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
Diabetes Care 36:2600-6. 2013..We evaluated the association of diabetes with incidence of dementia and cognitive impairment without dementia (CIND) among older Mexican Americans while accounting for competing risk from death...
- Cognitive function and retinal and ischemic brain changes: the Women's Health InitiativeM Haan
Departments of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Neurology 78:942-9. 2012..To examine the association between retinopathy and cognitive decline or brain lesions and volumes in older women...
- Life-span socioeconomic trajectory, nativity, and cognitive aging in Mexican Americans: the Sacramento Area Latino Study on AgingMary N Haan
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94118, USA
J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 66:i102-10. 2011..Early life circumstances influence health across the life span. Migration and ethnicity may modify the lifetime trajectory of socioeconomic status (SES) and lead to heterogeneity in cognitive aging in later life...
- Demographic, neuropsychological, and functional predictors of rate of longitudinal cognitive decline in Hispanic older adultsSarah Tomaszewski Farias
Department of Neurology, University of California, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 19:440-50. 2011..This study evaluated which baseline demographic, neuropsychological, and functional variables were most strongly associated with future longitudinal decline in global cognitive function...
- Metabolic syndrome and cognitive decline in elderly Latinos: findings from the Sacramento Area Latino Study of Aging studyKristine Yaffe
Department of Psychiatry, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco VA Medical Center, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 55:758-62. 2007..To investigate the effect of metabolic syndrome on cognitive function in an elderly Latino population and to determine whether inflammation modifies this association...
- Brain imaging evidence of preclinical Alzheimer's disease in normal agingWilliam Jagust
School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, USA
Ann Neurol 59:673-81. 2006..This study was designed to test the hypothesis that baseline glucose metabolism and medial temporal lobe brain volumes are predictive of cognitive decline in normal older people...
- Neuropsychiatric symptoms in Latino elders with dementia or cognitive impairment without dementia and factors that modify their association with caregiver depressionLadson Hinton
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, Davis, USA
Gerontologist 43:669-77. 2003....
- A randomized trial of the effect of a plant-based dietary pattern on additional breast cancer events and survival: the Women's Healthy Eating and Living (WHEL) StudyJohn P Pierce
Cancer Center, University of California, San Diego, CA 92093 0645, USA
Control Clin Trials 23:728-56. 2002..We will assess evidence of effectiveness by the length of the breast cancer event-free interval, as well as by overall survival separately in all the women in the study as well as specifically in women under and over the age of 55 years...
- EPIDEMIOLOGY OF FUNCTIONAL STATUS IN ELDERLY HISPANICSMary Haan; Fiscal Year: 2007..This study provides a highly appropriate model in which to study the influence of sociocultural and vascular risk factors on cognitive impairment, depression and dementia in a unique, understudied and at-risk population. ..
- Diabetes in older Latinos, stress and brain changesMary Haan; Fiscal Year: 2004..This study offers an opportunity to understand the role of environmental and physiologic stress in neurological consequences of diabetes and further examine the link between diabetes and dementia. ..
- EPIDEMIOLOGY OF FUNCTIONAL STATUS IN ELDERLY HISPANICSMary Haan; Fiscal Year: 2001..The investigative team is multidisciplinary and highly experienced in research in epidemiology, neurology, cardiovascular disease, and cognitive sciences. ..
- EPIDEMIOLOGY OF FUNCTIONAL STATUS IN ELDERLY HISPANICSMary N Haan; Fiscal Year: 2010..It will address the role of social and cultural factors in this context. Study results will have implications for prevention of late life impairments that will be applicable beyond this particular ethnic group. ..