John W Gnann
Affiliation: University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Varicella-zoster virus: Prevention through vaccinationJohn W Gnann
Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Alabama of Birmingham and Birmingham Veterans Administration Medical Center, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Clin Obstet Gynecol 55:560-70. 2012..The best approach to avoiding the morbidity and mortality associated with chickenpox in pregnancy is to screen and vaccinate susceptible reproductive-age women...
- Vaccination to prevent herpes zoster in older adultsJohn W Gnann
Departments of Medicine, Pediatrics, and Microbiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 908 20th Street South, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
J Pain 9:S31-6. 2008..No significant safety concerns regarding the vaccine have been identified. Indications for use of the attenuated-virus vaccine in special subpopulations continue to evolve...
- Human herpesvirus 8 and Kaposi's sarcoma in persons infected with human immunodeficiency virusJ W Gnann
Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294 2170, USA
Clin Infect Dis 30:S72-6. 2000..Antiretroviral therapy to control HIV replication and to limit the associated immunodeficiency is currently the best approach for preventing KS in persons infected with HHV-8 and HIV...
- Varicella-zoster virus: atypical presentations and unusual complicationsJohn W Gnann
University of Alabama at Birmingham and Birmingham VA Medical Center, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 2170, USA
J Infect Dis 186:S91-8. 2002..VZV retinitis is a potentially sight-threatening complication that occurs in both immunocompetent and immunocompromised persons. Current knowledge regarding pathogenesis and antiviral therapy is reviewed...
- Viral encephalitis: familiar infections and emerging pathogensRichard J Whitley
Department of Pediatrics, Microbiology and Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA
Lancet 359:507-13. 2002..We review current understanding of viral encephalitides with particular reference to emerging viral infections and the availability of existing treatment regimens...
- Sorivudine versus acyclovir for treatment of dermatomal herpes zoster in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients: results from a randomized, controlled clinical trial. Collaborative Antiviral Study Group/AIDS Clinical Trials Group, Herpes Zoster StJ W Gnann
Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35294 2170, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 42:1139-45. 1998..Both drugs were well tolerated. Sorivudine is an effective drug for the treatment of herpes zoster in HIV-infected patients and results in accelerated cutaneous healing when compared with acyclovir therapy...
- Herpes zoster: risk categories for persistent painR J Whitley
Department of Pediatrics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA
J Infect Dis 179:9-15. 1999..0; 95% confidence interval [CI], 6. 6-48.6, and RR, 5.3; 95% CI, 4.2-17.2, respectively). These analyses identify the subgroups of patients for whom aggressive interventions are most strongly indicated...
- Herpes simplex encephalitis during treatment with tumor necrosis factor-alpha inhibitorsRussell D Bradford
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Pediatrics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35233, USA
Clin Infect Dis 49:924-7. 2009..Although TNF-alpha inhibitors have been reported to increase the risk of other infectious diseases, to our knowledge, an association between anti-TNF-alpha drugs and herpes simplex virus encephalitis has not been previously described...
- The epidemiological, clinical, and pathological rationale for the herpes zoster vaccineKenneth Schmader
Center for the Study of Aging and Human Development and Division of Geriatrics, Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, North Carolina, USA
J Infect Dis 197:S207-15. 2008..Given the central nervous system damage caused by HZ, the difficulty of adequately treating HZ to prevent PHN, and the intractability of PHN, the advent of the HZ vaccine appears to be a crucial innovation for preventing HZ and PHN...
- A prospective study of genital herpes simplex virus type 2 infection in human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1)-seropositive women: correlations with CD4 cell count and plasma HIV-1 RNA levelPatty W Wright
Department of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine, Birmingham, AL 35294 0006, USA
Clin Infect Dis 36:207-11. 2003..Positive HSV-2 culture results occurred more frequently for samples obtained from patients with higher plasma HIV-1 RNA levels (P=.019) and lower CD4 cell counts (P<.001)...
- Clinical practice. Herpes zosterJohn W Gnann
Departments of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Ala 35294 2170, USA
N Engl J Med 347:340-6. 2002
- Phase specific analysis of herpes zoster associated pain data: a new statistical approachR B Arani
Biostatistics Unit, Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35294-3300, USA
Stat Med 20:2429-39. 2001..These results can be utilized in the design of clinical trials or in targeting the outcome for a specific phase while controlling for the effect of other variables...
- Clinical applications for change-point analysis of herpes zoster painRenee A Desmond
Medical Statistics Section, Department of Medicine, Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294 3300, USA
J Pain Symptom Manage 23:510-6. 2002..This model verifies three phases of zoster pain and delineates the impact of treatment and other factors on the phase-specific rates of pain cessation...
- Recommendations for the management of herpes zosterRobert H Dworkin
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY, 14642, USA
Clin Infect Dis 44:S1-26. 2007..Specific recommendations for the use of these medications are provided. In addition, suggestions are made for treatments that, when used in combination with antiviral therapy, may further reduce pain and other complications of HZ...
- Safety and efficacy of nebulized zanamivir in hospitalized patients with serious influenzaMichael G Ison
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, USA
Antivir Ther 8:183-90. 2003..Two rimantadine-resistant viruses emerged during rimantadine monotherapy; no ZNV resistance was observed. Nebulized ZNV appears to be well tolerated in this hospitalized population but further studies are needed to assess its efficacy...
- Diagnosis and assessment of pain associated with herpes zoster and postherpetic neuralgiaRobert H Dworkin
Department of Anesthesiology and Neurology, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, 601 Elmwood Avenue, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
J Pain 9:S37-44. 2008..PERSPECTIVE: Comprehensive assessments of pain are necessary for clinical research on the epidemiology, natural history, pathophysiologic mechanisms, treatment, and prevention of pain in herpes zoster and PHN...
- The incidence and severity of herpes simplex encephalitis in Sweden, 1990-2001Richard J Whitley
Clin Infect Dis 45:881-2. 2007