Affiliation: University of California
- Racism as a determinant of health: a protocol for conducting a systematic review and meta-analysisYin Paradies
Centre for Citizenship and Globalization, Faculty of Arts and Education, Deakin University, 221 Burwood Highway, Melbourne, Victoria 3125, Australia
Syst Rev 2:85. 2013..The aim of this review protocol is to provide a structure from which to conduct a systematic review and meta-analysis of studies that assess the relationship between racism and health...
- A life course perspective on how racism may be related to health inequitiesGilbert C Gee
Department of Community Health Sciences, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Am J Public Health 102:967-74. 2012..g., education) or disadvantaged contexts (e.g., prison). This variation in time and exposure can contribute to racial inequities in life expectancy and other health outcomes across the life course and over generations...
- Associations between racial discrimination, limited English proficiency, and health-related quality of life among 6 Asian ethnic groups in CaliforniaGilbert C Gee
650 Charles E Young Drive South, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1772, USA
Am J Public Health 100:888-95. 2010..We examined the association of racial discrimination and limited English proficiency with health-related quality of life among Asian Americans in California...
- Racial discrimination and health among Asian Americans: evidence, assessment, and directions for future researchGilbert C Gee
School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1772, USA
Epidemiol Rev 31:130-51. 2009....
- Does health predict the reporting of racial discrimination or do reports of discrimination predict health? Findings from the National Longitudinal Study of YouthGilbert Gee
UCLA, Community Health Sciences, 650 Charles E Young Dr South, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Soc Sci Med 68:1676-84. 2009..The findings also indicate that future research should carefully attend to the patterns and timing of discrimination...
- English proficiency and language preference: testing the equivalence of two measuresGilbert C Gee
Department of Community Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1772, USA
Am J Public Health 100:563-9. 2010..We also examined whether modeling preference or proficiency as continuous or categorical variables changed our inferences...
- Disentangling the effects of racial and weight discrimination on body mass index and obesity among Asian AmericansGilbert C Gee
Department of Community Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles, 650 Charles E Young Dr S, Room 41 296A, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1772, USA
Am J Public Health 98:493-500. 2008..We examined whether racial discrimination is associated with increased body mass index (BMI) and obesity among Asian Americans. Further, we explored whether this association strengthens with increasing time in the United States...
- Relationships between self-reported unfair treatment and prescription medication use, illicit drug use, and alcohol dependence among Filipino AmericansGilbert C Gee
School of Public Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2029, USA
Am J Public Health 97:933-40. 2007..We examined associations between self-reported unfair treatment and prescription medication use, illicit drug use, and alcohol dependence...
- Social support as a buffer for perceived unfair treatment among Filipino Americans: differences between San Francisco and HonoluluGilbert C Gee
Department of Health Behavior and Health Education, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, 1420 Washington Heights, Room M5224, Ann Arbor, MI 48103 2029, USA
Am J Public Health 96:677-84. 2006..We examined whether perceived unfair treatment is associated with health conditions, whether social support moderates this association, and whether such relationships differ by location...
- A nationwide study of discrimination and chronic health conditions among Asian AmericansGilbert C Gee
Department of Health Behavior and Health Education, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Am J Public Health 97:1275-82. 2007..We examined whether self-reported everyday discrimination was associated with chronic health conditions among a nationally representative sample of Asian Americans...
- Traffic stress, vehicular burden and well-being: a multilevel analysisGilbert C Gee
Department of Health Behavior and Health Education, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, 1420 Washington Heights, Room M5224, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2029, USA
Soc Sci Med 59:405-14. 2004....
- Self-reported discrimination and mental health status among African descendants, Mexican Americans, and other Latinos in the New Hampshire REACH 2010 Initiative: the added dimension of immigrationGilbert C Gee
School of Public Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2029, USA
Am J Public Health 96:1821-8. 2006..We examined whether self-reported racial discrimination was associated with mental health status and whether this association varied with race/ethnicity or immigration status...
- A multilevel analysis of the relationship between institutional and individual racial discrimination and health statusGilbert C Gee
Training Program in Identity, Self, Role, and Mental Health, Department of Sociology, Indiana University, Ballantine Hall 744, 1020 E Kirkwood Avenue, Bloomington, IN 47405 7103, USA
Am J Public Health 92:615-23. 2002..This study examined whether individual (self-perceived) and institutional (segregation and redlining) racial discrimination was associated with poor health status among members of an ethnic group...
- Racial discrimination and psychological distress: the impact of ethnic identity and age among immigrant and United States-born Asian adultsTiffany Yip
Department of Psychology, Fordham University, Bronx, NY 10458, USA
Dev Psychol 44:787-800. 2008..The importance of age and immigrant status for the association between ethnic identity, discrimination, and well-being among Asians in the United States is discussed...
- Returning to the "homeland": work-related ethnic discrimination and the health of Japanese Brazilians in JapanTakashi Asakura
Department of Health Behavior and Health Education, Tokyo Gakugei University, 4 1 1, Nukuikita, Koganei, Tokyo 184 8501, Japan
Am J Public Health 98:743-50. 2008..Further, we examined interactions between discrimination and education on well-being...
- Workplace discrimination and health among Filipinos in the United StatesArnold B de Castro
School of Nursing, University of Washington, Box 357263, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Am J Public Health 98:520-6. 2008..We examined the association between work discrimination and morbidity among Filipinos in the United States, independent of more-global measures of discrimination...
- Environmental health disparities: a framework integrating psychosocial and environmental conceptsGilbert C Gee
University of Michigan School of Public Health, Department of Health Behavior and Health Education, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Environ Health Perspect 112:1645-53. 2004..When not counterbalanced by resources, stressors may lead to heightened vulnerability to environmental hazards...
- Neighborhood social conditions mediate the association between physical deterioration and mental healthDaniel J Kruger
University of Michigan, 1420 Washington Heights, Ann Arbor, MI 48106 1248, USA
Am J Community Psychol 40:261-71. 2007..These findings suggest that upstream interventions designed to improve neighborhood conditions as well as proximal interventions focused on social relationships, may promote well-being...
- Relationship between job dissatisfaction and physical and psychological health among Filipino immigrantsA B de Castro
University of Washington School of Nursing, Seattle, WA, USA
AAOHN J 56:33-40. 2008..Findings also suggest that job-related experiences should be considered when examining disparate health for immigrant, minority populations...
- The association between self-reported racial discrimination and 12-month DSM-IV mental disorders among Asian Americans nationwideGilbert C Gee
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Soc Sci Med 64:1984-96. 2007..Should these associations ultimately be shown enduring and causal, they suggest that policies designed to reduce discrimination may help improve mental health...
- Immigration-related factors and mental disorders among Asian AmericansDavid T Takeuchi
University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98105, USA
Am J Public Health 97:84-90. 2007..We examined lifetime and 12-month rates of any depressive, anxiety, and substance abuse disorders in a national sample of Asian Americans. We focused on factors related to nativity and immigration as possible correlates of mental disorders...
- The Association between self-reported discrimination, physical health and blood pressure: findings from African Americans, Black immigrants, and Latino immigrants in New HampshireAndrew M Ryan
Heller School for Social Policy and Management, Brandeis University in Waltham, Massachusetts, USA
J Health Care Poor Underserved 17:116-32. 2006..Future research should evaluate how factors associated with acculturation or cumulative exposure to discriminatory stressors may affect the protective resources of immigrants...