Steven C Griffen
Affiliation: University of California
- Administration of Lispro insulin with meals improves glycemic control, increases circulating leptin, and suppresses ghrelin, compared with regular/NPH insulin in female patients with type 1 diabetesSteven C Griffen
Medical Center, Patient Support and Services Building Suite G 400, University of California Davis, 4150 V Street, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:485-91. 2006..Exogenous insulin administration often poorly reproduces normal insulin patterns and may less effectively regulate leptin and ghrelin, two hormones involved in the control of appetite and adiposity...
- Dietary fructose accelerates the development of diabetes in UCD-T2DM rats: amelioration by the antioxidant, alpha-lipoic acidBethany P Cummings
Department of Molecular Biosciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California Davis, One Shields Ave, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 298:R1343-50. 2010..In conclusion, dietary fructose accelerates the onset of T2DM in UCD-T2DM rats, and LA ameliorates the effects of fructose by improving glucose homeostasis, possibly by preserving beta-cell function...
- Concomitant reduction of low-density lipoprotein-cholesterol and biomarkers of inflammation with low-dose simvastatin therapy in patients with type 1 diabetesIshwarlal Jialal
Laboratory for Atherosclerosis and Metabolic Research, University of California, Davis, Medical Center, Sacramento, California 95817, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:3136-40. 2007..TIDM is a proinflammatory state. Whereas there is consensus on lipid management in type 2 diabetes, there is a lack of data in type 1 diabetes. In addition to benefits on the lipid profile, statin therapy is antiinflammatory...
- Increased toll-like receptor (TLR) 2 and TLR4 expression in monocytes from patients with type 1 diabetes: further evidence of a proinflammatory stateSridevi Devaraj
Laboratory for Atherosclerosis and Metabolic Research, University of California Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, California 95817, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:578-83. 2008..TLR2 and TLR4 are important in atherosclerosis. However, there is a paucity of data examining TLR2 and TLR4 expression in T1DM and examining its contribution to the proinflammatory state...
- Evidence of increased inflammation and microcirculatory abnormalities in patients with type 1 diabetes and their role in microvascular complicationsSridevi Devaraj
Department of Pathology, Laboratory for Atherosclerosis and Metabolic Research, UCDavis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Diabetes 56:2790-6. 2007....
- Consumption of fructose-sweetened beverages for 10 weeks increases postprandial triacylglycerol and apolipoprotein-B concentrations in overweight and obese womenMichael M Swarbrick
Department of Nutrition, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Br J Nutr 100:947-52. 2008....
- Twenty-four-hour endocrine and metabolic profiles following consumption of high-fructose corn syrup-, sucrose-, fructose-, and glucose-sweetened beverages with mealsKimber L Stanhope
Department of Molecular Biosciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, Davis, CA 95616 8669, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 87:1194-203. 2008..However, pure fructose and glucose are not commonly used as sweeteners. High-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) has replaced sucrose as the predominant sweetener in beverages in the United States...
- Regulation of insulin gene transcription by ERK1 and ERK2 in pancreatic beta cellsShih Khoo
Department of Pharmacology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390, USA
J Biol Chem 278:32969-77. 2003..Phosphorylation increases their functional activity and results in a cumulative transactivation of the promoter. Thus, ERK1/2 act at multiple points to transduce a glucose signal to insulin gene transcription...
- Mechanism of insulin gene regulation by the pancreatic transcription factor Pdx-1: application of pre-mRNA analysis and chromatin immunoprecipitation to assess formation of functional transcriptional complexesTessy Iype
Department of Internal Medicine and the Diabetes Center, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908, USA
J Biol Chem 280:16798-807. 2005..This complex leads to enhancement of elongation by the basal transcriptional machinery...