Affiliation: University of California
- The role of membrane glycoprotein plasma cell antigen 1/ectonucleotide pyrophosphatase phosphodiesterase 1 in the pathogenesis of insulin resistance and related abnormalitiesIra D Goldfine
Department of Medicine and Diabetes Center, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Endocr Rev 29:62-75. 2008..These data suggest therefore that PC-1 is a candidate protein that may play a role in human insulin resistance and T2D by its overexpression, its overactivity, or both...
- Nordihydroguaiaretic acid (NDGA), an inhibitor of the HER2 and IGF-1 receptor tyrosine kinases, blocks the growth of HER2-overexpressing human breast cancer cellsMarianna Zavodovskaya
Diabetes and Endocrine Research, University of California, San Francisco Mt Zion Medical Center, San Francisco, California, USA
J Cell Biochem 103:624-35. 2008..These studies suggest that NDGA may have therapeutic benefits in HER2-positive, tamoxifen resistant, breast cancers in humans...
- Overexpression of the insulin receptor inhibitor PC-1/ENPP1 induces insulin resistance and hyperglycemiaBetty A Maddux
Department of Medicine and Diabetes Center, University of California, San Francisco 94143 1616, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 290:E746-9. 2006....
- Analysis of insulin-stimulated insulin receptor activation and glucose transport in cultured skeletal muscle cells from obese subjectsCelia Pender
Division of Diabetes and Endocrine Research, Department of Medicine, Mount Zion Medical Center, University of California-San Francisco, Box 1616, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Metabolism 54:598-603. 2005..These data therefore indicate that the insulin resistance associated with obesity is not maintained in cultured muscle cells and suggest that this insulin resistance is an acquired feature of obesity...
- Diarylureas are small-molecule inhibitors of insulin-like growth factor I receptor signaling and breast cancer cell growthKarissa L Gable
Diabetes and Endocrine Research University of California, San Francisco Mt Zion Medical Center, Box 1616, San Francisco, CA 94143 1616, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 5:1079-86. 2006..p. injection thrice a week) reduced the growth rate of MCNeuA cells implanted into mice. These studies indicate that diaryl urea compounds are potential new agents to test in the treatment of breast and other IGF-I-sensitive cancers...
- Influence of gender on the relationship between insulin sensitivity, adiposity, and plasma lipids in lean nondiabetic subjectsUmesh Masharani
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94115, USA
Metabolism 58:1602-8. 2009..These results both highlight sex differences in the associations between insulin resistance, regional adipose stores, and lipids values and emphasize the importance of adipose stores on the development of an individual's lipid profile...
- Oral gene therapy: a novel method for the manufacture and delivery of protein drugsStephen Rothman
University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94708, USA
Diabetes Technol Ther 7:549-57. 2005..The dose of the drug can be altered from day to day, and treatment can be stopped quickly if untoward side effects are observed...
- Technical evaluation of in vivo abdominal fat and IMCL quantification using MRI and MRSI at 3 TXiaojuan Li
Musculoskeletal Quantitative Imaging Research, Department of Radiology, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94107, USA
Magn Reson Imaging 26:188-97. 2008....
- A pilot dose-escalation study of the effects of nordihydroguareacetic acid on hormone and prostate specific antigen levels in patients with relapsed prostate cancerCharles J Ryan
Department of Medicine and the corrected UCSF Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
BJU Int 101:436-9. 2008....
- Inhibitory effects of nordihydroguaiaretic acid (NDGA) on the IGF-1 receptor and androgen dependent growth of LAPC-4 prostate cancer cellsCharles J Ryan
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Prostate 68:1232-40. 2008..The current study evaluates the effect of NDGA on the androgen-stimulated growth of human prostate cancer cells...
- Expression of insulin-like growth factor-1 receptor in local and metastatic prostate cancerCharles J Ryan
Department of Medicine, UCSF Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94115, USA
Urol Oncol 25:134-40. 2007..Despite this targeting, there are conflicting data on the presence of this receptor in human tumor samples, largely because of differences in technique...
- IGF-binding protein-1 levels are related to insulin-mediated glucose disposal and are a potential serum marker of insulin resistanceBetty A Maddux
Department of Medicine, Diabetes Center, University of California, San Francisco, 2200 Post, C415, 94143 1616, USA
Diabetes Care 29:1535-7. 2006..IGF-binding protein (IGFBP)-1 is negatively regulated by insulin. We determined whether the measurement of IGFBP-1 in serum is a useful marker of insulin resistance...
- Effects of controlled-release alpha lipoic acid in lean, nondiabetic patients with polycystic ovary syndromeUmesh Masharani
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, Diabetes Center, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
J Diabetes Sci Technol 4:359-64. 2010..The purpose of this study was to determine whether a preparation of controlled-release alpha lipoic acid (CRLA) influences features of the polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)...
- Nordihydroguaiaretic acid inhibits insulin-like growth factor signaling, growth, and survival in human neuroblastoma cellsGary E Meyer
Department of Pediatrics, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
J Cell Biochem 102:1529-41. 2007..In addition, NDGA inhibits the growth of xenografted human neuroblastoma tumors in nude mice. These results indicate that NDGA may be useful in the treatment of neuroblastoma and may function in part via disruption of IGF-IR signaling...
- Nordihydroguaiaretic acid (NDGA) inhibits the IGF-1 and c-erbB2/HER2/neu receptors and suppresses growth in breast cancer cellsJack F Youngren
Division of Diabetes and Endocrine Research, San Francisco Mt Zion Medical Center, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 1616, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 94:37-46. 2005..These studies indicate that the anti-breast cancer properties of NDGA are related to the inhibition of two important RTKs. Agents of this class may therefore provide new insights into potential therapies for this disease...
- Oxidative stress and stress-activated signaling pathways: a unifying hypothesis of type 2 diabetesJoseph L Evans
University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Endocr Rev 23:599-622. 2002..Studies with antioxidants such as vitamin E, alpha-lipoic acid, and N-acetylcysteine suggest that new strategies may become available to treat these conditions...
- Gender differences in the relationship of ENPP1/PC-1 variants to obesity in a Turkish populationSinan Tanyolac
Department of Medicine and Diabetes Center, University of California, San Francisco Mt Zion Medical Center, San Francisco, California, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 16:2468-71. 2008..We find evidence that variants of ENPP1/PC-1 are associated with obesity in the male Turkish population; thus, these variants may contribute to the development of the obesity in these individuals...
- Decreased insulin receptor (IR) autophosphorylation in fibroblasts from patients with PCOS: effects of serine kinase inhibitors and IR activatorsMing Li
University of California at San Francisco, Mount Zion Medical Center, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:4088-93. 2002..Moreover, the observation that TLK16998 and Merck L7 improved IR tyrosine phosphorylation in fibroblasts from patients with PCOS suggests that specific pharmacological therapies might be developed to treat the insulin resistance in PCOS...
- Genetic variants of the ENPP1/PC-1 gene are associated with hypertriglyceridemia in male subjectsSinan Tanyolac
Diabetes Center and Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, California 94115, USA
Metab Syndr Relat Disord 7:543-8. 2009..Membrane glycoprotein PC-1 (also termed ENPP1) is a direct insulin receptor inhibitor, and certain polymorphisms of the ENPP1/PC-1 gene have been associated with insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes, obesity, and diabetic complications...
- Inadvertent sulfonylurea overdosage and hypoglycemia in an elderly woman: failure of serum hypoglycemia screeningKaren E Earle
Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143-1616, USA
Diabetes Technol Ther 5:449-51. 2003..While these data suggested the presence of an insulinoma, further evaluation of the case revealed inadvertent ingestion of glimepiride, a sulfonylurea not included in the standard serum sulfonylurea screen...
- Are oxidative stress-activated signaling pathways mediators of insulin resistance and beta-cell dysfunction?Joseph L Evans
Medical Research Institute, San Francisco, California University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94107, USA
Diabetes 52:1-8. 2003....
- The molecular basis for oxidative stress-induced insulin resistanceJoseph L Evans
Medical Research Institute, San Francisco, CA 94107, USA
Antioxid Redox Signal 7:1040-52. 2005....
- Effective treatments for insulin resistance: trim the fat and douse the fireJoseph L Evans
Medical Research Institute, San Francisco, CA 94107, USA
Trends Endocrinol Metab 15:425-31. 2004..One antioxidant that is safe and appears effective is alpha-lipoic acid. Thus, combinations of surgery, exercise training, insulin sensitizers and antioxidants will probably constitute future insulin resistance management...
- Novel approach to treat insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes, and the metabolic syndrome: simultaneous activation of PPARalpha, PPARgamma, and PPARdeltaJoseph L Evans
Medical Research Institute, 444 De Haro Street, Suite 209, San Francisco, CA 94107, USA
Curr Diabetes Rev 1:299-307. 2005..Recent studies in rodents and primates suggest that a small molecule targeting all three isoforms of PPAR would provide a significantly improved treatment option...
- Parallel synthesis of diarylureas and their evaluation as inhibitors of insulin-like growth factor receptorMarc O Anderson
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of California, Box 2280, San Francisco, California 94143-2280, USA
J Comb Chem 8:784-90. 2006..Overall, eight compounds based on the 4-aminoquinaldine heteroaryl system were found to have moderate activity against IGF-1R with IC(50) values better than 40 microM...
- Pharmacokinetics, tolerability, and fructosamine-lowering effect of a novel, controlled-release formulation of alpha-lipoic acidJoseph L Evans
Northern California Diabetes Institute, Seton Medical Center, Dale City, CA 94015, USA
Endocr Pract 8:29-35. 2002..CONCLUSION: CRLA increased the plasma concentration of LA over time in healthy subjects, and CRLA was safe, well tolerated, and effective in reducing plasma fructosamine in patients with type 2 diabetes...
- Design, synthesis, and structure-activity relationships of novel insulin receptor tyrosine kinase activatorsRobert T Lum
Telik, Inc, 3165 Porter Drive, Palo Alto, California 94304, USA
J Med Chem 51:6173-87. 2008..These data provide pharmacological validation that small molecule IRTK activators represent a potential new class of antidiabetic agents...
- Variants of ENPP1 are associated with childhood and adult obesity and increase the risk of glucose intolerance and type 2 diabetesDavid Meyre
CNRS 8090 Institute of Biology, Pasteur Institute, Lille, France
Nat Genet 37:863-7. 2005..These findings suggest that several variants of ENPP1 have a primary role in mediating insulin resistance and in the development of both obesity and T2D, suggesting that an underlying molecular mechanism is common to both conditions...
- Chromium picolinate and biotin combination improves glucose metabolism in treated, uncontrolled overweight to obese patients with type 2 diabetesCesar A Albarracin
Alpha Therapy Center, 4626 Weber Road, Suite 100, Corpus Christi, TX 78411, USA
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 24:41-51. 2008..This randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study evaluated the efficacy and safety of the combination of chromium picolinate and biotin on glycaemic control...
- In vitro and in vivo prevention of HIV protease inhibitor-induced insulin resistance by a novel small molecule insulin receptor activatorMingshan Cheng
Telik, Inc, 3165 Porter Drive, Palo Alto, California 94304, USA
J Cell Biochem 92:1234-45. 2004..These results suggest, therefore, that IR activators such as TLK19781 may be useful in treating the insulin resistance associated with PIs...
- Increased hepatic levels of the insulin receptor inhibitor, PC-1/NPP1, induce insulin resistance and glucose intoleranceHengjiang Dong
Department of Gene Therapy and Molecular Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
Diabetes 54:367-72. 2005..These in vivo data support the concept, therefore, that PC-1 plays a role in insulin resistance and suggest that animals with overexpression of human PC-1 in liver may be interesting models to investigate this pathological process...
- Elevated plasma cell membrane glycoprotein levels and diminished insulin receptor autophosphorylation in obese, insulin-resistant rhesus monkeysCelia Pender
Diabetes and Obesity Research Center, School of Medicine, Department of Physiology, University of Maryland at Baltimore, Baltimore, MD, USA
Metabolism 51:465-70. 2002..7 +/- 0.3; obese, 1.9 +/- 0.6; P <.05). We conclude that insulin resistance secondary to obesity in rhesus monkeys is associated with increased levels of PC-1 and decreased IR signaling capacity in skeletal muscle...
- Regulation of insulin receptor function by a small molecule insulin receptor activatorCelia Pender
Mount Zion Medical Center, University of California, San Francisco 94143 1616, USA
J Biol Chem 277:43565-71. 2002..These studies suggest that these types of molecules could be developed to treat type 2 diabetes and other clinical conditions associated with insulin resistance...
- PC-1 and Insulin Receptor SignalingIra Goldfine; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will determine therefore whether PC-1 overexpression in fibroblast is caused by transcriptional and/or post-transcriptional mechanisms. ..
- PC-1 and Insulin Receptor SignalingIra Goldfine; Fiscal Year: 2005..These series of studies should provide important new information, therefore, as to role of PC-1 in insulin resistance and the molecular mechanisms whereby PC-1 inhibits IR function. ..
- Exercise Training in Insulin Resistant Non-DiabeticsIra Goldfine; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- PC-1 Insulin Receptor SignalingIra Goldfine; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will determine therefore whether PC-1 overexpression in fibroblast is caused by transcriptional and/or post-transcriptional mechanisms. ..