Michael F Fleming
Affiliation: University of Wisconsin
- Brief physician advice for problem drinkers: long-term efficacy and benefit-cost analysisMichael F Fleming
Department of Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin Madison Medical School, Madison, Wisconsin 53715, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 26:36-43. 2002..This report describes the 48-month efficacy and benefit-cost analysis of Project TrEAT (Trial for Early Alcohol Treatment), a randomized controlled trial of brief physician advice for the treatment of problem drinking...
- CAM therapies among primary care patients using opioid therapy for chronic painSara Fleming
Bastyr University, Seattle, Washington 98122, USA
BMC Complement Altern Med 7:15. 2007..However; there is limited information on the utilization and efficacy of CAM therapy in primary care patients receiving long-term opioid therapy...
- Brief physician advice for alcohol problems in older adults: a randomized community-based trialM F Fleming
Center for Addiction Research and Education, University of Wisconsin, Madison, USA
J Fam Pract 48:378-84. 1999..Alcohol use in older adults is common. It is associated with depression, hypertension, diabetes, drug interactions, accidents, and increased rates of emergency department visits and hospitalizations...
- Alcohol and drug use disorders, HIV status and drug resistance in a sample of Russian TB patientsM F Fleming
Department of Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin, 777 South Mills St, Madison, WI 53803, USA
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 10:565-70. 2006..Alcohol use, tuberculosis (TB) drug resistance and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) risk behavior are of increasing concern in Russian TB patients...
- The Healthy Moms Study: the efficacy of brief alcohol intervention in postpartum womenMichael F Fleming
Department of Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 32:1600-6. 2008..However, there is limited information on women specifically during the postpartum period. This period in a woman's life is a time of transition and it provides an ideal opportunity for primary care providers to intervene...
- Reported lifetime aberrant drug-taking behaviors are predictive of current substance use and mental health problems in primary care patientsMichael F Fleming
Department of Family Medicine, School of Medicine and Public Health, University of Wisconsin Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Pain Med 9:1098-106. 2008..The aim of this report is to determine the frequency of aberrant drug behaviors and their relationship to substance abuse disorders in a large primary sample of patients receiving opioids for chronic pain...
- The efficacy of a brief alcohol intervention combined with %CDT feedback in patients being treated for type 2 diabetes and/or hypertensionMichael Fleming
Department of Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin Madison, 777 South Mills Street, Madison, Wisconsin 53715, USA
J Stud Alcohol 65:631-7. 2004..This article reports the findings of a brief intervention trial which included feedback to patients of their carbohydrate-deficient transferrin (CDT) test results...
- A review of genetic, biological, pharmacological, and clinical factors that affect carbohydrate-deficient transferrin levelsMichael F Fleming
UW Medical School, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 28:1347-55. 2004..The goal of this study is to review the genetic, biological, pharmacological, and clinical factors that may affect CDT levels...
- Alcohol biomarkers in patients admitted for traumaMichael Fleming
Department of Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53715, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 33:1777-81. 2009..To assess the value of blood alcohol levels (BAL) and carbohydrate-deficient transferrin (CDT) in trauma patients...
- Carbohydrate-deficient transferrin: validity of a new alcohol biomarker in a sample of patients with diabetes and hypertensionMichael Fleming
Department of Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin Medical School, Madison, 53715, USA
J Am Board Fam Pract 17:247-55. 2004..To test the reliability and validity of a new alcohol biomarker...
- Who teaches residents about the prevention and treatment of substance use disorders? A national surveyM F Fleming
University of Wisconisin Madison Medical School, USA
J Fam Pract 48:725-9. 1999..There is limited information, however, on those who currently teach residents about these problems and whether there is a need for additional faculty development programs...
- Substance use disorders in a primary care sample receiving daily opioid therapyMichael F Fleming
Department of Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53715, USA
J Pain 8:573-82. 2007..52; 1.85 to 6.73), and 4 aberrant drug behaviors (OR=11.48; 6.13 to 21.48). The final model for opioid use disorders was limited to aberrant behaviors (OR=48.27; 13.63 to 171.04) as the other variables dropped out of the model...
- Quality of life associated with daily opioid therapy in a primary care chronic pain sampleKathryn Sullivan Dillie
Medical Scientist Training Program, University of Wisconsin Madison, WI, USA
J Am Board Fam Med 21:108-17. 2008..Daily opioid therapy is widely used in the treatment of chronic noncancer pain, yet there is limited empirical evidence on the relationship of opioid dosing and health-related quality of life (HRQoL) in primary care settings...
- Brief physician advice for heavy drinking college students: a randomized controlled trial in college health clinicsMichael F Fleming
Department of Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin Madison, 1100 Delaplaine Court, Madison, Wisconsin 53715, USA
J Stud Alcohol Drugs 71:23-31. 2010..The aim of this study was to test the efficacy of brief physician advice in reducing alcohol use and related harm in college students...
- Cost-benefit analysis of a new alcohol biomarker, carbohydrate deficient transferrin, in a chronic illness primary care sampleKathryn Sullivan Dillie
Medical Scientist Training Program, Department of Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53562, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 29:2008-14. 2005..Limited information is available on the economic benefits of alcohol biomarkers. Our objective was to conduct a cost-benefit analysis (CBA) of the CDT test in a primary care sample of patients being treated for diabetes and hypertension...
- Sleep and daytime sleepiness problems among patients with chronic noncancerous pain receiving long-term opioid therapy: a cross-sectional studyAleksandra Zgierska
Department of Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, USA
J Opioid Manag 3:317-27. 2007..The aim of this study was to assess the prevalence, characteristics, and risk factors of sleep and daytime sleepiness problems in this specific population...
- Alcohol-impaired driving behavior and sensation-seeking disposition in a college population receiving routine care at campus health services centersLarissa I Zakletskaia
University of Wisconsin Madison, Department of Family Medicine, 777 S Mills Street, Madison, WI 53715 1896, USA
Accid Anal Prev 41:380-6. 2009..Interventions should target sensation seekers and environmental factors that mediate the link between sensation seeking and alcohol-impaired driving behaviors...
- Alcohol-induced memory blackouts as an indicator of injury risk among college drinkersMarlon P Mundt
Department of Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Inj Prev 18:44-9. 2012..Memory blackouts are a common occurrence among college drinkers, but it is not clear if a history of memory blackouts is predictive of future alcohol-related injury above and beyond the risk associated with heavy drinking episodes...
- Extreme college drinking and alcohol-related injury riskMarlon P Mundt
Department of Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI 53715, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 33:1532-8. 2009..The goal of this study was to assess the connection between alcohol consumption levels and college alcohol-related injury risk...
- Correlates of postpartum alcohol useTanya D Jagodzinski
University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison 53705, USA
WMJ 106:319-25. 2007..The purposes of this investigation are to (1) describe drinking patterns among women attending a postpartum visit, and (2) identify correlates of postpartum "at risk" drinking...
- Cigarette smoking and associated health risks among students at five universitiesAbigail C Halperin
Department of Family Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98105, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 12:96-104. 2010..This study examines smoking patterns, tobacco dependence, and other health variables among students at five universities to better understand how to identify and address tobacco use and related risks in a college health clinic setting...
- Psychiatric disorders in smokers seeking treatment for tobacco dependence: relations with tobacco dependence and cessationMegan E Piper
Center for Tobacco Research and Intervention, Department of Medicine, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, WI 53711, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 78:13-23. 2010..The present research examined the relation of psychiatric disorders to tobacco dependence and cessation outcomes...
- Brief physician advice for high-risk drinking among young adultsPaul M Grossberg
Department of Pediatrics, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wis, USA
Ann Fam Med 2:474-80. 2004....
- Survey of select practice behaviors by primary care physicians on the use of opioids for chronic painBhushan Bhamb
University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 22:1859-65. 2006..To assess the use of opioids by primary care physicians for the treatment of chronic pain...
- Potential drug interactions with the percent carbohydrate-deficient transferrin (%CDT) test, a new alcohol biomarkerMarlon P Mundt
Department of Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin Medical School, Madison 53715, USA
Pharmacotherapy 24:831-7. 2004....
- College students' alcohol displays on Facebook: intervention considerationsMegan A Moreno
Department of Pediatrics, Section of Adolescent Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin 53705, USA
J Am Coll Health 60:388-94. 2012..The purpose of this study was to investigate college freshmen's views towards potential social networking site (SNS) screening or intervention efforts regarding alcohol...
- Postpartum and alcohol-related factors associated with the relapse of risky drinkingTanya Jagodzinski
Department of Pediatrics, University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, 600 Highland Avenue, Madison, Wisconsin 53792, USA
J Stud Alcohol Drugs 68:879-85. 2007....
- The effect of brief alcohol intervention on postpartum depressionGeorgiana Wilton
University of Wisconsin Department of Family Medicine, WI, USA
MCN Am J Matern Child Nurs 34:297-302. 2009..To report on secondary results from the Healthy Moms Study, a clinical trial to test the efficacy of brief intervention on reducing alcohol use and alcohol-related harms in postpartum women...
- Inside the physician's black bag: critical ingredients of brief alcohol interventionsPaul Grossberg
Department of Pediatrics and University Health Services, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53715 1381, USA
Subst Abus 31:240-50. 2010..This is the first paper to examine primary care physician perspectives on potentially critical components of effective brief alcohol intervention...
- Domestic abuse during the previous year in a sample of postpartum womenHeather E Certain
Wm S Middleton Memorial VA Hospital, Madison, WI 53705, USA
J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs 37:35-41. 2008..To determine the prevalence and the correlates of domestic abuse in women presenting for a postpartum visit...
- Virtual reality skills training for health care professionals in alcohol screening and brief interventionMichael Fleming
Department of Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53715, USA
J Am Board Fam Med 22:387-98. 2009..Educating physicians and other health care professionals about the identification and treatment of patients who drink more than recommended limits is an ongoing challenge...
- Methadone maintenance and male sexual dysfunctionRandy Brown
University of Wisconsin Medical Schoool, Department of Family Medicine, Madison, WI 53715, USA
J Addict Dis 24:91-106. 2005..This study reports the prevalence and types of sexual dysfunction in a sample of men on methadone maintenance for opioid dependence, and describes factors which may contribute to sexual dysfunction...
- Acculturation and cigarette smoking among pregnant Hispanic women residing in the United StatesM Gabrielle Detjen
Department of Population Health Sciences, School of Medicine and Public Health, University of Wisconsin, Madison 53726, USA
Am J Public Health 97:2040-7. 2007..We explored whether higher levels of acculturation were associated with higher rates of cigarette smoking among pregnant Hispanic women residing in the United States...
- Obstetrics and gynecology resident education in tobacco, alcohol, and drug use disordersBeth Potter
Department of Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin Medical School, 777 South Mills Street, Madison, WI 53715, USA
Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am 30:583-99, viii. 2003..Residents also need to know that brief interventions can reduce risky behaviors even if they do not result in abstinence...
- Condom use in heavy drinking college students: the importance of always using condomsHeather E Certain
Department of Hospital Medicine, Meriter Health Services, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
J Am Coll Health 58:187-94. 2009..The authors examined whether alcohol use decreased condom use...
- Can the blood alcohol concentration be a predictor for increased hospital complications in trauma patients involved in motor vehicle crashes?Jaime H Kapur
University of Wisconsin Department of Surgery, 600 Highland Ave, Madison, WI 53792, USA
Int J Environ Res Public Health 7:1174-85. 2010..The study supports the use of routine BAC to predict patients at high risk for alcohol withdrawal and the early initiation of alcohol detoxification...
- Prevalence of interpersonal abuse in primary care patients prescribed opioids for chronic painStacey Balousek
Department of Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, WI, USA
J Gen Intern Med 22:1268-73. 2007..Interpersonal abuse is associated with clinical problems including chronic pain disorders...
- A pilot study on mindfulness based stress reduction for smokersJames M Davis
Center for Tobacco Research and Intervention, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, WI 53711 2027, USA
BMC Complement Altern Med 7:2. 2007..We report results of a pilot study designed to test the feasibility of using Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) (with minor modifications) as a smoking intervention...
- Brief interventions and the treatment of alcohol use disorders: current evidenceMichael F Fleming
Department of Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin 53715, USA
Recent Dev Alcohol 16:375-90. 2003
- Survey of mentoring programs for KL2 scholarsKarin A Silet
Institute for Clinical and Translational Research, University of Wisconsin Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Clin Transl Sci 3:299-304. 2010..There was also limited consensus on“what works” and what are the core elements of “effective mentoring practices. Empirical research is needed to help research leaders decide on where and how to place resources related to mentoring..
- Adverse effects and cognitive function among primary care patients taking opioids for chronic nonmalignant painRandall T Brown
University of Wisconsin, Madison Medical School, Department of Family Medicine, Madison, USA
J Opioid Manag 2:137-46. 2006..Psychological health, an important predictor of cognitive dysfunction, is a particularly important measure to actively monitor and manage...
- Validity of the alcohol use disorders identification test in college studentsPatricia K Kokotailo
Departments of Pediatrics, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53715, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 28:914-20. 2004..The goal of this study was to test the psychometric properties of the Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test (AUDIT) in college students...
- Alcohol biomarker screening in medical and surgical settingsPeter M Miller
Center for Drug and Alcohol Programs, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 30:185-93. 2006..Presentations were discussed by Raymond Anton...
- Medical conditions of adolescents in alcohol and drug treatment: comparison with matched controlsJennifer R Mertens
Kaiser Permanente Northern California, Division of Research, Oakland, California 94612 2304, USA
J Adolesc Health 40:173-9. 2007..This study addresses gaps in the literature regarding medical comorbidities in adolescents with alcohol and drug use disorders...
- Screening for intimate partner violence in a primary care setting: the validity of "feeling safe at home" and prevalence resultsRobert L Peralta
Department of Justice, Law and Society, School of Public Affairs, American University, Washington, DC, USA
J Am Board Fam Pract 16:525-32. 2003..We conducted a study to assess the validity of a screening question commonly used to detect intimate partner violence (IPV) in primary care settings. We also analyzed prevalence and risk factors of IPV...
- Addiction Severity Index in a chronic pain sample receiving opioid therapyKenneth Saffier
Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of California Davis and Contra Costa Regional Medical Center, Martinez, CA 94552, USA
J Subst Abuse Treat 33:303-11. 2007..3% of women had serious suicidal thoughts, and 23.8% had suicide attempts. The ASI provides important information that can help primary care physicians manage patients with chronic pain who are receiving opioid therapy...
- Priority actions to improve the care of persons with co-occurring substance abuse and other mental disorders: a call to actionCHARLES P O'BRIEN
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 3900 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6178, USA
Biol Psychiatry 56:703-13. 2004
- HIV Prevention/Alcohol Treatment in a Russian TB SampleMichael Fleming; Fiscal Year: 2002..It is hoped that these programs can reduce the spread of HIV infection and TB in Russia and neighboring countries. ..
- NIH NRSA Institutional Research Training Grant (T32)Michael Fleming; Fiscal Year: 2007..Significance: This would be the first NIAAA T32 focused on training physician scientists to conduct clinical and behavioral science research general medical and surgical care settings. ..
- Alcohol Biomarkers in General Clinical SettingsMichael Fleming; Fiscal Year: 2007..Fleming's ability to train new physician scientists, develop graduate-level courses for masters and PhD students interested in clinical research as well as increasing his capacity to conduct translational research. ..