M N Haan
Affiliation: University of California
- The role of APOE epsilon4 in modulating effects of other risk factors for cognitive decline in elderly personsM N Haan
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, University of California, School of Medicine, Davis 95616, USA
JAMA 282:40-6. 1999..These risks may be modified by gene-environment interactions between apolipoprotein E (APOE) genotype and CVD risk factors or subclinical CVD...
- Brain function and cognition in a community sample of elderly LatinosWilliam J Jagust
Department of Neurology, University of California Davis Medical Center, 4860 Y Street, Suite 3700, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Neurology 59:378-83. 2002..This study was designed to extend this finding to individuals selected from a population-based cohort of Mexican Americans with a wide spectrum of cognitive ability...
- Low erythrocyte folate, but not plasma vitamin B-12 or homocysteine,is associated with dementia in elderly LatinosA K Campbell
University of California, Davis, CA, USA
J Nutr Health Aging 9:39-43. 2005..We conclude that folate status is associated with dementia but that more research is needed on the relationship between vitaminB-12 status, Hcy and cognitive function to explore possible associations with these parameters...
- Chart-recorded psychiatric diagnoses in women giving birth in California in 1992R H Kelly
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, Davis, USA
Am J Psychiatry 156:955-7. 1999..This study examines the occurrence of chart-recorded psychiatric discharge diagnoses among all women delivering in California hospitals in 1992...
- Preliminary evidence that estrogen protects against age-related hippocampal atrophyJ L Eberling
Department of Neurology and Center for Neuroscience, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Neurobiol Aging 24:725-32. 2003..These findings suggest a neuroprotective effect of estrogen...
- Body composition in the elderly: the influence of nutritional factors and physical activityD Mitchell
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, University of California, Davis, USA
J Nutr Health Aging 7:130-9. 2003..Controversy exists regarding the relative contribution of diet and exercise to body composition. Few studies have examined these associations in the elderly, where changes occur in the body fat to muscle ratio...
- Brain structure and cognition in a community sample of elderly LatinosC C Wu
Department of Neurology, University of California-Davis Medical Center, 4860 Y Street, Suite 3700, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Neurology 59:383-91. 2002..Because there is a synergistic effect between high WMH and hippocampal atrophy, interactions between vascular and degenerative processes may be important determinants of dementia...
- Acculturation and the prevalence of depression in older Mexican Americans: baseline results of the Sacramento Area Latino Study on AgingH M Gonzalez
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 2029, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 49:948-53. 2001..To determine the association between acculturation, immigration, and prevalence of depression in older Mexican Americans...
- Cross-sectional correlates of fasting hyperinsulinaemia in post-menopausal women of different ethnic originA D Pradhan
Division of Preventive Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Diabet Med 23:77-85. 2006..In a large ethnically diverse nationwide sample of post-menopausal women we explored the relationship between fasting insulin levels, ethnicity, and a wide range of anthropometric, socio-economic, and lifestyle factors...
- Central obesity and increased risk of dementia more than three decades laterR A Whitmer
Kaiser Permanente Division of Research, 2000 Broadway, Oakland, CA 94612, USA
Neurology 71:1057-64. 2008..No studies have evaluated whether the same pattern exists with dementia. The objective was to evaluate the association between midlife central obesity and risk of dementia three decades later...
- Use of statins and incidence of dementia and cognitive impairment without dementia in a cohort studyC Cramer
Department of Epidemiology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Neurology 71:344-50. 2008..This study aimed to test the association between use of statins and incidence of dementia and cognitive impairment without dementia (CIND) over 5 years of follow-up...