Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Colorado Health Sciences Center
- The proteins of human chromosome 21Katheleen Gardiner
Eleanor Roosevelt Institute, University of Denver, 1899 Gaylord Street, Denver, Colorado 80206, USA
Am J Med Genet C Semin Med Genet 142:196-205. 2006....
- Of messages and meaningK Gardiner
Eleanor Roosevelt Institute, Denver, CO 80206, USA
Trends Genet 13:92-3. 1997
- Clonability and gene distribution on human chromosome 21: reflections of junk DNA content?K Gardiner
Eleanor Roosevelt Institute, Denver, CO 80206, USA
Gene 205:39-46. 1997..Thus, data from a variety of approaches suggest that a large part of 21q very likely has neither coding capacity nor associated regulatory function. By these criteria, it is a good candidate for a repository of junk DNA...
- The sequence of human chromosome 21 and implications for research into Down syndromeK Gardiner
Eleanor Roosevelt Institute, Gaylord Street, Denver, Colorado 80206 1210, USA
Genome Biol 1:REVIEWS0002. 2000....
- Annotation of human chromosome 21 for relevance to Down syndrome: gene structure and expression analysisKatheleen Gardiner
Eleanor Roosevelt Institute, 1899 Gaylord Street, Denver, CO 80206, USA
Genomics 79:833-43. 2002..These data have implications for generating complete transcript maps of chromosome 21 and for the entire human genome, and for defining expression abnormalities in Down syndrome and mouse models...
- Mouse models of Down syndrome: how useful can they be? Comparison of the gene content of human chromosome 21 with orthologous mouse genomic regionsKatheleen Gardiner
Eleanor Roosevelt Institute at the University of Denver, 1899 Gaylord Street, Denver, CO 80206 1210, USA
Gene 318:137-47. 2003..Together, these data point out the potential for existing mouse models to produce extraneous phenotypes and to fail to produce DS-relevant phenotypes...
- A-to-I pre-mRNA editing of the serotonin 2C receptor: comparisons among inbred mouse strainsYunzhi Du
Eleanor Roosevelt Institute at the University of Denver, CO 80206, USA
Gene 382:39-46. 2006..These findings suggest that genetic background contributes to subtle variation in 5HT2CR mRNA editing patterns which may have consequences for pharmacological treatments and behavioral testing...
- HIGEDA: a hierarchical gene-set genetics based algorithm for finding subtle motifs in biological sequencesThanh Le
Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Computational Biosciences Program, University of Colorado, Denver, CO, USA
Bioinformatics 26:302-9. 2010..The effectiveness of EM algorithms in motif finding can be improved by incorporating methods that choose different sets of initial parameters to enable escape from local optima, and that allow gapped alignments within motif models...
- Human chromosome 21/Down syndrome gene function and pathway databaseOleksii Nikolaienko
Eleanor Roosevelt Institute at the University of Denver, 1899 Gaylord Street, Denver, CO 80206, USA
Gene 364:90-8. 2005..Here we describe the current status of data collection and the immediate future plans for this first human chromosome-specific database...
- Gene-dosage effects in Down syndrome and trisomic mouse modelsKatheleen Gardiner
Eleanor Roosevelt Institute at the University of Denver, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, 1899 Gaylord Street, Denver, CO 80206, USA
Genome Biol 5:244. 2004..Now, several groups have shown this to be generally the case, but some inter-individual variability and other exceptions were found...
- Building protein interaction maps for Down's syndromeKatheleen Gardiner
Eleanor Roosevelt Institute, University of Denver, 2199 South University Blvd, Denver, Colorado 80208, USA
Brief Funct Genomic Proteomic 3:142-56. 2004..Once pathway perturbations have been identified, the potential for rational design of therapeutics becomes practical...
- Transcriptional dysregulation in Down syndrome: predictions for altered protein complex stoichiometries and post-translational modifications, and consequences for learning/behavior genes ELK, CREB, and the estrogen and glucocorticoid receptorsKatheleen Gardiner
Eleanor Roosevelt Institute at the University of Denver, CO 80045, USA
Behav Genet 36:439-53. 2006..Each of these proteins is relevant to learning, behavior and/or development and therefore perturbation of their activation may contribute to the Down syndrome phenotype...
- The cognitive phenotype of Down syndrome: insights from intracellular network analysisAVI MA'AYAN
Department of Pharmacology and Biological Chemistry, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
NeuroRx 3:396-406. 2006..We propose how these methods could be integrated with creation and manipulation of mouse models of DS to advance our understanding of the perturbed cell signaling pathways in DS. This understanding could lead to potential therapeutics...
- A comprehensive human chromosome 21 databaseCao Nguyen
University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, 80217 3364, USA
IEEE Eng Med Biol Mag 26:86-93. 2007
- Human chromosome 21-derived miRNAs are overexpressed in down syndrome brains and heartsDonald E Kuhn
Davis Heart and Lung Research Institute, The Ohio State University, DHLRI 515, 473 West 12th Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 370:473-7. 2008..Importantly, Hsa21-derived miRNAs may provide novel therapeutic targets in the treatment of individuals with DS...
- Synaptojanin 1-linked phosphoinositide dyshomeostasis and cognitive deficits in mouse models of Down's syndromeSergey V Voronov
Department of Pathology and Cell Biology, Taub Institute for Research on Alzheimer s Disease and the Aging Brain, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY 10032, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:9415-20. 2008....