Genomes and Genes
Mark D Fossey
Affiliation: University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
- Validity of the distinction between primary and secondary substance use disorder in patients with bipolar disorder: data from the first 1000 STEP-BD participantsMark D Fossey
Department of Psychiatry, University of Oklahoma College of Medicine Tulsa, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74135, USA
Am J Addict 15:138-43. 2006..The primary/secondary distinction for SUD is not valid when variations in the age of onset of the non-SUD are linked to course characteristics...
- Prevalence and correlates of tobacco use in bipolar disorder: data from the first 2000 participants in the Systematic Treatment Enhancement ProgramJeanette A Waxmonsky
Department of Psychiatry, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80220, USA
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 27:321-8. 2005..We predicted that poorly controlled manic, depressed and mixed states, and the presence of psychotic symptoms, would be associated with a greater prevalence of smoking among patients with bipolar disorder...
- Association study of 21 circadian genes with bipolar I disorder, schizoaffective disorder, and schizophreniaHader A Mansour
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Bipolar Disord 11:701-10. 2009..The results are plausible, based on prior studies of circadian abnormalities. As replications have not been attempted uniformly, we evaluated representative, common polymorphisms in all three disorders...
- Concurrent tracking of alcohol use and bipolar disorder symptomsMark D Fossey
Bipolar Disord 9:789-90; author reply 790-1. 2007
- Serotonin gene polymorphisms and bipolar I disorder: focus on the serotonin transporterHader A Mansour
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, 3811 O Hara Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, U S A
Ann Med 37:590-602. 2005..Our analyses do not support association between SLC6A4 and BDI families. Further studies using sub-groups of BDI are worthwhile...
- Effectiveness of adjunctive antidepressant treatment for bipolar depressionGary S Sachs
Bipolar Clinic and Research Program, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
N Engl J Med 356:1711-22. 2007..Our study was designed to determine whether adjunctive antidepressant therapy reduces symptoms of bipolar depression without increasing the risk of mania...
- Whole-genome association study of bipolar disorderP Sklar
Center for Human Genetic Research, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Mol Psychiatry 13:558-69. 2008..Given the heritability of BP disorder, the lack of agreement between studies emphasizes that susceptibility alleles are likely to be modest in effect size and require even larger samples for detection...