Marlon A Guerrero
Affiliation: University of Arizona
- Medullary Thyroid Cancer: It is a pain in the neck?Marlon A Guerrero
1 Department of Surgery, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, USA
J Cancer 2:200-5. 2011..The results of this study suggest that MTC patients, who present with concomitant neck pain, should undergo a total thyroidectomy, prophylactic bilateral central neck dissection, and ipsilateral lateral neck dissection...
- Controversies in the management of papillary thyroid cancer revisitedMarlon A Guerrero
Department of Surgery, University of Arizona, 1501 N Campbell Avenue, P O Box 245131, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
ISRN Oncol 2011:303128. 2011..This paper addresses these three controversies and the role of molecular tumor markers in the appropriate treatment selection...
- Comprehensive literature review: recent advances in diagnosing and managing patients with poorly differentiated thyroid carcinomaJack Hannallah
Department of Surgery, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, USA
Int J Endocrinol 2013:317487. 2013..We conducted a comprehensive review of the current diagnostic and therapeutic tools in the management of patients with poorly differentiated thyroid carcinomas...
- Adrenocortical carcinoma and synchronous malignanciesMarlon A Guerrero
1 University of Arizona, Department of Surgery, 1501 N Campbell Ave, Room 4327D, Tucson AZ, 85724 5131, USA
J Cancer 1:108-11. 2010..02% of all reported cancers. ACC commonly arises in a sporadic manner, but may also manifest as part of a familial syndrome. Regardless of the setting, ACC rarely arises concurrent with other malignant tumors...
- Age and tumor size predicts lymph node involvement in Hürthle Cell CarcinomaMarlon A Guerrero
1 Department of Surgery, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85724 5131, USA
J Cancer 1:23-6. 2010..Our data suggest that these patients may benefit from a prophylactic ipsilateral central neck dissection at the time of their initial operation...
- Cryopreservation of parathyroid glandsMarlon A Guerrero
Department of Surgery, The University of Arizona, 1501 N Campbell Avenue, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Int J Endocrinol 2010:829540. 2010..This article provides a contemporary review on cryopreservation of parathyroid tissue and its current role in thyroid and parathyroid surgery...
- The number of needle passes affects the accuracy of parathyroid hormone assay with intraoperative parathyroid aspirationMarlon A Guerrero
Department of Surgery, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Am J Surg 200:701-5; discussion 705-6. 2010..However, the reported aspiration technique varies in the literature. We sought to determine if the number of passes affected the accuracy of PTH analysis...
- Fluorodeoxyglucose-positron emission tomography scan-positive recurrent papillary thyroid cancer and the prognosis and implications for surgical managementJennifer M J Schreinemakers
Department of Surgery, University of California, 1600 Divisadero Street, Box 1711, San Francisco, CA 94115, USA
World J Surg Oncol 10:192. 2012....
- Distinct loci on chromosome 1q21 and 6q22 predispose to familial nonmedullary thyroid cancer: a SNP array-based linkage analysis of 38 familiesInsoo Suh
Department of Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Surgery 146:1073-80. 2009..We aimed to identify loci linked to FNMTC susceptibility using single-nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) array-based linkage analysis in a broad sampling of affected families...
- Serum thyroglobulin is a poor diagnostic biomarker of malignancy in follicular and Hurthle-cell neoplasms of the thyroidInsoo Suh
Department of Surgery, University of California San Francisco, 513 Parnassus Ave, San Francisco, CA 94143 0470, USA
Am J Surg 200:41-6. 2010..However, some clinicians measure preoperative Tg as a diagnostic cancer marker despite lack of supporting evidence. We examined whether Tg accurately predicts malignancy in follicular or Hürthle-cell neoplasms...
- Clinical spectrum of pheochromocytomaMarlon A Guerrero
Department of Surgery, University of California, 1600 Divisadero St, San Francisco, CA 94115, USA
J Am Coll Surg 209:727-32. 2009..The goal of this study was to determine if tumor size and hormone level correlate according to the clinical presentation at diagnosis...
- Intraoperative diagnostic strategy to distinguish parathyroid adenomas from metastatic thyroid cancerMarlon A Guerrero
Department of Surgery, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Endocr Pract 15:454-7. 2009..To report the limitations of frozen section examination and the value of intraoperative tissue aspiration for parathyroid hormone assay to distinguish parathyroid adenomas from metastatic thyroid carcinoma...
- Diagnostic markers and prognostic factors in thyroid cancerMenno R Vriens
Department of Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Future Oncol 5:1283-93. 2009..It is especially useful for indeterminate nodules by fine-needle aspiration biopsy...
- Recent advances in the surgical treatment of differentiated thyroid cancer: a comprehensive reviewRaghunandan Venkat
Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85724 5131, USA
ScientificWorldJournal 2013:425136. 2013..In the absence of overt nodal metastasis, the role of elective prophylactic central lymph node dissection remains a matter of debate and prospective, randomized studies are warranted to evaluate the utility of this procedure...
- Radiation treatment of patients with primary pediatric malignancies: risk of developing thyroid cancer as a secondary malignancyJessica Rose
Department of Surgery, University of Arizona School of Medicine, 1501 N Campbell Avenue, Office 4327, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Am J Surg 204:881-6; discussion 886-7. 2012..The aim of this study was to estimate the risk of thyroid cancer as a secondary malignancy after radiation treatment of primary pediatric malignancies...
- Laterality of central venous sampling: lack of effect on the accuracy of intraoperative parathyroid hormone monitoringLev N Korovin
Department of Surgery, University of Arizona College of Medicine, 1501 N Campbell Avenue, Office 4327, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Am J Surg 206:883-6; discussion 886-7. 2013..The purpose of this study was to determine if laterality of internal jugular vein (IJV) sampling affects the accuracy of intraoperative parathyroid hormone (PTH) monitoring during parathyroidectomy for primary hyperparathyroidism...
- Gene-expression profiling of adrenocortical carcinomaInsoo Suh
Department of Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Expert Rev Mol Diagn 9:343-51. 2009..In this article, we discuss the limitations of the clinical management of ACC, and the gene-expression profile studies that have attempted to address these limitations...
- Risk factors and outcomes of blood transfusions in adrenalectomyRaghunandan Venkat
Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona
J Surg Res 199:505-11. 2015..We sought to evaluate the preoperative risk factors associated with blood transfusion and its effects on postoperative outcomes after adrenalectomy...
- Hemeoxygenase-1 mediated hypercoagulability in a patient with thyroid cancerVance G Nielsen
Department of Anesthesiology bDepartment of Surgery, The University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, AZ, USA
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 24:663-5. 2013..This initial observation serves as a rationale to further investigate the role played by hemeoxygenase-1 upregulation in the setting of cancers associated with increased endogenous carbon monoxide production. ..
- Resident participation and postoperative outcomes in adrenal surgeryRaghunandan Venkat
Department of Surgery, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona Electronic address
J Surg Res 190:559-64. 2014..The purpose of this study is to identify if resident participation in laparoscopic adrenalectomy (LA) and open adrenalectomy (OA) cases is associated with deleterious outcomes...