Floyd J Fowler
Affiliation: University of Massachusetts
- Decision dissonance: evaluating an approach to measuring the quality of surgical decision makingFloyd J Fowler
Center for Survey Research, University of Massachusetts, Boston, USA
Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 39:136-44. 2013..A new method for evaluating decision quality for major surgical decisions was examined, and a methodology for collecting the needed data was developed...
- Decision-making process reported by Medicare patients who had coronary artery stenting or surgery for prostate cancerFloyd J Fowler
Center for Survey Research, University of Massachusetts Boston, 100 Morrissey Blvd, Boston, MA 02125, USA
J Gen Intern Med 27:911-6. 2012..Patients facing decisions should be told about their options, have the opportunity to discuss the pros and cons, and have their preferences reflected in the final decision...
- Adverse events during hospitalization: results of a patient surveyFloyd J Fowler
Center for Survey Research, University of Massachusetts, Boston, USA
Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 34:583-90. 2008....
- Relationship between regional per capita Medicare expenditures and patient perceptions of quality of careFloyd J Fowler
Center for Survey Research, University of Massachusetts Boston, Boston, MA 02125, USA
JAMA 299:2406-12. 2008..Wide variations in Medicare expenditures exist across regions, but little is known about whether beneficiaries residing in low-expenditure regions perceive receiving lower-quality care than those in high-expenditure regions...
- The impact of a suspicious prostate biopsy on patients' psychological, socio-behavioral, and medical care outcomesFloyd J Fowler
The General Medicine Division, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Gen Intern Med 21:715-21. 2006..To evaluate the psychological, socio-behavioral, and medical implications of apparently false-positive prostate cancer screening results...
- Hospitalized patients' participation and its impact on quality of care and patient safetySaul N Weingart
Center for Patient Safety, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Int J Qual Health Care 23:269-77. 2011..To understand the extent to which hospitalized patients participate in their care, and the association of patient participation with quality of care and patient safety...
- Adverse effects of robotic-assisted laparoscopic versus open retropubic radical prostatectomy among a nationwide random sample of medicare-age menMichael J Barry
Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Clin Oncol 30:513-8. 2012..The objective of this study was to compare the risks of problems with continence and sexual function following these procedures among Medicare-age men...
- United States radiation oncologists' and urologists' opinions about screening and treatment of prostate cancer vary by regionMary McNaughton Collins
Medical Practices Evaluation Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Urology 60:628-33. 2002..To examine whether physicians' views on prostate cancer screening and treatment vary by geographic region in the United States...
- Policy support for patient-centered care: the need for measurable improvements in decision qualityKaren R Sepucha
Health Decision Research Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) . 2004..Policies that support the development and routine use of measures of decision quality will provide opportunities to measurably improve the quality of decisions, thereby leading to more patient-centered and efficient health care...
- Do characteristics of HIPAA consent forms affect the response rate?Dragana Bolcic-Jankovic
Center for Survey Research, University of Massachusetts, and Institute for Health Policy at Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston 02125 3393, USA
Med Care 45:100-3. 2007..The purpose of this research was to examine how the characteristics of authorization forms used by hospitals affect the likelihood of consent...
- Informing and involving patients to improve the quality of medical decisionsFloyd J Fowler
Foundation for Informed Medical Decision Making, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 30:699-706. 2011..We review public and private developments that could facilitate the development of tools and methods to improve patient-centered care...
- Development and validation of a new health-related quality of life instrument for patients with sinusitisSteven J Atlas
General Medicine Division and the Clinical Epidemiology Unit, Medical Services, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Qual Life Res 14:1375-86. 2005..This study used patient focus and pretesting groups followed by a prospective cohort study to develop and validate a HRQL instrument for patients with sinusitis...
- Validity of primary care patient self-report of abnormal (but not cancer) prostate biopsy resultsMary McNaughton-Collins
General Medicine Division, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Urol 172:2366-8. 2004..We assessed the validity of patient self-report of abnormal (but not cancer) prostate biopsy results, ie, atypical cells or prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia...
- How patient centered are medical decisions?: Results of a national surveyFloyd J Fowler
Informed Medical Decisions Foundation, Boston, MA 02108, USA
JAMA Intern Med 173:1215-21. 2013..OBJECTIVE :To learn how patients describe the decision-making process for 10 common medical decisions, including 6 that are most often made in primary care...
- The impact of androgen deprivation on quality of life after radical prostatectomy for prostate carcinomaFloyd J Fowler
Center for Survey Research, University of Massachusetts, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Cancer 95:287-95. 2002....
- Enthusiasm for cancer screening in the United StatesLisa M Schwartz
VA Outcomes Group, White River Junction, VT, University of Massachusetts, Boston, USA
JAMA 291:71-8. 2004..Public health officials, physicians, and disease advocacy groups have worked hard to educate individuals living in the United States about the importance of cancer screening...
- Role of cognitive testing in the development of the CAHPS Hospital SurveyRoger E Levine
American Institutes for Research, Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA
Health Serv Res 40:2037-56. 2005..To describe how cognitive testing results were used to inform the modification and selection of items for the Consumer Assessment of Health Providers and Systems (CAHPS) Hospital Survey pilot test instrument...
- Should a colon cancer screening decision aid include the option of no testing? A comparative trial of two decision aidsJennifer M Griffith
Center for Decision Making Research, Cecil Sheps Center for Health Services Research, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 8:10. 2008....