FRANCO BATTISTA FOLLI
Affiliation: University of Texas Health Science Center
- The crosstalk between insulin and renin-angiotensin-aldosterone signaling systems and its effect on glucose metabolism and diabetes preventionGiovanna Muscogiuri
Department of Medicine, Diabetes Division, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX, USA
Curr Vasc Pharmacol 6:301-12. 2008....
- Bariatric surgery and bone disease: from clinical perspective to molecular insightsF Folli
Department of Medicine, Division of Diabetes, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Int J Obes (Lond) 36:1373-9. 2012..Further, we suggest a future research agenda...
- Biliary pancreatic diversion and laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding in morbid obesity: their long-term effects on metabolic syndrome and on cardiovascular parametersAntonio E Pontiroli
Dipartimento di Medicina, Chirurgia e Odontoiatria, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Ospedale San Paolo, Milano, Italy
Cardiovasc Diabetol 8:37. 2009....
- Predictive models of insulin resistance derived from simple morphometric and biochemical indices related to obesity and the metabolic syndrome in baboonsAlberto O Chavez
Department of Medicine, Diabetes Division, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX, USA
Cardiovasc Diabetol 8:22. 2009..e. percent body fat by DXA and HbA1c). However, a simple method to screen and identify obese insulin resistant baboons for inclusion in interventional studies is not available...
- Metabolic aspects of bariatric surgeryFranco Folli
Department of Medicine, Diabetes Division, University of Texas Health Science Center, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Med Clin North Am 91:393-414, x. 2007..Further investigations are needed to understand better the mechanisms involved and to define more clearly the appropriate indications and contraindications of the treatments proposed...
- Potential use of exenatide for the treatment of obesityFranco Folli
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Division of Diabetes, Department of Medicine, Texas, USA
Expert Opin Investig Drugs 20:1717-22. 2011..EXPERT OPINION: Exenatide is a potential new candidate treatment for obesity, possibly in combination with other hormones that increase satiety (leptin) and slow gastric emptying (amylin)...
- The role of oxidative stress in the pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes mellitus micro- and macrovascular complications: avenues for a mechanistic-based therapeutic approachFranco Folli
Department of Medicine, Division of Diabetes, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, USA
Curr Diabetes Rev 7:313-24. 2011....
- Altered insulin receptor signalling and β-cell cycle dynamics in type 2 diabetes mellitusFranco Folli
Division of Diabetes, Department of Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, Texas, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e28050. 2011..Activation of insulin signaling, FoxO1 and proteins in β-cell-cycle progression are attractive therapeutic targets to enhance β-cell regeneration in the treatment of T2DM...
- Physiological and molecular determinants of insulin action in the baboonAlberto O Chavez
Diabetes Division, Department of Medicine, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 7703 Floyd Curl Dr, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Diabetes 57:899-908. 2008..To quantitate insulin sensitivity in lean and obese nondiabetic baboons and examine the underlying cellular/molecular mechanisms responsible for impaired insulin action to characterize a baboon model of insulin resistance...
- Retinol-binding protein 4 is associated with impaired glucose tolerance but not with whole body or hepatic insulin resistance in Mexican AmericansAlberto O Chavez
Diabetes Division, South Texas Veterans Health Care System, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 7703 Floyd Curl Dr, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 296:E758-64. 2009..Plasma RBP4 levels are elevated in T2DM and associated with impaired glucose tolerance, but not associated with obesity or insulin resistance or impaired insulin secretion in Mexican Americans...
- Circulating fibroblast growth factor-21 is elevated in impaired glucose tolerance and type 2 diabetes and correlates with muscle and hepatic insulin resistanceAlberto O Chavez
Division of Diabetes, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas, USA
Diabetes Care 32:1542-6. 2009..FGF-21 may play a role in pathogenesis of hepatic and whole-body insulin resistance in type 2 diabetes...
- Effect of short-term free Fatty acids elevation on mitochondrial function in skeletal muscle of healthy individualsAlberto O Chavez
Division of Diabetes, Department of Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Texas 78229, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:422-9. 2010..Mitochondrial dysfunction has been proposed as an underlying mechanism in the pathogenesis of insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes mellitus...
- Effect of acute physiological hyperinsulinemia on gene expression in human skeletal muscle in vivoDawn K Coletta
Division of Diabetes, Department of Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Centre, San Antonio, TX, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 294:E910-7. 2008..The results of the present study demonstrate that insulin acutely regulates the levels of mRNAs involved in inflammation and transcription and identifies several candidate genes, including HES1 and BHLHB2, for further investigation...
- Pancreatic islet amyloidosis, beta-cell apoptosis, and alpha-cell proliferation are determinants of islet remodeling in type-2 diabetic baboonsRodolfo Guardado-Mendoza
Department of Medicine Diabetes Division, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:13992-7. 2009..519, P < 0.0001), and different FPG levels were sensitive and specific to predict IA severity. Finally, a predictive model for islet amyloid severity was generated with age and FPG as required variables...
- Deleterious action of FA metabolites on ATP synthesis: possible link between lipotoxicity, mitochondrial dysfunction, and insulin resistanceMuhammad A Abdul-Ghani
Division of Diabetes, Univ of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 295:E678-85. 2008..These acquired mitochondrial defects, caused by a physiological increase in the concentration of FFA metabolites, provide a mechanistic link between lipotoxicity, mitochondrial dysfunction, and muscle insulin resistance...
- Medical therapy of aortic aneurysms: a pathophysiology-based approachGiovanna Muscogiuri
Department of Medicine, Division of Diabetes, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, USA
Curr Vasc Pharmacol 9:572-84. 2011..A new pathophysiology-based therapeutic approach, involving the mechanisms leading to the rupture of the AAs, could represent an additional tool in combination with the current established antihypertensive therapy...
- Asymptomatic hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia after gastric bandingMarina Scavini
N Engl J Med 353:2822-3. 2005
- Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding for the treatment of morbid (grade 3) obesity and its metabolic complications: a three-year studyAntonio E Pontiroli
, Cattedra di Medicina Interna, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:3555-61. 2002....
- White blood cells in obesity and diabetes: effects of weight loss and normalization of glucose metabolismAnna Veronelli
Cattedra di Medicina Interna, Dipartimento di Medicina, Chirurgia e Odontoiatria, , Italy
Diabetes Care 27:2501-2. 2004
- The -866A/A genotype in the promoter of the human uncoupling protein 2 gene is associated with insulin resistance and increased risk of type 2 diabetesMonica D'Adamo
Laboratory of Molecular Medicine, University of Rome, Rome, Italy
Diabetes 53:1905-10. 2004..84, 95% CI 1.03-3.28; P = 0.037), but not in men. These results indicate that the -866A/A genotype of the UCP2 gene may contribute to diabetes susceptibility by affecting insulin sensitivity...
- Post-surgery adherence to scheduled visits and compliance, more than personality disorders, predict outcome of bariatric restrictive surgery in morbidly obese patientsAntonio E Pontiroli
Università degli Studi di Milano and Ospedale San Paolo, Milano, Italy
Obes Surg 17:1492-7. 2007..We evaluated a set of predictors of short-term and long-term clinical outcome including psychiatric and psychological variables, as well as measures of post-surgery compliance...
- A functional variant of the adipocyte glycerol channel aquaporin 7 gene is associated with obesity and related metabolic abnormalitiesSabrina Prudente
CSS Mendel Institute, Rome, Italy
Diabetes 56:1468-74. 2007..01). Finally, AQP7 expression in adipose tissue decreased from AA to AG to GG individuals (P = 0.036). These data strongly suggest that AQP7 downregulation is pathogenic for obesity and/or type 2 diabetes...
- Plasma leptin levels and coronary heart diseaseAntonio E Pontiroli
Circulation 106:e42; author reply e42. 2002
- Antitumorigenic and antiinsulinogenic effects of calcitriol on insulinoma cells and solid beta-cell tumorsFrancesca Galbiati
Department of Medicine, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan 20132, Italy
Endocrinology 143:4018-30. 2002..Together, these findings provide the rationale for testing the efficacy of calcitriol in the treatment of patients with solid beta-cell tumors...
- Effects of carboxypeptidase E overexpression on insulin mRNA levels, regulated insulin secretion, and proinsulin processing of pituitary GH3 cells transfected with a furin-cleavable human proinsulin cDNALuca Polastri
Department of Medicine, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy
Cell Transplant 11:803-11. 2002..In conclusion, Cpe overexpression can increase regulated insulin secretion and proinsulin processing in InsGH3 cells; however, such improvements appear quantitatively and qualitatively modest...
- Interaction between leptin and insulin signaling pathways differentially affects JAK-STAT and PI 3-kinase-mediated signaling in rat liverJose B C Carvalheira
Departamento de Clinica Medica, FCM, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, 13081 970 Campinas, SP, Brasil
Biol Chem 384:151-9. 2003..This indicates that there is a positive cross-talk between insulin and leptin signaling pathways at the level of JAK2 and STAT5b in rat liver...
- Chronic hyperglycemia impairs insulin secretion by affecting insulin receptor expression, splicing, and signaling in RIN beta cell line and human islets of LangerhansMarta L Hribal
Laboratory of Molecular Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
FASEB J 17:1340-2. 2003..These data suggest that changes in early steps of insulin receptor signaling may play a role in determining beta-cell dysfunction caused by chronic hyperglycemia...
- Islet transplantation is associated with improvement of renal function among uremic patients with type I diabetes mellitus and kidney transplantsPaolo Fiorina
Departments of Medicine and Surgery, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy
J Am Soc Nephrol 14:2150-8. 2003..Successful islet transplantation was associated with improvements in kidney graft survival rates and function among uremic patients with type I diabetes mellitus and kidney grafts...
- Circulating leptin correlates with left ventricular mass in morbid (grade III) obesity before and after weight loss induced by bariatric surgery: a potential role for leptin in mediating human left ventricular hypertrophyLucia Perego
Divisione di Medicina Interna, Istituto Scientifico San Raffaele, Via Olgettina 60, 20132 Milan, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:4087-93. 2005..CONCLUSIONS: These data suggest that leptin could contribute to the left ventricular hypertrophy in humans...
- Impact of common polymorphisms in candidate genes for insulin resistance and obesity on weight loss of morbidly obese subjects after laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding and hypocaloric dietGiorgio Sesti
Dipartimento Medicina Sperimentale e Clinica, Universita Magna Graecia di Catanzaro, Via Campanella, 115, 88100 Catanzaro, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:5064-9. 2005..It is unknown whether genetic factors that play an important role in body weight homeostasis influence the response to laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (LAGB)...
- C-174G polymorphism in the promoter of the interleukin-6 gene is associated with insulin resistanceMarina Cardellini
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Rome, Italy
Diabetes Care 28:2007-12. 2005..We addressed the question of whether the C-174G IL-6 polymorphism contributes to variation of insulin sensitivity...
- Morphological and functional differences in haemostatic axis between kidney transplanted and end-stage renal disease patientsPaolo Fiorina
Department of Internal Medicine, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy
Transpl Int 18:1036-47. 2005..Kidney transplant is associated with a better atherothrombotic profile in ESRD, platelet intracellular calcium and cytokines seem to be most influenced by the transplant, while most morphological abnormalities are retained...
- Laparoscopic gastric banding prevents type 2 diabetes and arterial hypertension and induces their remission in morbid obesity: a 4-year case-controlled studyAntonio E Pontiroli
Dipartimento di Medicina, Chirurgia e Odontoiatria, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Cattedra di Medicina Interna, Ospedale San Paolo, Via A Di Rudini, 8, 20142 Milano, Italy
Diabetes Care 28:2703-9. 2005..29 patients) and remission (secondary intervention study; 17 vs. 20 patients) of type 2 diabetes and hypertension in grade 3 obesity in a 4-year study...
- The multi-faceted cross-talk between the insulin and angiotensin II signaling systemsLicio A Velloso
Department of Internal Medicine, State University of Campinas, SP, Brazil
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 22:98-107. 2006..This review will focus on the main advances obtained in this field and will discuss the implications of this molecular cross-talk in the common clinical association between diabetes mellitus and hypertension...
- Paraneoplastic insulin resistance syndrome in advanced aggressive fibromatosis (desmoid tumor) treated by imatinib mesylateFranco Folli
Diabetes Care 29:2178-80. 2006
- Sympathetic overactivity, endothelial dysfunction, inflammation, and metabolic abnormalities cluster in grade III (World Health Organization) obesity: reversal through sustained weight loss obtained with laparoscopic adjustable gastric bandingAntonio E Pontiroli
, Ospedale San Paolo, Milan, Italy
Diabetes Care 29:2735-8. 2006
- Obesity modulates the expression of haptoglobin in the white adipose tissue via TNFalphaChiara Chiellini
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
J Cell Physiol 190:251-8. 2002..These results demonstrate that haptoglobin expression in WAT is increased in obesity in rodents and TNFalpha is an important signal for this regulation...
- Beta Cell Adaptation to Stress in Baboon Pancreas After Partial PancreatectomyFRANCO BATTISTA FOLLI; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Beta Cell Adaptation to Stress in Baboon Pancreas After Partial PancreatectomyFranco Folli; Fiscal Year: 2009....