David E Gerber
Affiliation: University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
- Gerber D, Gupta P, Dellinger M, Toombs J, Peyton M, Duignan I, et al. Stromal platelet-derived growth factor receptor ? (PDGFR?) provides a therapeutic target independent of tumor cell PDGFR? expression in lung cancer xenografts. Mol Cancer Ther. 2012;11:2473-82 pubmed publisher..We conclude that stromal PDGFR? inhibition represents a means for enhancing control of lung cancer growth in some cases, independent of tumor cell PDGFR? expression. ..
- Gerber D, Laccetti A, Xuan L, Halm E, Pruitt S. Impact of prior cancer on eligibility for lung cancer clinical trials. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2014;106: pubmed publisher..This inclusion criterion is applied widely across studies, including more than two-thirds of trials with nonsurvival endpoints. More research is needed to understand the basis and ramifications of this exclusion policy. ..
- Gerber D, Spigel D, Giorgadze D, Shtivelband M, Ponomarova O, Shan J, et al. Docetaxel Combined With Bavituximab in Previously Treated, Advanced Nonsquamous Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer. Clin Lung Cancer. 2016;17:169-76 pubmed publisher..This regimen is being evaluated in the ongoing, global, phase III SUNRISE trial. ..
- Laccetti A, Pruitt S, Xuan L, Halm E, Gerber D. Prior cancer does not adversely affect survival in locally advanced lung cancer: A national SEER-medicare analysis. Lung Cancer. 2016;98:106-113 pubmed publisher..Patients with locally advanced lung cancer and a history of prior cancer should not be excluded from clinical trials, and should be offered aggressive, potentially curative therapies if otherwise appropriate. ..
- Dietrich M, Gerber D. Chemotherapy for Advanced Non-small Cell Lung Cancer. Cancer Treat Res. 2016;170:119-49 pubmed publisher..Herein, we summarize the current concepts of chemotherapy, its applicability to the different histologies, and novel concepts of therapy. ..
- Le T, Mayer M, Sailors J, Gerber D, Truelson J. Upper lip metastasis of sarcomatoid carcinoma of the lung - an unusual site of disease: a case report. J Med Case Rep. 2017;11:18 pubmed publisher..It highlights the importance of maintaining a high level of suspicion for metastatic disease in the presence of new cutaneous findings as they may be the first evidence of advanced disease. ..
- Gupta A, Saltarski J, White M, SCAGLIONI P, Gerber D. Therapeutic Targeting of Nuclear Export Inhibition in Lung Cancer. J Thorac Oncol. 2017;12:1446-1450 pubmed publisher..A multicenter phase 1/2 clinical trial of selinexor in previously treated advanced KRAS-mutant NSCLC is under way. ..
- Gerber D, Hamann H, Santini N, Abbara S, Chiu H, McGuire M, et al. Patient navigation for lung cancer screening in an urban safety-net system: Protocol for a pragmatic randomized clinical trial. Contemp Clin Trials. 2017;60:78-85 pubmed publisher..This study was registered with the NIH ClinicalTrials.gov database (NCT02758054) on April 26, 2016. ..
- Garcia S, Bisen A, Yan J, Xie X, Ramalingam S, Schiller J, et al. Thoracic Oncology Clinical Trial Eligibility Criteria and Requirements Continue to Increase in Number and Complexity. J Thorac Oncol. 2017;12:1489-1495 pubmed publisher..Continued efforts to simplify protocol eligibility and procedures are warranted to promote trial adherence, enrollment, completion, and generalizability. ..
- Gerber D, Swanson P, Lopez Chavez A, Wong L, Dowlati A, Pennell N, et al. Phase II study of olaratumab with paclitaxel/carboplatin (P/C) or P/C alone in previously untreated advanced NSCLC. Lung Cancer. 2017;111:108-115 pubmed publisher..Olaratumab studies in other patient populations, including soft tissue sarcoma (NCT02783599), pancreatic cancer (NCT03086369), and pediatric malignancies (NCT02677116) are underway. ..
- Yu H, Ahn M, Cho B, Gerber D, Natale R, Socinski M, et al. Phase 2 study of intermittent pulse dacomitinib in patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancers. Lung Cancer. 2017;112:195-199 pubmed publisher..Dacomitinib is a second-generation, irreversible epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) tyrosine kinase inhibitor (TKI). Pre-clinical data suggest that intermittent pulsatile dosing of dacomitinib may result in inhibition of EGFR T790M...
- Gerber D, Socinski M, Neal J, Wakelee H, Shirai K, Sequist L, et al. Randomized phase 2 study of tivantinib plus erlotinib versus single-agent chemotherapy in previously treated KRAS mutant advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer. 2018;117:44-49 pubmed publisher..In previously treated patients with advanced KRAS mutant NSCLC, the combination of the MET inhibitor tivantinib and erlotinib is not superior to conventional single-agent chemotherapy. ..
- Gerber D, Urbanic J, Langer C, Hu C, Chang I, Lu B, et al. Treatment Design and Rationale for a Randomized Trial of Cisplatin and Etoposide Plus Thoracic Radiotherapy Followed by Nivolumab or Placebo for Locally Advanced Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer (RTOG 3505). Clin Lung Cancer. 2017;18:333-339 pubmed publisher..This sample size will provide ? 90% power to detect a hazard ratio of 0.7 for OS with 2-sided type I error of 0.04, and to detect a hazard ratio of 0.667 for PFS 2-sided type I error of 0.01. (NCT02768558). ..
- Le T, Sailors J, Oliver D, Mayer M, Hoskin S, Gerber D. Histologic transformation of EGFR mutant lung adenocarcinoma without exposure to EGFR inhibition. Lung Cancer. 2017;105:14-16 pubmed publisher..Several mechanisms have been described. Here, we report the first case of histologic transformation of EGFR mutant lung adenocarcinoma without prior exposure to EGFR inhibition. ..
- Garcia S, Saltarski J, Yan J, Xie X, Gerber D. Time and Effort Required for Tissue Acquisition and Submission in Lung Cancer Clinical Trials. Clin Lung Cancer. 2017;18:626-630 pubmed publisher..Improved systems to expedite these processes, as well as use of blood- or imaging-based biomarkers, may help address these issues. ..
- Khan S, Pruitt S, Xuan L, Makris U, Gerber D. How does autoimmune disease impact treatment and outcomes among patients with lung cancer? A national SEER-Medicare analysis. Lung Cancer. 2018;115:97-102 pubmed publisher..Among patients with lung cancer, autoimmune disease does not influence treatment patterns and is not associated with mortality. ..