Affiliation: University of Texas
- The role of mesolimbic dopamine in the development and maintenance of ethanol reinforcementRueben A Gonzales
Department of Pharmacology, College of Pharmacy, The University of Texas at Austin, 1 University Station A1915, Austin, TX 78712 0125, USA
Pharmacol Ther 103:121-46. 2004..Thus, anatomical, pharmacological, neurochemical, cellular, and behavioral studies are more clearly defining the role of mesolimbic dopamine in ethanol reinforcement...
- Effect of operant self-administration of 10% ethanol plus 10% sucrose on dopamine and ethanol concentrations in the nucleus accumbensWilliam M Doyon
Division of Pharmacology, College of Pharmacy, University of Texas, Austin, Texas 78712-0125, USA
J Neurochem 93:1469-81. 2005..The dopamine response may be related to the stimulus properties of ethanol presentation, which were strongest during consumption...
- The dopamine response in the nucleus accumbens core-shell border differs from that in the core and shell during operant ethanol self-administrationElaina C Howard
Department of Pharmacology, College of Pharmacy, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas 78712, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 33:1355-65. 2009....
- Reduced basal and ethanol stimulation of striatal extracellular dopamine concentrations in dopamine D2 receptor knockout miceMartin O Job
The University of Texas at Austin, PHAR Pharmacology, Austin, Texas 78712, USA
Synapse 60:158-64. 2006..In addition, the blunted ethanol-evoked DA response in the D2 knockouts may contribute, in part, to some of the behavioral deficits previously observed in response to ethanol...
- A 3-day exposure to 10% ethanol with 10% sucrose successfully initiates ethanol self-administrationJennifer Carrillo
College of Pharmacy, Department of Pharmacology, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX 78712, USA
Alcohol 42:171-8. 2008..Blood alcohol concentrations were 4.5 mM 20 min after consumption began. We conclude that initiation and establishment of ethanol self-administration will occur using this modified sucrose-fading procedure...
- Accumbal dopamine concentration during operant self-administration of a sucrose or a novel sucrose with ethanol solutionWilliam M Doyon
Division of Pharmacology, College of Pharmacy, University of Texas at Austin, PHAR Pharmacology, 1 University Station A1915, Austin, TX 78712, USA
Alcohol 34:261-71. 2004..In addition, oral self-administration of ethanol at 0.27 +/- 0.02 g/kg over 20 min is not sufficient for stimulation of dopamine activity in the nucleus accumbens...
- Dopamine activity in the nucleus accumbens during consummatory phases of oral ethanol self-administrationWilliam M Doyon
Division of Pharmacology, College of Pharmacy, University of Texas, Austin, Texas 78712, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 27:1573-82. 2003..Furthermore, we sought to define the relationship between ethanol in the brain and the accumbal dopamine response after oral self-administration of ethanol...
- Role of 5-hydroxytryptamine2C receptors in Ca2+-dependent ethanol potentiation of GABA release onto ventral tegmental area dopamine neuronsJonathan W Theile
Cell and Molecular Biology, College of Pharmacy, University of Texas, Austin, TX 78712 0125, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 329:625-33. 2009..These observations suggest that an increase in Ca(2+) release from intracellular stores via 5-HT(2C) receptor activation is involved in the ethanol-induced enhancement of GABA release onto VTA-DA neurons...
- Characterization of probe and tissue factors that influence interpretation of quantitative microdialysis experiments for dopamineAmanda Tang
Division of Pharmacology and Toxicology, College of Pharmacy, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX 78712, USA
J Neurosci Methods 126:1-11. 2003..These findings are consistent with a decrease in physiological viability of the dopamine nerve terminals surrounding the probe during a long-term experiment...
- Mu (mu) opioid receptor regulation of ethanol-induced dopamine response in the ventral striatum: evidence of genotype specific sexual dimorphic epistasisMartin O Job
Division of Pharmacology, College of Pharmacy, University of Texas, 1 University Station, Austin, TX 78712, USA
Biol Psychiatry 62:627-34. 2007..Mu (mu)-opioid (MOP) receptors modulate accumbal dopamine activity, but it is not clear whether MOP receptors are involved in the mechanism of ethanol-stimulated accumbal dopamine release...
- Ethanol preference is inversely correlated with ethanol-induced dopamine release in 2 substrains of C57BL/6 miceVorani Ramachandra
University of Texas at Austin, Pharmacology PHAR, Austin, Texas 78712, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 31:1669-76. 2007..Differences in ethanol-induced dopamine release in the ventral striatum could contribute to this variability in drinking behavior as dopamine has been implicated in the reinforcing properties of ethanol...
- Effect of gender and estrous cycle on the pharmacokinetics of ethanol in the rat brainDonita L Robinson
College of Pharmacy, University of Texas, Austin, Texas, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 26:165-72. 2002..This study used quantitative microdialysis to measure ethanol pharmacokinetics in the nucleus accumbens after a moderate dose of ethanol, comparing males with females and females across the estrous cycle...
- Ethanol increases extracellular dopamine concentration in the ventral striatum in C57BL/6 miceAmanda Tang
College of Pharmacy, University of Texas at Austin, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 27:1083-9. 2003..The dissociation between dopamine and ethanol may indicate an acute neural adaptation to ethanol-induced dopamine response in the ventral striatum after a single ethanol injection...
- Kappa-opioid receptor modulation of accumbal dopamine concentration during operant ethanol self-administrationWilliam M Doyon
Department of Neuroscience, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Neuropharmacology 51:487-96. 2006..Despite these neurochemical changes, NOR-BNI did not alter operant responding or ethanol intake, suggesting that the KOPr is not involved in ethanol-reinforced behavior under the limited conditions we studied...
- Repeated ethanol intoxication induces behavioral sensitization in the absence of a sensitized accumbens dopamine response in C57BL/6J and DBA/2J miceAgustin Zapata
Integrative Neuroscience Section, Behavioral Neuroscience Branch National Institute on Drug Abuse Intramural Research Program, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 31:396-405. 2006..These results suggest that, at least in the case of ethanol, sensitization of the DA mesolimbic system may not be necessary for the development of behavioral sensitization...
- Mu receptors and ethanol/dopamine interactionsRUEBEN GONZALES; Fiscal Year: 2007..Together, the proposed experiments will elucidate the role of mu opiate receptors in the modulation of mesolimbic dopamine activity by ethanol. ..
- NEUROCHEMICAL MECHANISMS OF ETHANOL SELF-ADMINISTRATIONRUEBEN GONZALES; Fiscal Year: 2007..Together the experiments proposed will provide new data on the role of dopamine in the early stages of the development of ethanol reinforcement in a behaviorally relevant context. ..
- NEUROCHEMICAL AND BEHAVIORAL CORRELATES OF ETOH EFFECTSRUEBEN GONZALES; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will continue to focus on minority recruitment. The training program has an excellent record and will continue to focus on producing well qualified alcohol researchers. ..
- Modulation of Effects of Repeated Ethanol Administratio*RUEBEN GONZALES; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- NEUROCHEMICAL MECHANISMS OF ETHANOL SELF-ADMINISTRATIONRUEBEN GONZALES; Fiscal Year: 2002..Increased understanding of the neurochemical mechanisms which underlie ethanol self-administration behavior may lead to new approaches for therapy of alcohol abuse and alcoholism. ..
- Mu receptors and ethanol/dopamine interactionsRUEBEN GONZALES; Fiscal Year: 2009..Together, the proposed experiments will elucidate the role of mu opiate receptors in the modulation of mesolimbic dopamine activity by ethanol. ..