Briggett C Ford
Affiliation: University of Michigan
- Lifetime and 12-month prevalence of Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition disorders among older African Americans: findings from the National Survey of American LifeBriggett C Ford
School of Social Work, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 15:652-9. 2007..The purpose of this study was to estimate lifetime and 12-month prevalence of 13 psychiatric disorders for older African Americans...
- Mental health service use among older African Americans: the National Survey of American LifeHarold W Neighbors
Institute for Social Research, Center for Research on Ethnicity, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 16:948-56. 2008..The objective of this study was to examine mental health services utilization of older African Americans using data from the National Survey of American Life...
- The role of race in diagnostic and disposition decision making in a pediatric psychiatric emergency serviceJordana Muroff
School of Social Work, Boston University, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 30:269-76. 2008..We investigated the influence of race/ethnicity in diagnostic and disposition decision-making for children and adolescents presenting to an urban psychiatric emergency service (PES)...
- Racial differences in DSM diagnosis using a semi-structured instrument: the importance of clinical judgment in the diagnosis of African AmericansHarold W Neighbors
School of Public Health, Department of Health Behavior and Health Education, M 5033 Thomas Francis Building SPH II, University of Michigan, 1420 Washington Heights, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 2029, USA
J Health Soc Behav 44:237-56. 2003..Clinical training programs must reduce ethnocentric bias by teaching the appropriate use of the socio-cultural information necessary to employ DSM-IV's Cultural Formulation...
- Violence and trauma: predicting the impact on the well-being of African American women with severe mental illnessBriggett C Ford
University of Michigan, USA
Violence Vict 17:219-32. 2002..Study findings suggest that use of a screening and assessment tool for violence and trauma exposure may have important clinical implications in providing appropriate mental health services to African American women...
- Measuring quality of life in the mentally illWynne S Korr
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, School of Social Work, Oregon Street, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Qual Life Res 12:17-23. 2003..We then examine approaches to assessing outcomes of services, especially quality of life. We conclude with an illustration and discussion of dilemmas in measuring quality of life in this vulnerable population...