Affiliation: University of California
- Shedding of HIV and human herpesviruses in the semen of effectively treated HIV-1-infected men who have sex with menSara Gianella
University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0679, USA
Clin Infect Dis 57:441-7. 2013..Current antiretroviral therapy (ART) suppresses human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) in blood to undetectable levels in most infected individuals; however, some men shed HIV in semen despite suppressed levels in blood...
- Cytomegalovirus DNA in semen and blood is associated with higher levels of proviral HIV DNASara Gianella
University of California San Diego, 9500 Gilman Dr, MC 0679, La Jolla, CA 92093 0679, USA
J Infect Dis 207:898-902. 2013..These observations suggest that interventions aimed to reduce CMV replication and, thus, systemic immune activation could decrease the size of the latent HIV reservoir...
- Herpes viruses and HIV-1 drug resistance mutations influence the virologic and immunologic milieu of the male genital tractSara Gianella
Department of Pathology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0679, USA
AIDS 27:39-47. 2013..To further understand the role that chronic viral infections of the male genital tract play on HIV-1 dynamics and replication...
- Role of seminal shedding of herpesviruses in HIV Type 1 TransmissionSara Gianella
University of California San Diego, La Jolla 92093 0679, USA
J Infect Dis 207:257-61. 2013....
- Sexual transmission of predicted CXCR4-tropic HIV-1 likely originating from the source partner's seminal cellsSara Gianella
University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0679, USA
Virology 434:2-4. 2012..Phylogenetic analyses exclude cell-free virus in the seminal plasma of the source partner and possibly point to the seminal cells as the origin of the transmission event...
- Impact of seminal cytomegalovirus replication on HIV-1 dynamics between blood and semenSara Gianella
University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0679, USA
J Med Virol 84:1703-9. 2012..In conclusion, the effects of CMV replication on HIV-1 viral and immunologic dynamics within the male genital tract are not significant enough to perturb evolution or disrupt compartmentalization in the genital tract...
- Detection of minority resistance during early HIV-1 infection: natural variation and spurious detection rather than transmission and evolution of multiple viral variantsSara Gianella
niversity of California San Diego, San Diego, California, USA
J Virol 85:8359-67. 2011..The majority of low-frequency DRM detected using UDS are likely errors inherent to UDS methodology or a consequence of error-prone HIV-1 replication...
- Associations between virologic and immunologic dynamics in blood and in the male genital tractSara Gianella
University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California
J Virol 86:1307-15. 2012..These factors likely influence replication dynamics, sexual transmission risk, and disease outcomes for all three viruses...
- Using ultradeep pyrosequencing to study HIV-1 coreceptor usage in primary and dual infectionGabriel A Wagner
University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
J Infect Dis 208:271-4. 2013..12), suggesting a weak statistical trend toward occurrence of superinfection and acquiring X4 usage...
- Effect of raltegravir-containing intensification on HIV burden and T-cell activation in multiple gut sites of HIV-positive adults on suppressive antiretroviral therapySteven A Yukl
San Francisco VA Medical Center SFVAMC and University of California, San Francisco UCSF, San Francisco, California, USA
AIDS 24:2451-60. 2010..To determine whether raltegravir-containing antiretroviral therapy (ART) intensification reduces HIV levels in the gut...
- Highly Precise Measurement of HIV DNA by Droplet Digital PCRMatthew C Strain
University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e55943. 2013..The improved sensitivity and precision of measurement of these rare events should facilitate measurements to characterize the latent HIV reservoir and interventions to eradicate it...
- Minority variants of drug-resistant HIVSara Gianella
Departments of Pathology and Medicine, University of California San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093 0679, USA
J Infect Dis 202:657-66. 2010..In this review, we summarize the attributes and limitations of the currently available detection assays and review the existing information about both acquired and transmitted drug-resistant minority variants...
- Differences in HIV burden and immune activation within the gut of HIV-positive patients receiving suppressive antiretroviral therapySteven A Yukl
San Francisco Veterans Affairs Medical Center, San Francisco, California, USA
J Infect Dis 202:1553-61. 2010..The gut is a major reservoir for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) in patients receiving antiretroviral therapy (ART). We hypothesized that distinct immune environments within the gut may support varying levels of HIV...