Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of California
- Role of protein kinase C in the phosphorylation of CD33 (Siglec-3) and its effect on lectin activityKay Grobe
Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA, USA
Blood 99:3188-96. 2002..Notably, although this is the first example of serine/threonine phosphorylation in the subfamily of CD33-like Siglecs, some of the other members also have putative target sites in their cytoplasmic tails...
- Properties of group I allergens from grass pollen and their relation to cathepsin B, a member of the C1 family of cysteine proteinasesKay Grobe
University of California San Diego, La Jolla 92093 0687, USA
Eur J Biochem 269:2083-92. 2002..These results indicate a common origin of cathepsin B and beta-expansins, especially if taken together with their previously known biochemical properties...
- Heparan sulfate and development: differential roles of the N-acetylglucosamine N-deacetylase/N-sulfotransferase isozymesKay Grobe
Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Glycobiology Research and Training Center, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0687, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1573:209-15. 2002..Here, we review the role of the four vertebrate NDSTs in HS biosynthesis as well as their regulated expression. The main emphasis is the phenotypes of mice lacking one or more of the NDSTs...
- Regulated translation of heparan sulfate N-acetylglucosamine N-deacetylase/n-sulfotransferase isozymes by structured 5'-untranslated regions and internal ribosome entry sitesKay Grobe
Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Glycobiology Training and Research Center, University of California at San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093 0687, USA
J Biol Chem 277:30699-706. 2002..Because several growth factors and morphogens that bind heparan sulfate also contain structured 5'-UTRs, translational regulation may coordinate the action of these factors and their heparan sulfate co-receptors...
- Cerebral hypoplasia and craniofacial defects in mice lacking heparan sulfate Ndst1 gene functionKay Grobe
Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Glycobiology Research and Training Center, University of California San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093 0687, USA
Development 132:3777-86. 2005..Most importantly, the data suggest the possibility that defects in heparan sulfate synthesis could give rise to or contribute to a number of developmental brain and facial defects in humans...
- Variant heparan sulfates synthesized in developing mouse brain differentially regulate FGF signalingMiriam Ford-Perriss
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 3052
Glycobiology 12:721-7. 2002....
- Proteome analysis of maize pollen for allergy-relevant componentsArnd Petersen
Molecular and Clinical Allergology, Research Center Borstel, Borstel, Germany
Proteomics 6:6317-25. 2006..IgE-crossreactivity was further studied using immunoblot inhibition tests. Here, timothy pollen extract completely blocked IgE binding to maize, whereas maize pollen extract blocked IgE reactivity to only some timothy pollen allergens...
- Heparan sulfate biosynthetic gene Ndst1 is required for FGF signaling in early lens developmentYi Pan
Department of Medical and Molecular Genetics, Indiana University of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Development 133:4933-44. 2006..Taken together, these results establish an important role of Ndst1 function in FGF signaling during lens development...
- Bud specific N-sulfation of heparan sulfate regulates Shp2-dependent FGF signaling during lacrimal gland inductionYi Pan
Department of Medical and Molecular Genetics, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Development 135:301-10. 2008..Given the evolutionarily conserved roles of these genes, the localized activation of the Ndst-Fgfr-Shp2 genetic cascade is probably a general regulatory mechanism of FGF signaling in branching morphogenesis...
- Altered heparan sulfate structure in mice with deleted NDST3 gene functionSrinivas R Pallerla
Department of General Zoology and Genetics, Westfalische Wilhelms Universitat Munster, Munster, Germany
J Biol Chem 283:16885-94. 2008....
- Heparan sulfate Ndst1 gene function variably regulates multiple signaling pathways during mouse developmentSrinivas R Pallerla
Institut fur Allgemeine Zoologie und Genetik, Westfalische Wilhelms Universitat Munster, Munster, Germany
Dev Dyn 236:556-63. 2007..Our findings, therefore, suggest that defects in HS synthesis may contribute to multifactor types of congenital developmental defects in humans, including neural tube defects...