Allen L Gifford
Affiliation: University of California
- A self-management approach to improving continuous positive airway pressure adherence and outcomesCarl J Stepnowsky
Health Services Research and Development Unit, Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System and Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, USA
Behav Sleep Med 5:131-46. 2007..5 +/- 2.3 hr per night. The Sleep Apnea Self-Management Program (SASMP) has the potential to be an effective and practical way to improve CPAP adherence and is designed for integration into current OSA clinical processes...
- Self-management health education for chronic HIV infectionA L Gifford
Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego School of Medicine, La Jolla, USA
AIDS Care 11:115-30. 1999..These results suggest that a self-management approach to HIV patient education is feasible and accepted, and could become a useful health education technique in patients with chronic HIV infection...
- Chronic disease self-management and adherence to HIV medicationsAllen L Gifford
Center for Research in Patient Oriented Care and the Quality Enhancement Research Initiative QUERI in HIV, VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, California 92161, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 31:S163-6. 2002....
- Participation in research and access to experimental treatments by HIV-infected patientsAllen L Gifford
Center for Research in Patient Oriented Care and the Quality Enhancement Research Initiative in HIV, Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, and the University of California, San Diego, California 92161, USA
N Engl J Med 346:1373-82. 2002..Although there is concern that minority groups and women are underrepresented in research involving patients with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection, the available data are inconclusive...
- Propensity of HIV patients to seek urgent and emergent care. HIV Cost and Services Utilization Study ConsortiumA L Gifford
Health Services Research and Development Program, VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, Calif, USA
J Gen Intern Med 15:833-40. 2000..To assess the propensity of HIV-infected adults to seek care for common symptoms, and to determine whether they would seek care in the emergency department (ED) or with their primary care provider...
- Predictors of self-reported adherence and plasma HIV concentrations in patients on multidrug antiretroviral regimensA L Gifford
Health Services Research and Development, VA San Diego Healthcare System, California 92161, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 23:386-95. 2000..Adherence to prescribed medications is a central feature of good clinical HIV care, but little is known about the factors associated with multidrug antiretroviral adherence, or about how such adherence is related to plasma HIV suppression...
- Relationship of frequent mantram repetition to emotional and spiritual well-being in healthcare workersJill E Bormann
VA San Diego Healthcare System, CA 92161, USA
J Contin Educ Nurs 37:218-24. 2006..To determine how to reduce stress, the authors examined the effectiveness of frequently repeating a mantram (a word with spiritual meaning) on emotional and spiritual well-being...
- Perceptions of barriers and facilitators to participation in clinical trials in HIV-positive Latinas: a pilot studyMaria Luisa Zuniga
Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0628, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 16:1322-30. 2007..We studied barriers and facilitators to HIV/AIDS trial participation in HIV-positive Latinas in the U.S.-Mexico border region...
- Development of the hepatitis C self-management programErik J Groessl
Health Services Research and Development, VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Patient Educ Couns 83:252-5. 2011..Herein, we describe a recently developed self-management program designed to assist HCV-infected patients with adherence and improve their health-related quality of life (HRQOL)...
- Self-monitoring of a stress reduction technique using wrist-worn countersJill E Bormann
VA San Diego Healthcare System, USA
J Healthc Qual 29:45-52. 2007..84) with retrospective self-reports, indicating that such counters may be a reliable self-monitoring tool and could be used to measure a variety of other behavioral health quality indicators...
- Pilot randomized trial of the effect of wireless telemonitoring on compliance and treatment efficacy in obstructive sleep apneaCarl J Stepnowsky
Health Services Research and Development Service, Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
J Med Internet Res 9:e14. 2007..Because compliance rates with CPAP therapy are disappointingly low, effective interventions are needed to improve CPAP compliance among patients diagnosed with OSA...
- National patterns and predictors of liver biopsy use for management of hepatitis CErik J Groessl
VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
J Hepatol 57:252-9. 2012..To identify the factors that influence the use of liver biopsy for HCV patients, we describe variations in liver biopsy use at the delivery system and patient level in a national VA sample...
- Primary care-based interventions are associated with increases in hepatitis C virus testing for patients at riskAlain H Litwin
Department of Medicine, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, NY 10467, USA
Dig Liver Dis 44:497-503. 2012..S. Effective treatment is available, but approximately 50% of patients are not aware that they are infected. Optimal testing strategies have not been described...
- Complementary and alternative medicine use and substitution for conventional therapy by HIV-infected patientsAn Fu Hsiao
Division of General Internal Medicine and Health Services Research, Department of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles, 911 Broxton Plaza, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1736, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 33:157-65. 2003..HIV-infected patients commonly use complementary and alternative medicine (CAM), but it is not known how often CAM is used as a complement or as a substitute for conventional HIV therapy...
- Effects of spiritual mantram repetition on HIV outcomes: a randomized controlled trialJill E Bormann
VA San Diego Healthcare System, 3350 La Jolla Village Drive 118, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
J Behav Med 29:359-76. 2006....
- National estimates of HIV-related symptom prevalence from the HIV Cost and Services Utilization StudyW C Mathews
University of California at San Diego, USA
Med Care 38:750-62. 2000....
- Quality Enhancement Research Initiative for human immunodeficiency virus/acquired immunodeficiency syndrome: framework and plan. HIV-QUERI Executive CommitteeS A Bozzette
Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System and the University of California San Diego, USA
Med Care 38:I60-9. 2000..In addition, we will require that these issues be addressed in evaluations of HIV-QUERI interventions. In the present article, we present these steps within a framework and plan...
- Self-reported adherence to antiretroviral medications among participants in HIV clinical trials: the AACTG adherence instruments. Patient Care Committee & Adherence Working Group of the Outcomes Committee of the Adult AIDS Clinical Trials Group (AACTGM A Chesney
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco 94105, USA
AIDS Care 12:255-66. 2000..Responses to the questionnaires were favourable. These questionnaires have been included in six AACTG clinical trials to date and have been widely disseminated to investigators both in the USA and abroad...
- Living with hepatitis C: qualitative interviews with hepatitis C-infected veteransErik J Groessl
Health Services Research and Development, VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA
J Gen Intern Med 23:1959-65. 2008..Chronic hepatitis C (HCV) infection affects millions of people in the USA and prevalence rates are higher in US veterans. The consequences of HCV infection include reduced quality of life, liver damage, and reduced longevity...
- Behind the scenes in health care improvement: the complex structures and emergent strategies of Implementation ScienceElisa J Sobo
Department of Anthropology, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA, USA
Soc Sci Med 67:1530-40. 2008..They also reveal a great deal about the struggles underwriting disciplinary identity claims in a complex systems context...
- Evaluating HIV-infected patients with headache: who needs computed tomography?A L Gifford
Health Services Research and Development Program, VA San Diego Calif Healthcare System and the Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego School of Medicine, La Jolla, USA
Headache 41:441-8. 2001..To empirically test a clinical prediction rule for evaluating HIV-infected patients complaining of headache and to identify those at low risk for intracranial mass lesion who do not need immediate computed tomography of the head...
- Retention in care: a challenge to survival with HIV infectionThomas P Giordano
Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Clin Infect Dis 44:1493-9. 2007..Patients with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection need lifelong medical care, but many do not remain in care. The effect of poor retention in care on survival is not known, and we sought to quantify that relationship...
- Response to symptoms among a U.S. national probability sample of adults infected with human immunodeficiency virusAmy M Kilbourne
Center for Health Equity Research and Promotion, VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System, USA
Med Care Res Rev 59:36-58. 2002..Vulnerable groups were no less likely to use services for HIV-related symptoms when need for care was considered. However, disparities may exist for symptom-specific care among HIV infected persons covered by public or HMO insurance...
- Optimizing measurement of self-reported adherence with the ACTG Adherence Questionnaire: a cross-protocol analysisNancy R Reynolds
AIDS Clinical Trials Unit, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 46:402-9. 2007..The AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG) Adherence Questionnaire is used extensively, but investigators frequently only use the first item of the questionnaire (4-day recall)...
- Combination antiretroviral therapy and improvements in mental health: results from a nationally representative sample of persons undergoing care for HIV in the United StatesKitty S Chan
RAND Health, Santa Monica, California 90407 2128, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 33:104-11. 2003....
- Creating a crosswalk to estimate AIDS Clinical Trials Group quality of life scores in a nationally representative sample of persons in care for HIV in the United StatesAlbert W Wu
Department of Health Policy and Management, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21205 1901, USA
HIV Clin Trials 6:147-57. 2005..Optimizing health-related quality of life (HRQOL) is an increasingly important goal in the treatment of HIV/AIDS. Interpretation of HRQOL scores in clinical trials is enhanced by comparative data...
- Substance use and mental health correlates of nonadherence to antiretroviral medications in a sample of patients with human immunodeficiency virus infectionJoan S Tucker
RAND Health, Santa Monica, California 90407 2138, USA
Am J Med 114:573-80. 2003..This study investigated associations of antiretroviral medication nonadherence with specific types of psychiatric disorders and drug use, and varying levels of alcohol use...
- Underdiagnosis of depression in HIV: who are we missing?Steven M Asch
VA Los Angeles Healthcare System and UCLA Department of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90073, USA
J Gen Intern Med 18:450-60. 2003..To determine the sociodemographic and service delivery correlates of depression underdiagnosis in HIV...
- The economic viability of antiretroviral adherence interventionsSamuel A Bozzette
Am J Med 115:672-3. 2003