Affiliation: University of Illinois at Chicago
- Overview of liver pathologyGrace Guzman
Dis Mon 54:419-31. 2008
- Liver Injury with Features Mimicking Autoimmune Hepatitis following the Use of Black CohoshGrace Guzman
Department of Pathology, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Case Report Med 2009:918156. 2009..Liver injury following the use of black cohosh should be included in the list of differential diagnoses for chronic hepatitis with features mimicking autoimmune hepatitis...
- Does nonalcoholic fatty liver disease predispose patients to hepatocellular carcinoma in the absence of cirrhosis?Grace Guzman
Department of Pathology, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60614, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 132:1761-6. 2008..Diabetes and the metabolic syndrome are also associated with HCC. However, it is not clear whether NAFLD predisposes patients to HCC in the absence of cirrhosis...
- A pilot study of vasculogenic mimicry immunohistochemical expression in hepatocellular carcinomaGrace Guzman
Department of Pathology, University of Illinois Medical Center at Chicago, 840 S Wood St, Room 130 CSN MC 847, Chicago, IL 60612 7335, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 131:1776-81. 2007..The "de novo" formation of fluid-conducting patterns by tumor cells, termed vasculogenic mimicry (VM), is associated with increased mortality in many different solid tumors...
- Alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase (AMACR/P504S) can distinguish hepatocellular carcinoma and dysplastic hepatocytes from benign nondysplastic hepatocytesGrace Guzman
Department of Pathology, University of Illinois at Chicago Medical Center UICMC, College of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 14:411-6. 2006..Prospective studies are needed to determine whether staining for AMACR can distinguish HCC or dysplasia in cytologic and small histologic specimens...
- Nectin-1 expression in the normal and neoplastic human uterine cervixGrace Guzman
Department of Pathology, University of Illinois, College of Medicine, Chicago
Arch Pathol Lab Med 130:1193-5. 2006..Reduced expression of nectin-1 has been reported in invasive carcinomas of the human skin...
- p53, Ki-67, and serum alpha feto-protein as predictors of hepatocellular carcinoma recurrence in liver transplant patientsGrace Guzman
Department of Pathology, University of Illinois at Chicago Medical Center UICMC, College of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Mod Pathol 18:1498-503. 2005..Identification of patients at risk for early post-transplant recurrence could be used to guide surveillance and adjuvant treatment strategies...
- Intestinal spirochetosisGrace Guzman
Department of Pathology, Division of Surgical Pathology, University of Illinois Medical Center, Chicago 60612, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 128:1188. 2004
- Nucleometric study of anisonucleosis, diabetes and oxidative damage in liver biopsies of orthotopic liver transplant recipients with chronic hepatitis C virus infectionGrace Guzman
Department of Pathology, College of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Room 130, 840 South Wood Street, M C 847, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Pathol Oncol Res 17:191-9. 2011..0016), and among those who have heightened hepatic expression of the oxidative damage marker 8-OHdG (p = 0.0053). Further studies are necessary to determine whether anisonucleosis is an independent marker for diabetes or oxidative damage...
- Diabetes and hepatic oxidative damage are associated with hepatitis C progression after liver transplantationScott J Cotler
Department of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
Transplantation 84:587-91. 2007..The aim of this study was to evaluate the relationship among PTDM, oxidative damage in liver biopsy specimens, and fibrosis progression posttransplant...
- Ethnicity and body mass index are associated with hepatitis C presentation and progressionEric R Kallwitz
Department of Medicine, University of Illinois, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 8:72-8. 2010..We evaluated the association between elements of the metabolic syndrome and ethnicity in the histologic progression of HCV in a large, diverse cohort...
- The histologic spectrum of liver disease in African-American, non-Hispanic white, and Hispanic obesity surgery patientsEric R Kallwitz
Department of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, 840 S Wood Street, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 104:64-9. 2009..The aim of this study was to evaluate ethnic differences in the prevalence of NAFLD and non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) and to compare the severity of histologic features of NASH in obesity surgery patients...
- Immunohistochemical expression of components of the Akt-mTORC1 pathway is associated with hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with chronic liver diseaseScott J Cotler
Department of Medicine, The University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Dig Dis Sci 53:844-9. 2008..Activation of the Akt-mTORC1 signaling pathway was evaluated in premalignant and hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) lesions by assessing the expression of pS6, an Akt effector, and PTEN, an Akt suppressor...
- Hepatic decompensation after gastric bypass surgery for severe obesityScott J Cotler
Section of Hepatology, The University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Dig Dis Sci 49:1563-8. 2004
- Measurement of liver fat content using selective saturation at 3.0 TScott J Cotler
Section of Hepatology, Department of Pathology, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
J Magn Reson Imaging 25:743-8. 2007..To validate an MRI technique for measuring liver fat content by calibrating MRI readings with liver phantoms and comparing MRI measurements in human subjects with estimates of liver fat content on liver biopsy specimens...
- Liver biopsy findings following donor lymphocyte infusionShou Jin Wu
Department of Pathology, University of Illinois at Chicago, IL 60612 7335, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 129:1061-2. 2005
- Elevated systemic hepcidin and iron depletion in obese premenopausal femalesLisa M Tussing-Humphreys
Department of Kinesiology and Nutrition, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 18:1449-56. 2010..However, these findings suggest inflammation may perpetuate this condition by hepcidin-mediated inhibition of dietary iron absorption...
- Short-term outcome in the first 10 morbidly obese adolescent patients in the FDA-approved trial for laparoscopic adjustable gastric bandingAi Xuan Holterman
Division of Pediatric Surgery, Department of Surgery, and the New Hope Pediatric and Adolescent Weight Management Project, University of Illinois at Chicago, USA
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 45:465-73. 2007....
- Cardiomyopathy in multiple Acyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency: a clinico-pathological correlation and review of literatureMohit Singla
Department of Pediatrics, University of Illinois College of Medicine, 840 S Wood St, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Pediatr Cardiol 29:446-51. 2008..This is the first detailed case report of clinico-pathological correlation of MADD in an infant and brings into light a rare form of cardiomyopathy as a differential diagnosis in critically ill patients...
- Pathologic quiz case: a woman with human immunodeficiency virus with right lower quadrant pain and ascending colon mass. Histoplasmosis of the colonJigna C Jani
Department of Pathology, University of Illinois at Chicago, 60612, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 129:259-61. 2005
- Increased neurotensin receptor-1 expression during progression of colonic adenocarcinomaXianyong Gui
Department of Pathology, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
Peptides 29:1609-15. 2008..NTSR1 may thus be a potential target for preventive or therapeutic strategies in colon cancer...
- Marjolin ulcer: an overlooked entitySasha Pavlovic
Department of Pathology, College of Medicine, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Int Wound J 8:419-24. 2011..This is a case report of a Marjolin ulcer arising on the left buttock of a patient with a long-standing history of a traumatic wound...
- High-grade pelvic osteosarcoma with intravascular extension to the right side of the heart: a case report and review of the literatureJigna C Jani
Department of Pathology, University of Illinois at Chicago, 60612, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 129:241-3. 2005..We describe a unique case of intravascular extension of the tumor embolus in a cordlike fashion from the left femoral vein to the right side of the heart that morphologically resembled a chondrosarcoma...
- Glossal angiomyoma: imaging findings and endovascular treatmentFranklin A Marden
Department of Radiology, University of Illinois Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Head Neck 26:1084-8. 2004..We describe for the first time the CT, MRI, and angiographic imaging features and successful preoperative endovascular embolization of an angiomyoma of the tongue. The pathologic findings before and after embolization are also described...
- Clear cell sarcoma: an institutional reviewIra A Jacobs
Department of Surgical Oncology, The University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Am Surg 70:300-3. 2004..These tumors present a high risk for development of distant disease and therefore warrant aggressive surgical management and treatment. Neither aggressive multiagent chemotherapy nor radiotherapy appeared to have an impact on outcome...
- On the origin of hepatic fibrosisGrace Guzman
Arch Pathol Lab Med 128:1212-4. 2004