Joan S Grant
Affiliation: University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Telephone intervention with family caregivers of stroke survivors after rehabilitationJoan S Grant
University of Alabama School of Nursing, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35294 0113, USA
Stroke 33:2060-5. 2002..The purpose of this study was to quantify the impact of social problem-solving telephone partnerships on primary family caregiver outcomes after stroke survivors are discharged home from a rehabilitation facility...
- Problems and associated feelings experienced by family caregivers of stroke survivors the second and third month postdischargeJoan S Grant
School of Nursing, University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA
Top Stroke Rehabil 13:66-74. 2006..About half of caregivers expressed more positive feelings toward managing these problems by week 8 and the majority expressed these feelings by week 12...
- Sociodemographic, physical and psychosocial factors associated with depressive behaviour in family caregivers of stroke survivors in the acute care phaseJoan S Grant
University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35249, USA
Brain Inj 18:797-809. 2004..This study examined sociodemographic, physical and psychosocial characteristics of family caregivers of stroke survivors at risk for depression...
- Caregiving problems and feelings experienced by family caregivers of stroke survivors the first month after dischargeJoan S Grant
School of Nursing, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35294 1210, USA
Int J Rehabil Res 27:105-11. 2004..The first month of caregiving is very dynamic and distressful for caregivers of stroke survivors and telephone contacts appear to be beneficial in assisting caregivers to cope with the caregiving process...
- Predictors of caregiver depression among community-residing families living with traumatic brain injuryPatricia Rivera
Department of Medicine Immunology Rheumatology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294 2041, USA
NeuroRehabilitation 22:3-8. 2007....
- Social support, social problem-solving abilities, and adjustment of family caregivers of stroke survivorsJoan S Grant
School of Nursing, University of Alabama, Birmingham, AL, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 87:343-50. 2006..To determine contributions of social support and social problem-solving abilities in prediction of adjustment of family caregivers of stroke survivors...
- Race and gender differences in 1-year outcomes for community-dwelling stroke survivors with family caregiversDavid L Roth
Department of Biostatistics, UAB, 1530 3rd Avenue South, Birmingham, AL 35294 0022, USA
Stroke 42:626-31. 2011..Race and gender differences in 1-year stroke outcomes were examined using an epidemiologically derived sample of first-time stroke survivors from the national REasons for Geographic and Racial Differences in Stroke (REGARDS) study...
- Reasons why persons living with HIV include individuals in their chosen familiesJoan S Grant
University of Alabama at Birmingham, School of Nursing, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care 24:50-60. 2013..These findings emphasize the need for health care providers to encourage the development of friendships and relationships between PLWH and those who provide love and acceptance, support, blood/familial ties, and common interests...
- A clinical translation of the research article titled "how persons with chronic hepatitis C in residential substance abuse treatment programs think about depression and interferon therapy"Norman L Keltner
University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
J Am Psychiatr Nurses Assoc 16:357-9. 2010
- Smoke, smoke, smoke that cigaretteNorman L Keltner
University of Alabama at Birmingham, AL, USA
Perspect Psychiatr Care 42:256-61. 2006
- Informal caregivers of persons with HIV/AIDS: a review and analysisWorawan Prachakul
University of Alabama, Birmingham School of Nursing, USA
J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care 14:55-71. 2003..Gaps and limitations of current research are discussed. Recommendations for future research and practice implications are also proposed...
- Relationships among functional social support, HIV-related stigma, social problem solving, and depressive symptoms in people living with HIV: a pilot studyWorawan Prachakul
faculty of nursing at Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen, Thailand
J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care 18:67-76. 2007..These results are preliminary but important in identifying potential components for effective interventions to reduce the risk of depressive symptoms in persons with HIV...
- Problem-solving training for family caregivers of persons with traumatic brain injuries: a randomized controlled trialPATRICIA A RIVERA
Birmingham Veterans Administration Medical Center, Birmingham, AL 35233, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 89:931-41. 2008..To test the hypothesis that a problem-solving training program would lower depression, health complaints, and burden, and increase well-being reported by community-residing family caregivers of persons with traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)...
- Psychobiological substrates of posttraumatic stress disorder: part IIJonathan S Dowben
Birmingham VA Hospital, AL, USA
Perspect Psychiatr Care 43:146-9. 2007