Steven A Frank
Affiliation: University of California
- Frank S. Measurement invariance explains the universal law of generalization for psychological perception. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2018;115:9803-9806 pubmed publisher..All of the additional assumptions and language associated with information, complexity, and empirical scaling are superfluous with regard to the broad patterns of perception. ..
- Frank S. Evolution of robustness and cellular stochasticity of gene expression. PLoS Biol. 2013;11:e1001578 pubmed publisher..Microbes provide excellent experimental models to analyze the relations between robust phenotypes and stochastic variability. ..
- Frank S. Microbial evolution: regulatory design prevents cancer-like overgrowths. Curr Biol. 2013;23:R343-6 pubmed publisher..Theory predicts that microbial regulatory controls may be designed to limit the origin and competitive potential of rogue lineages. A new study shows how a Salmonella species protects itself against overgrowths. ..
- Frank S, Bush R. Barriers to antigenic escape by pathogens: trade-off between reproductive rate and antigenic mutability. BMC Evol Biol. 2007;7:229 pubmed..These divergent selective pressures on reproductive rate and antigenic mutability may explain some of the observed differences between pathogens in age-class bias, reproductive rate, and antigenic variation. ..
- Frank S. Natural selection. V. How to read the fundamental equations of evolutionary change in terms of information theory. J Evol Biol. 2012;25:2377-96 pubmed publisher..We can now read the equations of selection in terms of their natural meaning. Selection causes populations to accumulate information about the environment. ..
- Frank S, Chen P, Lipkin S. Kinetics of cancer: a method to test hypotheses of genetic causation. BMC Cancer. 2005;5:163 pubmed..Our method of comparing genotypes provides good statistical tests even with small samples for each genotype. ..
- Frank S. Within-host spatial dynamics of viruses and defective interfering particles. J Theor Biol. 2000;206:279-90 pubmed..At higher replacement rates for host cells, nearly all cells become infected by DI particles and a low level of fluctuating, wild-type viremia persists...
- Frank S, Barbour A. Within-host dynamics of antigenic variation. Infect Genet Evol. 2006;6:141-6 pubmed..We illustrate the concept of connectivity pathways by reanalysis of data on transitions between variants from Borrelia hermsii. ..
- Frank S. Perspective: repression of competition and the evolution of cooperation. Evolution. 2003;57:693-705 pubmed..With the concepts made clear, I then explain the history of the idea. I finish by summarizing many new developments in this subject and the most promising lines for future study. ..