Affiliation: University of New Mexico
- Surveillance of colorectal cancer screening in new Mexico hispanics and non-Hispanic whitesMelissa Gonzales
Department of Medicine, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Albuquerque, NM 87131 0001, USA
J Community Health 37:1279-88. 2012....
- Evaluation of land use regression models for NO2 in El Paso, Texas, USAMelissa Gonzales
University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Albuquerque, NM 97101 0001, USA
Sci Total Environ 432:135-42. 2012....
- Variability in childhood allergy and asthma across ethnicity, language, and residency duration in El Paso, Texas: a cross-sectional studyErik R Svendsen
University of South Carolina, Arnold School of Public Health, Columbia, SC, USA
Environ Health 8:55. 2009..We evaluated the impact of migration to the USA-Mexico border city of El Paso, Texas (USA), parental language preference, and Hispanic ethnicity on childhood asthma to differentiate between its social and environmental determinants...
- Validation of a questionnaire and microenvironmental model for estimating past exposures to ozoneMelissa Gonzales
University of New Mexico, School of Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Albuquerque, NM 87131 0001, USA
Int J Environ Health Res 13:249-60. 2003..The simple model was more precise and more practical for implementation in large epidemiological studies of health effects related to chronic exposure to ambient ozone...
- Risk factors for asthma and cough among Hispanic children in the southwestern United States of America, 2003-2004Melissa Gonzales
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Department of Internal Medicine, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131, USA
Rev Panam Salud Publica 21:274-81. 2007..United States of America) on the prevalence of asthma and dry nighttime cough among children 2-12 years old residing in the southwestern United States...
- Prevalence and predictors of home and automobile smoking bans and child environmental tobacco smoke exposure: a cross-sectional study of U.S.- and Mexico-born Hispanic women with young childrenMelissa Gonzales
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Department of Internal Medicine, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
BMC Public Health 6:265. 2006..S.- and Mexico-born Hispanics in the southwestern United States, and examined the influence of mother's country of birth and smoking practices on voluntary smoking bans and on child ETS exposure...
- Concentrations of surface-dust metals in Native American jewelry-making homes in Zuni Pueblo, New MexicoMelissa Gonzales
University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131, USA
Arch Environ Health 59:245-9. 2004..04). Ventilation measures did not effectively reduce metal concentrations in jewelers' homes; concentrations in nonwork areas remained elevated...
- Characterization of a spatial gradient of nitrogen dioxide across a United States-Mexico border city during winterMelissa Gonzales
Department of Internal Medicine, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, UNM LRRI Environmental Health Sciences Center, MSC 10 5550, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
Sci Total Environ 337:163-73. 2005..The results of this pilot study indicate that proximity to vehicle-related sources of NO(2) and site elevation are key predictors for future, more detailed assessments of vehicle-related air pollution exposure in the El Paso region...
- Temporal-spatial analysis of U.S.-Mexico border environmental fine and coarse PM air sample extract activity in human bronchial epithelial cellsFredine T Lauer
The University of New Mexico Center for Environmental Health Sciences, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 238:1-10. 2009..Spatially, the greatest gene expression increases were seen in extracts collected from the central most areas of El Paso which are also closest to highways and border crossings...
- DNA repair variants, indoor tanning, and risk of melanomaSalina M Torres
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM, USA
Pigment Cell Melanoma Res 26:677-84. 2013..This study, based on an a priori interest in investigating the role of DNA repair capacity using variants in base excision and nucleotide excision repair, identified several genes that may play a role in resolving UV-induced DNA damage. ..
- Receptor model comparisons and wind direction analyses of volatile organic compounds and submicrometer particles in an arid, binational, urban air shedShaibal Mukerjee
National Exposure Research Laboratory, U S Environmental Protection Agency, MD E205 02, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27711, USA
Environ Sci Technol 38:2317-27. 2004..Results from this study have application to source apportionment studies and mobile source emission control strategies that are ongoing in this air shed...
- Field method comparison between passive air samplers and continuous monitors for Vocs and NO2 in El Paso, TexasShaibal Mukerjee
U S Environmental Protection Agency, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, USA
J Air Waste Manag Assoc 54:307-19. 2004....
- Workplace, household, and personal predictors of pesticide exposure for farmworkersSara A Quandt
Division of Public Health Sciences, Dept of Epidemiology and Prevention, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157 1063, USA
Environ Health Perspect 114:943-52. 2006..Future studies should attempt to use similar behavioral, environmental, and psychosocial measures to build a body of evidence with which to better understand the risk factors for pesticide exposure among farmworkers...
- Gene-environment Cancer Risks in MelanomaMelissa Gonzales; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..