Michael F Fleming
Affiliation: University of Wisconsin
- Brief physician advice for heavy drinking college students: a randomized controlled trial in college health clinicsMichael F Fleming
Department of Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin Madison, 1100 Delaplaine Court, Madison, Wisconsin 53715, USA
J Stud Alcohol Drugs 71:23-31. 2010..The aim of this study was to test the efficacy of brief physician advice in reducing alcohol use and related harm in college students...
- Quality of life associated with daily opioid therapy in a primary care chronic pain sampleKathryn Sullivan Dillie
Medical Scientist Training Program, University of Wisconsin Madison, WI, USA
J Am Board Fam Med 21:108-17. 2008..Daily opioid therapy is widely used in the treatment of chronic noncancer pain, yet there is limited empirical evidence on the relationship of opioid dosing and health-related quality of life (HRQoL) in primary care settings...
- Alcohol-impaired driving behavior and sensation-seeking disposition in a college population receiving routine care at campus health services centersLarissa I Zakletskaia
University of Wisconsin Madison, Department of Family Medicine, 777 S Mills Street, Madison, WI 53715 1896, USA
Accid Anal Prev 41:380-6. 2009..Interventions should target sensation seekers and environmental factors that mediate the link between sensation seeking and alcohol-impaired driving behaviors...
- Alcohol-induced memory blackouts as an indicator of injury risk among college drinkersMarlon P Mundt
Department of Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Inj Prev 18:44-9. 2012..Memory blackouts are a common occurrence among college drinkers, but it is not clear if a history of memory blackouts is predictive of future alcohol-related injury above and beyond the risk associated with heavy drinking episodes...
- The Healthy Moms Study: the efficacy of brief alcohol intervention in postpartum womenMichael F Fleming
Department of Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 32:1600-6. 2008..However, there is limited information on women specifically during the postpartum period. This period in a woman's life is a time of transition and it provides an ideal opportunity for primary care providers to intervene...
- Sleep and daytime sleepiness problems among patients with chronic noncancerous pain receiving long-term opioid therapy: a cross-sectional studyAleksandra Zgierska
Department of Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, USA
J Opioid Manag 3:317-27. 2007..The aim of this study was to assess the prevalence, characteristics, and risk factors of sleep and daytime sleepiness problems in this specific population...
- Cost-benefit analysis of a new alcohol biomarker, carbohydrate deficient transferrin, in a chronic illness primary care sampleKathryn Sullivan Dillie
Medical Scientist Training Program, Department of Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53562, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 29:2008-14. 2005..CONCLUSION: This CBA suggests that the addition of routine CDT screening to patient self-report may provide positive net economic benefits in primary care settings...
- Extreme college drinking and alcohol-related injury riskMarlon P Mundt
Department of Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI 53715, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 33:1532-8. 2009..The goal of this study was to assess the connection between alcohol consumption levels and college alcohol-related injury risk...
- Substance use disorders in a primary care sample receiving daily opioid therapyMichael F Fleming
Department of Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53715, USA
J Pain 8:573-82. 2007..8% vs 0.9%). The study also provides quantitative data linking aberrant drug behaviors to opioid use disorders...
- Cigarette smoking and associated health risks among students at five universitiesAbigail C Halperin
Department of Family Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98105, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 12:96-104. 2010..This study examines smoking patterns, tobacco dependence, and other health variables among students at five universities to better understand how to identify and address tobacco use and related risks in a college health clinic setting...
- Correlates of postpartum alcohol useTanya D Jagodzinski
University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison 53705, USA
WMJ 106:319-25. 2007..The purposes of this investigation are to (1) describe drinking patterns among women attending a postpartum visit, and (2) identify correlates of postpartum "at risk" drinking...
- College students' alcohol displays on Facebook: intervention considerationsMegan A Moreno
Department of Pediatrics, Section of Adolescent Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin 53705, USA
J Am Coll Health 60:388-94. 2012..The purpose of this study was to investigate college freshmen's views towards potential social networking site (SNS) screening or intervention efforts regarding alcohol...
- Reported lifetime aberrant drug-taking behaviors are predictive of current substance use and mental health problems in primary care patientsMichael F Fleming
Department of Family Medicine, School of Medicine and Public Health, University of Wisconsin Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Pain Med 9:1098-106. 2008..The aim of this report is to determine the frequency of aberrant drug behaviors and their relationship to substance abuse disorders in a large primary sample of patients receiving opioids for chronic pain...
- Brief physician advice for high-risk drinking among young adultsPaul M Grossberg
Department of Pediatrics, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wis, USA
Ann Fam Med 2:474-80. 2004..The findings of this study support more widespread implementation of brief interventions in primary care settings...
- Psychiatric disorders in smokers seeking treatment for tobacco dependence: relations with tobacco dependence and cessationMegan E Piper
Center for Tobacco Research and Intervention, Department of Medicine, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, WI 53711, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 78:13-23. 2010..The present research examined the relation of psychiatric disorders to tobacco dependence and cessation outcomes...
- A pilot study on mindfulness based stress reduction for smokersJames M Davis
Center for Tobacco Research and Intervention, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, WI 53711 2027, USA
BMC Complement Altern Med 7:2. 2007..We report results of a pilot study designed to test the feasibility of using Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) (with minor modifications) as a smoking intervention...
- Obstetrics and gynecology resident education in tobacco, alcohol, and drug use disordersBeth Potter
Department of Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin Medical School, 777 South Mills Street, Madison, WI 53715, USA
Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am 30:583-99, viii. 2003..Residents also need to know that brief interventions can reduce risky behaviors even if they do not result in abstinence...
- The effect of brief alcohol intervention on postpartum depressionGeorgiana Wilton
University of Wisconsin Department of Family Medicine, WI, USA
MCN Am J Matern Child Nurs 34:297-302. 2009..To report on secondary results from the Healthy Moms Study, a clinical trial to test the efficacy of brief intervention on reducing alcohol use and alcohol-related harms in postpartum women...
- Postpartum and alcohol-related factors associated with the relapse of risky drinkingTanya Jagodzinski
Department of Pediatrics, University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, 600 Highland Avenue, Madison, Wisconsin 53792, USA
J Stud Alcohol Drugs 68:879-85. 2007....
- Condom use in heavy drinking college students: the importance of always using condomsHeather E Certain
Department of Hospital Medicine, Meriter Health Services, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
J Am Coll Health 58:187-94. 2009..The authors examined whether alcohol use decreased condom use...
- Potential drug interactions with the percent carbohydrate-deficient transferrin (%CDT) test, a new alcohol biomarkerMarlon P Mundt
Department of Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin Medical School, Madison 53715, USA
Pharmacotherapy 24:831-7. 2004..Additional research with larger samples is needed to focus on the effects of individual drugs used in general clinical settings on %CDT levels...
- A review of genetic, biological, pharmacological, and clinical factors that affect carbohydrate-deficient transferrin levelsMichael F Fleming
UW Medical School, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 28:1347-55. 2004..The goal of this study is to review the genetic, biological, pharmacological, and clinical factors that may affect CDT levels...
- Survey of select practice behaviors by primary care physicians on the use of opioids for chronic painBhushan Bhamb
University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 22:1859-65. 2006..To assess the use of opioids by primary care physicians for the treatment of chronic pain...
- Brief physician advice for problem drinkers: long-term efficacy and benefit-cost analysisMichael F Fleming
Department of Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin Madison Medical School, Madison, Wisconsin 53715, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 26:36-43. 2002..This report describes the 48-month efficacy and benefit-cost analysis of Project TrEAT (Trial for Early Alcohol Treatment), a randomized controlled trial of brief physician advice for the treatment of problem drinking...
- Can the blood alcohol concentration be a predictor for increased hospital complications in trauma patients involved in motor vehicle crashes?Jaime H Kapur
University of Wisconsin Department of Surgery, 600 Highland Ave, Madison, WI 53792, USA
Int J Environ Res Public Health 7:1174-85. 2010..The study supports the use of routine BAC to predict patients at high risk for alcohol withdrawal and the early initiation of alcohol detoxification...
- Survey of mentoring programs for KL2 scholarsKarin A Silet
Institute for Clinical and Translational Research, University of Wisconsin Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Clin Transl Sci 3:299-304. 2010..There was also limited consensus on“what works” and what are the core elements of “effective mentoring practices. Empirical research is needed to help research leaders decide on where and how to place resources related to mentoring..
- Brief interventions and the treatment of alcohol use disorders: current evidenceMichael F Fleming
Department of Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, Wisconsin 53715, USA
Recent Dev Alcohol 16:375-90. 2003