Affiliation: University of Chicago
- Survival in pulmonary arterial hypertension patients awaiting lung transplantationMardi Gomberg-Maitland
Medicine Electronic address
J Heart Lung Transplant 32:1179-86. 2013..Although several equations have been developed to predict PAH patient survival, it is unclear whether they can predict survival for patients awaiting transplantation...
- Transition from intravenous epoprostenol to intravenous treprostinil in pulmonary hypertensionMardi Gomberg-Maitland
Pulmonary Hypertension Center, University of Chicago Hospitals, 5841 South Maryland Avenue, MC 2016, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 172:1586-9. 2005..With the demonstration of bioequivalence between subcutaneous and intravenous treprostinil, intravenous treprostinil may have an overall better risk-benefit profile than intravenous epoprostenol...
- A dosing/cross-development study of the multikinase inhibitor sorafenib in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertensionM Gomberg-Maitland
Section of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Clin Pharmacol Ther 87:303-10. 2010..The most common adverse events were moderate skin reactions on the hands and feet and alopecia. Our conclusion was therefore that this is a tolerable dosing regimen for testing the therapeutic activity of sorafenib in PAH patients...
- Compelling evidence of long-term outcomes in pulmonary arterial hypertension? A clinical perspectiveMardi Gomberg-Maitland
University of Chicago Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 57:1053-61. 2011..Although definitive evidence will require randomized and properly controlled long-term trials, the current evidence supports the long-term use of these drugs for the treatment of patients with PAH...
- Traditional and alternative designs for pulmonary arterial hypertension trialsMardi Gomberg-Maitland
University of Chicago Medical Center, Section of Cardiology, MC2016, 5841 S Maryland Ave, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Proc Am Thorac Soc 5:610-6. 2008..In this new era in pulmonary arterial hypertension, we need to reconsider innovative trial designs to maximize efficiency and pursue agents with the greatest potential for cure...
- United States validation of the Cambridge Pulmonary Hypertension Outcome Review (CAMPHOR)Mardi Gomberg-Maitland
University of Chicago Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
J Heart Lung Transplant 27:124-30. 2008..To enable use in the United States, this study adapted, field-tested, and evaluated its reliability and validity at a single center in Chicago...
- A global pulmonary arterial hypertension registry: is it needed? Is it feasible? Pulmonary vascular disease: the global perspectiveMardi Gomberg-Maitland
Department of Medicine, University of Chicago Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Chest 137:95S-101S. 2010..A global database will help unify investigators and patients to foster collaboration and knowledge...
- Creation of a model comparing 6-minute walk test to metabolic equivalent in evaluating treatment effects in pulmonary arterial hypertensionMardi Gomberg-Maitland
Section of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
J Heart Lung Transplant 26:732-8. 2007..We compared the Naughton-Balke treadmill test reported in exercise metabolic equivalents (METs) with the 6MWT to evaluate whether MET could be a useful tool to assess exercise capacity...
- Anticoagulation in women with non-valvular atrial fibrillation in the stroke prevention using an oral thrombin inhibitor (SPORTIF) trialsMardi Gomberg-Maitland
Department of Medicine, Section of Cardiology, University of Chicago Hospitals, University of Chicago, 5841 S Maryland Avenue, MC2016, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Eur Heart J 27:1947-53. 2006..The risk of stroke is greater among women with atrial fibrillation (AF) than men. Warfarin protects against stroke, but treatment-related bleeding occurs more often in women than in men...
- Efficacy and safety of sildenafil added to treprostinil in pulmonary hypertensionMardi Gomberg-Maitland
University of Chicago Hospitals, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Am J Cardiol 96:1334-6. 2005..049). All patients had symptomatic improvement. In conclusion, this pilot study of subcutaneous treprostinil with sildenafil for PAH suggests additive beneficial effects...
- Prostacyclin therapy for pulmonary arterial hypertension: new directionsMardi Gomberg-Maitland
Division of Cardiology, University of Chicago Hospitals, IL 60637, USA
Semin Respir Crit Care Med 26:394-401. 2005..Because prostacyclin therapy is not curative and does not normalize pulmonary hemodynamics in the majority of cases, combining a prostacyclin with other PAH agents may be a promising approach...
- Are we appropriately triaging patients with unstable angina?Mardi Gomberg-Maitland
Advanced Heart Failure and Pulmonary Hypertension Program, University of Chicago Hospitals, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Am Heart J 149:613-8. 2005....
- Late gadolinium enhancement cardiovascular magnetic resonance predicts clinical worsening in patients with pulmonary hypertensionBenjamin H Freed
Section of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Cardiovasc Magn Reson 14:11. 2012..However, the prognostic role of RVIP-LGE and other CMR-derived parameters of RV function are not well established. Our aim was to evaluate the predictive value of contrast-enhanced CMR in patients with PH...
- Three-dimensional analysis of interventricular septal curvature from cardiac magnetic resonance images for the evaluation of patients with pulmonary hypertensionM Agustina Sciancalepore
University of Chicago MC5084, 5841 S Maryland Ave, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Int J Cardiovasc Imaging 28:1073-85. 2012..83) and Doppler-derived RV peak-systolic pressure (r = 0.75). 3D analysis of septal curvature from CMR images may become a useful component in the CMR examination in patients with known or suspected PH...
- Sample size and cost analysis for pulmonary arterial hypertension drug trials using various imaging modalities to assess right ventricular size and function end pointsKarima Addetia
Section of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, and Department of Radiology, University of Chicago, IL
Circ Cardiovasc Imaging 7:115-24. 2014....
- Risk assessment in pulmonary hypertension associated with heart failure and preserved ejection fractionRicha Agarwal
Section of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
J Heart Lung Transplant 31:467-77. 2012..Pulmonary hypertension (PH) is common in patients with left heart failure (HF), especially those with HF and preserved ejection fraction (HFpEF). However, there is limited data on risk stratification in these patients...
- Carbon monoxide diffusing capacity and mortality in pulmonary arterial hypertensionSonal Chandra
Section of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois
J Heart Lung Transplant 29:181-7. 2010..Little is known of its prognostic utility in World Health Organization (WHO) Group I PAH...
- Epigenetic attenuation of mitochondrial superoxide dismutase 2 in pulmonary arterial hypertension: a basis for excessive cell proliferation and a new therapeutic targetStephen L Archer
Department of Medicine, Section of Cardiology, University of Chicago, 5841 S Maryland Avenue, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Circulation 121:2661-71. 2010..Expression and activity of mitochondrial superoxide dismutase-2 (SOD2), the major generator of H(2)O(2), is known to be reduced in PAH; however, the mechanism and therapeutic relevance of this are unknown...
- Value of exercise treadmill testing in the risk stratification of patients with pulmonary hypertensionSanjiv J Shah
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, USA
Circ Heart Fail 2:278-86. 2009..The ability of the Naughton-Balke exercise treadmill test, an objective indicator of exercise capacity, to predict abnormal hemodynamics and mortality in pulmonary hypertension is unknown...
- Genomic assessment of a multikinase inhibitor, sorafenib, in a rodent model of pulmonary hypertensionLiliana Moreno-Vinasco
Section of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Physiol Genomics 33:278-91. 2008..In summary, sorafenib represents a novel potential treatment for severe PH with the MAPK cascade a potential canonical target...
- Prognostication in pulmonary arterial hypertensionRicha Agarwal
New York Presbyterian Hospital, Section of Cardiology, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
Heart Fail Clin 8:373-83. 2012..This article reviews the most common factors used for prognostication in PAH, emphasizing that proper strategies for identifying patients at greatest risk are paramount...
- Association of serum creatinine with abnormal hemodynamics and mortality in pulmonary arterial hypertensionSanjiv J Shah
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Ill 60637, USA
Circulation 117:2475-83. 2008..Renal dysfunction predicts mortality in patients with cardiovascular disease. How renal dysfunction relates to hemodynamics and mortality in pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) remains unclear...
- Diagnosis and management of pulmonary hypertension in systemic sclerosisNadera J Sweiss
Section of Rheumatology, University of Chicago, 5841 South Maryland Avenue MC6080, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Curr Rheumatol Rep 12:8-18. 2010..Approved therapies include prostacyclins, endothelin antagonists, and phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors. Research is needed to define disease mechanisms and develop effective therapies...
- Three-dimensional modeling of the right ventricle from two-dimensional transthoracic echocardiographic images: utility of knowledge-based reconstruction in pulmonary arterial hypertensionNicole M Bhave
Section of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago Medical Center, 5841 South Maryland Avenue, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
J Am Soc Echocardiogr 26:860-7. 2013....
- Referral of patients with pulmonary hypertension diagnoses to tertiary pulmonary hypertension centers: the multicenter RePHerral studyRoderick C Deaño
Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
JAMA Intern Med 173:887-93. 2013..Pulmonary hypertension (PH) is a fatal disease. Although the prognosis of pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) has improved with targeted therapies, the outcome is dependent on early detection and an accurate diagnosis...
- Validation of the pulmonary hypertension connection equation for survival prediction in pulmonary arterial hypertensionThenappan Thenappan
Section of Cardiology, University of Chicago Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Chest 141:642-50. 2012..The aim of this study is to validate the PHC equation in a prospective PAH population cohort and compare its predictability with the French equation...
- Long-term effects of epoprostenol on the pulmonary vasculature in idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertensionStuart Rich
Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Section of Cardiology, 5841 S Maryland Ave, Ste LO 8 MC 5403, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Chest 138:1234-9. 2010..Remarkably, the RV was able to sustain a normal cardiac output in the face of advanced vascular pathology. The mechanisms by which the RV adapts to chronic PAH need further study...
- Mitochondrial metabolism, redox signaling, and fusion: a mitochondria-ROS-HIF-1alpha-Kv1.5 O2-sensing pathway at the intersection of pulmonary hypertension and cancerStephen L Archer
University of Chicago, Section of Cardiology, IL 60637, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 294:H570-8. 2008..Mitochondrial abnormalities that disturb the ROS-HIF-1alpha-Kv1.5 O(2)-sensing pathway contribute to the pathogenesis of PAH and cancer and constitute promising therapeutic targets...
- The effect of diluent pH on bloodstream infection rates in patients receiving IV treprostinil for pulmonary arterial hypertensionJonathan D Rich
University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Chicago Medical Center, 5841 S Maryland Ave, MC 6080, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Chest 141:36-42. 2012..One possible explanation is the neutral pH of the treprostinil diluent compared with the basic pH of epoprostenol. We hypothesized that administering IV treprostinil with epoprostenol diluent will lower the rate of gram-negative BSI...
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and the incidence and outcome of pulmonary hypertensionSanjiv J Shah
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Chest 136:694-700. 2009..We sought to determine whether SSRIs are associated with a decreased incidence of PH in at-risk patients and whether SSRIs are associated with decreased mortality in patients with established PH...
- Usefulness of red cell distribution width as a prognostic marker in pulmonary hypertensionChetan V Hampole
Section of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Am J Cardiol 104:868-72. 2009..39 for NT-pro-BNP). Adding NT-pro-BNP to RDW did not improve the prediction of mortality. In conclusion, RDW is independently associated with death in patients with PH and performs better as a prognostic indicator than NT-pro-BNP...
- Clinical characteristics of pulmonary hypertension in patients with heart failure and preserved ejection fractionThenappan Thenappan
Section of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, IL, USA
Circ Heart Fail 4:257-65. 2011..The distinction between PH-HFpEF and pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) is important because therapies indicated for PAH can be detrimental in HFpEF. The characteristic features of PH-HFpEF are understudied...
- Current therapeutics and practical management strategies for pulmonary arterial hypertensionRicha Agarwal
Section of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, IL, USA
Am Heart J 162:201-13. 2011..In addition, the treatment of acute right ventricular failure and evidence (or lack thereof) for therapies in non-PAH pulmonary hypertension, such as pulmonary hypertension from left side of the heart disease, are addressed...
- Active-control clinical trials to establish equivalence or noninferiority: methodological and statistical concepts linked to qualityMardi Gomberg-Maitland
Rush Heart Institute for Pulmonary Heart Disease, Rush School of Medicine, Chicago, Ill 60612 3824, USA
Am Heart J 146:398-403. 2003..A guideline is proposed as a standard approach for reporting to facilitate qualitative assessment of the methodology of these trials...
- Endothelin receptor antagonism in pulmonary arterial hypertension--a role for selective ET(A) inhibition?Avrum Jacobs
University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 22:2567-74. 2006..Therefore, a clinically important question arises as to whether selective ET(A) receptor antagonism is superior to nonselective dual-receptor antagonism in the treatment of PAH...
- Long-term effects of continuous prostacyclin therapy in adults with pulmonary hypertension associated with congenital heart diseaseIsac C Thomas
Department of Medicine, Section of Internal Medicine, University of Chicago, United States Electronic address
Int J Cardiol 168:4117-21. 2013..In this study, we present the hemodynamic and clinical effects of long-term, continuous PGI2 administration in eight adult patients with CHD-PAH...
- New trial designs and potential therapies for pulmonary artery hypertensionMardi Gomberg-Maitland
Section of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois Electronic address
J Am Coll Cardiol 62:D82-91. 2013..This paper will provide an overview of the opportunities and challenges that await the development of novel treatments for PAH. ..
- Takotsubo cardiomyopathy after treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertensionDavid P Cork
Department of Cardiology, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
Pulm Circ 2:390-4. 2012..Takotsubo cardiomyopathy should be recognized as a potential, rare complication of therapy initiation due to the severity of the illness and the emotional stress of the disease...
- Relative adrenal insufficiency in severe congestive heart failure with preserved systolic function: a case reportJoshua D Lovelock
Department of Cardiology, University of Chicago Hospitals, 5841 S Maryland Avenue, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
J Cardiovasc Med (Hagerstown) 8:754-7. 2007....
- Safety and efficacy of IV treprostinil for pulmonary arterial hypertension: a prospective, multicenter, open-label, 12-week trialVictor F Tapson
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Room 351 Bell Building, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Chest 129:683-8. 2006..With continuous IV treprostinil having potential advantages over both of the above therapies, we investigated the safety and efficacy of this regimen in patients with PAH...
- Bloodstream infections in patients given treatment with intravenous prostanoidsAlexander J Kallen
Division of Healthcare Quality Promotion, National Center for Preparedness, Detection, and Control of Infectious Diseases, Office of Workforce and Career Development, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 29:342-9. 2008..An investigation was conducted to determine rates of prostanoid-associated BSI in this patient population and possible risk factors for infection...
- Statins and plaque stabilityMardi Gomberg-Maitland
Mount Sinai Medical Center, Department of Cardiology, New York, NY 10129, USA
J Cardiovasc Risk 10:161-7. 2003..This review will discuss the pharmacology, clinical trials, and mechanisms, besides lipid lowering, of statin therapy...
- Obliteration of the left atrial appendage for prevention of thromboembolismJonathan L Halperin
J Am Coll Cardiol 42:1259-61. 2003