Affiliation: University of Kentucky
- Gedaly R, Daily M, Davenport D, McHugh P, Koch A, Angulo P, et al. Liver transplantation for the treatment of liver metastases from neuroendocrine tumors: an analysis of the UNOS database. Arch Surg. 2011;146:953-8 pubmed publisher..Waiting for disease to stabilize before considering patients with liver metastases from NETs for transplantation may be appropriate. Excellent results can be obtained in highly selected patients. ..
- Vilchez V, Turcios L, Zaytseva Y, Stewart R, Lee E, Maynard E, et al. Cancer stem cell marker expression alone and in combination with microvascular invasion predicts poor prognosis in patients undergoing transplantation for hepatocellular carcinoma. Am J Surg. 2016;212:238-45 pubmed publisher..05; P = .001, odds ratio = 9.5, survival P = .001, HR = 3.7; P = .004, HR = 3.2 respectively). CD44 or CD133 alone and in combination with MVI are independent predictors of poor prognosis in patients undergoing transplantation for HCC. ..
- Turcios L, Vilchez V, Acosta L, Poyil P, Butterfield D, Mitov M, et al. Sorafenib and FH535 in combination act synergistically on hepatocellular carcinoma by targeting cell bioenergetics and mitochondrial function. Dig Liver Dis. 2017;49:697-704 pubmed publisher..These findings support the therapeutic potential of combinatory FH535-Sorafenib treatment of the HCC heterogeneity by the simultaneous targeting of different molecular pathways. ..
- Vilchez V, Gedaly R. Liver transplantation for the treatment of neuroendocrine liver metastases. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2016;30:141-7 pubmed publisher..The aim of this study is to review the existing literature emphasizing on the role of transplantation to treat patients with liver metastases from NET. ..
- Gedaly R, Galuppo R, Musgrave Y, Angulo P, Hundley J, Shah M, et al. PKI-587 and sorafenib alone and in combination on inhibition of liver cancer stem cell proliferation. J Surg Res. 2013;185:225-30 pubmed publisher..Cells CD133+, CD44+, CD24+, which demonstrated at least moderate resistance to therapy in vitro. The combination of PKI-587 and sorafenib was better than either drug alone at inhibiting of LCSC and on HCC cell proliferation. ..
- Jackson N, Dugan A, Davenport D, Daily M, Shah M, Berger J, et al. Risk factors for increased resource utilization and critical care complications in patients undergoing hepaticojejunostomy for biliary injuries. HPB (Oxford). 2016;18:712-7 pubmed publisher..Age and ASA class are the strongest predictors of CCC in these patients. ..
- Kanthawar P, Mei X, Daily M, Chandarana J, Shah M, Berger J, et al. Kidney Transplant Outcomes in the Super Obese: A National Study From the UNOS Dataset. World J Surg. 2016;40:2808-2815 pubmed..In a subgroup analysis, super-obese patients who underwent kidney transplantation had significantly worse graft and patient survival compared to underweight, normal weight, and obesity class I, II, and III (BMI 40-50) patients. ..
- Acosta L, Garcia C, Dugan A, Marti F, Davenport D, Gedaly R. Impact of super obesity on perioperative outcomes after hepatectomy: The weight of the risk. Surgery. 2017;162:1026-1031 pubmed publisher..Future studies should be conducted using weight loss strategies in extreme obese patients to reduce their risk of life-threatening complications after hepatectomy. ..
- Alvarez J, Mei X, Daily M, Shah M, Grigorian A, Berger J, et al. Tipping the Scales: Liver Transplant Outcomes of the Super Obese. J Gastrointest Surg. 2016;20:1628-35 pubmed publisher..Overall, our data shows that BMI ?50 is an independent predictor of perioperative mortality and graft and overall patient survival. Further studies are necessary to better understand predictors of outcomes in super obese patients. ..
- Galuppo R, Maynard E, Shah M, Daily M, Chen C, Spear B, et al. Synergistic inhibition of HCC and liver cancer stem cell proliferation by targeting RAS/RAF/MAPK and WNT/?-catenin pathways. Anticancer Res. 2014;34:1709-13 pubmed..FH535 and sorafenib combination produced synergistic effect on inhibition of HCC and LCSC. Our study demonstrated that FH535 can induce apoptosis in these two different hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) cell lines. ..
- Gedaly R, Jeon H, Johnston T, McHugh P, Rowland R, Ranjan D. Surgical treatment of a rare primary renal carcinoid tumor with liver metastasis. World J Surg Oncol. 2008;6:41 pubmed publisher..We report a case of a carcinoid of renal origin with synchronous single liver metastases on radiological studies...