Eugene C Fitzhugh
Affiliation: University of Tennessee
- Urban trails and physical activity: a natural experimentEugene C Fitzhugh
Center for Physical Activity and Health, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Knoxville, Tennessee 37996 2700, USA
Am J Prev Med 39:259-62. 2010..However, this belief is largely based on cross-sectional studies underlining the need for prospective studies using natural experiments...
- Evaluation of the Omron HJ-720ITC pedometer under free-living conditionsNathan A Silcott
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 43:1791-7. 2011..A secondary purpose was to compare the accuracy the Omron to that of a spring-levered pedometer...
- The association of trail use with weather-related factors on an urban greenwayRyan A Burchfield
Dept of Exercise, Sport, and Leisure Studies, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN, USA
J Phys Act Health 9:188-97. 2012..To study the association between weather-related measures and objectively measured trail use across 3 seasons...
- The relationships between weather-related factors and daily outdoor physical activity counts on an urban greenwayDana Wolff
Department of Kinesiology, Recreation, and Sport Studies, The University of Tennessee, 1914 Andy Holt Ave, HPER 303, Knoxville, TN 37996, USA
Int J Environ Res Public Health 8:579-89. 2011..001). DMT (b = 10.5), max temp-squared (b = -4.0), precipitation (b = -70.0), and max wind speed (b = 1.9) contributed significantly. Conclusion: Aggregated daily data can detect relationships between weather and outdoor PA...
- Physical activity and ethnic differences in hypertension prevalence in the United StatesDavid R Bassett
Department of Exercise Science and Sport Management, University of Tennessee at Knoxville, 1914 Andy Holt Avenue, Knoxville, TN 37996, USA
Prev Med 34:179-86. 2002..We examined associations between ethnicity, leisure-time physical activity (LTPA), and hypertension prevalence in a representative sample of U.S. adults...
- Health disparities in rural areas: the interaction of race, socioeconomic status, and geographyPaul Campbell Erwin
Center for Public Health, University of Tennessee
J Health Care Poor Underserved 21:931-45. 2010..033) in an analysis that included all 95 counties. Mortality differences based on demographic characteristics, rather than on the usual social determinants of health, raise further questions about the root causes of health inequities...
- A review of different behavior modification strategies designed to reduce sedentary screen behaviors in childrenJeremy A Steeves
Department of Kinesiology, Recreation, and Sport Studies, University of Tennessee, 1914 Andy Holt Avenue, Knoxville, TN 37996, USA
J Obes 2012:379215. 2012..44 to -3.1 h/day) and may have been influenced by the primary focus of the intervention, number of behavior modification strategies used, and other tools used to limit sedentary screen behaviors...
- Screening mammography utilization in Tennessee women: the association with residenceKathleen C Brown
Knox County Health Department, Knoxville, TN 37917, USA
J Rural Health 25:167-73. 2009..Approximately 70% of US women over age 40 report mammography screening within 2 years. However, rates are likely to vary by age, income, educational level, and residence...
- Estimated energy expenditures for school-based policies and active livingDavid R Bassett
Department of Kinesiology, Recreation, and Sport Studies, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, 37996, USA
Am J Prev Med 44:108-13. 2013..Policy changes have the potential to bring about substantial increases in physical activity in youth, within school and community settings...
- Effects of body mass index and step rate on pedometer error in a free-living environmentBrian M Tyo
Center for Physical Activity and Health, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 43:350-6. 2011..Pedometers could provide great insights into walking habits if they are found to be accurate for people of all weight categories...