Erik J Groessl
Affiliation: University of California
- Measuring the impact of cataract surgery on generic and vision-specific quality of lifeErik J Groessl
UCSD Health Services Research Center, University of California San Diego, 9500 Gilman Dr 0994, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Qual Life Res 22:1405-14. 2013..We compared the sensitivity of a vision-specific health-related quality of life (HRQOL) measure to that of multiple generic measures of HRQOL before and at 2 time points after cataract surgery...
- Increasing antiviral treatment through integrated hepatitis C care: a randomized multicenter trialErik J Groessl
VA San Diego Healthcare System, USA
Contemp Clin Trials 35:97-107. 2013..The Integrated Care intervention has the potential to transform HCV antiviral treatment by increasing the number of HCV-infected individuals that can be successfully treated. ..
- The benefits of yoga for women veterans with chronic low back painErik J Groessl
Health Services Research and Development, VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
J Altern Complement Med 18:832-8. 2012..The purpose of this study was to assess the impact of a yoga intervention on women and men with CLBP. SUBJECTS/SETTING/INTERVENTION: VA patients with CLBP were referred by primary care providers to a clinical yoga program...
- National patterns and predictors of liver biopsy use for management of hepatitis CErik J Groessl
VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
J Hepatol 57:252-9. 2012..To identify the factors that influence the use of liver biopsy for HCV patients, we describe variations in liver biopsy use at the delivery system and patient level in a national VA sample...
- The hepatitis C self-management programme: a randomized controlled trialE J Groessl
VA San Diego Healthcare System, CA, USA
J Viral Hepat 18:358-68. 2011..The intervention can improve the health of people with hepatitis C, independent of antiviral therapy. Future research will study longer-term outcomes, effects on antiviral treatment and costs...
- Development of the hepatitis C self-management programErik J Groessl
Health Services Research and Development, VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Patient Educ Couns 83:252-5. 2011..Herein, we describe a recently developed self-management program designed to assist HCV-infected patients with adherence and improve their health-related quality of life (HRQOL)...
- Yoga for veterans with chronic low-back painErik J Groessl
Health Services Research and Development, V A San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
J Altern Complement Med 14:1123-9. 2008..Before starting yoga, a VA physician trained in yoga evaluated each patient to ensure that they could participate safely...
- Health-related quality of life in older adults at risk for disabilityErik J Groessl
Health Services Research and Development Unit, VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, California 92161, USA
Am J Prev Med 33:214-8. 2007..The objective of this study is to describe and examine correlates of health-related quality of life in this population subgroup using baseline data from a larger intervention study...
- Sociodemographic differences in quality of life in rheumatoid arthritisErik J Groessl
Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, California 92161, USA
Pharmacoeconomics 24:109-21. 2006..Additional research is needed to identify the exact causes of HR-QOL differences so that quality treatment can be provided to those in need...
- Body mass index and quality of well-being in a community of older adultsErik J Groessl
Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, University of California at San Diego, San Diego, California 92093 0994, USA
Am J Prev Med 26:126-9. 2004..This study evaluates the relationship between body mass index (BMI) and HRQOL scores and gives estimates of quality-adjusted life years (QALYs) lost to overweight, obesity, and associated conditions...
- Development and validation of a mental health subscale from the Quality of Well-Being Self-AdministeredAndrew J Sarkin
Health Services Research Center, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Qual Life Res 22:1685-96. 2013..The purpose of this study was to create and validate a mental health subscale for the Quality of Well-Being Self-Administered (QWB-SA)...
- A cost analysis of a physical activity intervention for older adultsErik J Groessl
Dept of Family and Preventive Medicine, University of California San Diego, CA, USA
J Phys Act Health 6:767-74. 2009..Costs for this PA program for older adults are comparable to those of other PA interventions. The results are preliminary and a longer study is required to fully assess the costs and health benefits of these interventions...
- Cost-effectiveness of a mailed educational reminder to increase colorectal cancer screeningJeffrey K Lee
Department of Medicine, VA San Diego Healthcare System and University of California San Diego, 3350 La Jolla Village Drive, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
BMC Gastroenterol 11:93. 2011..2% among U.S. Veterans. The aim of our study was to assess the costs and cost-effectiveness of a mailed educational reminder on fecal occult blood test (FOBT) adherence...
- The hepatitis C self-management program: sustainability of primary outcomes at 1 yearErik J Groessl
1VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA, USA
Health Educ Behav 40:730-40. 2013..Our objective was to evaluate whether the effects of the HCV self-management program were sustained at the 12-month follow-up assessment...
- Validity of self-administered quality of well-being scale in musculoskeletal diseaseDominick L Frosch
University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
Arthritis Rheum 51:28-33. 2004..To evaluate the self-administered Quality of Well-Being (QWB-SA) Scale for patients with rheumatic diseases...
- Living with hepatitis C: qualitative interviews with hepatitis C-infected veteransErik J Groessl
Health Services Research and Development, VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA
J Gen Intern Med 23:1959-65. 2008..Chronic hepatitis C (HCV) infection affects millions of people in the USA and prevalence rates are higher in US veterans. The consequences of HCV infection include reduced quality of life, liver damage, and reduced longevity...
- Characteristics and impact of methamphetamine use in patients with chronic hepatitis CDana E Riley
From the Departments of Medicine DER, BC, SBH, Health Services Research and Development LL, EJG, and Psychiatry SR, VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA and Departments of Family and Preventive Medicine LL, EJG, Medicine BC, SBH, and Psychiatry SR, University of California, San Diego
J Addict Med 8:25-32. 2014..The purpose of this study was to determine the characteristics and HCV infection outcomes of patients with a history of MA use...
- Evaluating a measure of social health derived from two mental health recovery measures: the California Quality of Life (CA-QOL) and Mental Health Statistics Improvement Program Consumer Survey (MHSIP)Jordan A Carlson
Health Services Research Center and Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, University of California, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92093, USA
Community Ment Health J 47:454-62. 2011..70 with the SFQ. Concurrent validity with social health was supported for the identified scales. The current inclusion of these assessment tools allows community mental health programs to include social health in their assessments...
- Racial differences in self-rated health diminishing from 1972 to 2008Andrew J Sarkin
Health Services Research Center, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, San Diego, CA 92093 0994, USA
J Behav Med 36:44-50. 2013..The rate of change in the difference has slowed over time ([Formula: see text] = -.010, P = .021), suggesting that the reduction in the racial difference in self-rated health may be decelerating...
- The impact of the San Diego wildfires on a general mental health population residing in evacuation areasSteven Tally
Health Services Research Center, Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, MC0994, La Jolla, CA 92093 0994, USA
Adm Policy Ment Health 40:348-54. 2013..Gender and clinical diagnosis interacted with evacuation status for some fire impact variables. Loss of control and disruption of routine are discussed as possibly related factors. ..
- Quality of well-being in older people with osteoarthritisErik J Groessl
University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0994, USA
Arthritis Rheum 49:23-8. 2003..To examine the sensitivity of the Quality of Well-Being Scale (QWB) as a measure of health-related quality of life (HRQOL) in people with osteoarthritis (OA)...
- Applications of cost-effectiveness methodologies in behavioral medicineRobert M Kaplan
Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla 92093 0628, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 70:482-93. 2002..There are substantial opportunities to advance behavioral medicine by performing standardized cost-effectiveness analyses...
- Long-term outcomes and prognostic factors for patients with endoscopy-negative iron deficiencyAnny Soon
Department of Medicine, Gastroenterology 111D, VA San Diego Healthcare System and University of California, San Diego, 3550 La Jolla Village Drive, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Dig Dis Sci 58:488-95. 2013..The purpose of this study was to determine the long-term outcomes and predictors of gastrointestinal pathology and death in patients with endoscopy-negative IDA...
- Improving fecal occult blood testing compliance using a mailed educational reminderJeffrey K Lee
Department of Medicine, VA San Diego Healthcare System and University of California, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
J Gen Intern Med 24:1192-7. 2009..Randomized controlled trials have shown that annual screening fecal occult blood testing (FOBT) reduces CRC mortality and incidence. However, patient compliance with FOBT is low...
- The impact of long-term botulinum toxin injections on symptom severity in patients with spasmodic dysphoniaJohn F Damrose
Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of California, San Diego School of Medicine, La Jolla, CA 92103 8895, USA
J Voice 18:415-22. 2004..These results provide support for the efficacy of serial BT injections for SD and suggest that successful treatment may depend, in part, on patients' early recognition of returning symptoms...
- Chronic disease self-management and adherence to HIV medicationsAllen L Gifford
Center for Research in Patient Oriented Care and the Quality Enhancement Research Initiative QUERI in HIV, VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, California 92161, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 31:S163-6. 2002....
- The Global Consortium for Drug-resistant Tuberculosis Diagnostics (GCDD): design of a multi-site, head-to-head study of three rapid tests to detect extensively drug-resistant tuberculosisNaomi Hillery
Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
Trials 15:434. 2014..This paper describes the methodology employed in a prospective cohort study for head-to-head assessment of three different rapid diagnostic tools...
- Mental Health Recovery in the Patient-Centered Medical HomeMarisa Sklar
Marisa Sklar is with San Diego State University University of California San Diego Joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology, San Diego Gregory A Aarons is with Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, La Jolla Maria O Connell and Larry Davidson are with Department of Psychiatry, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT Erik J Groessl is with Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, University of California San Diego
Am J Public Health 105:1926-34. 2015..We examined the impact of transitioning clients from a mental health clinic to a patient-centered medical home (PCMH) on mental health recovery...
- Lifestyle Interventions and Independence for Elders pilot study: recruitment and baseline characteristicsJeffrey A Katula
Department of Health and Exercise Science, Wake Forest University, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27109, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 55:674-83. 2007..To describe several recruitment parameters derived from the Lifestyle Interventions and Independence for Elders pilot (LIFE-P) study for use in a full-scale trial of mobility disability prevention...
- Physical activity in prefrail older adults: confidence and satisfaction related to physical functionW Jack Rejeski
Department of Health and Exercise Science, Box 7868, Wake Forest University, Winston Salem, NC 27109, USA
J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 63:P19-26. 2008..This is an important finding in light of the importance of these process variables in behavior change and quality of life...
- Comparison of measured utility scores and imputed scores from the SF-36 in patients with rheumatoid arthritisRobert M Kaplan
Department of Health Services, UCLA School of Public Health, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Med Care 43:79-87. 2005..We sought to evaluate 3 methods for imputing utility-based outcomes from clinical trial data measured using the Medical Outcomes Study 36-Item Short Form (SF-36)...