James T Fitzgerald
Affiliation: University of Michigan
- Development and utilization of vignettes in assessing medical students' support of older and younger patients' medical decisionsAmy Schiller Schigelone
University of Michigan Medical School, USA
Eval Health Prof 27:265-84. 2004..However, students are more supportive of patients who desired aggressive treatments than of those who wished to end treatment. Many students did not focus on the age of the patient, but instead on the patient's quality of life...
- Validation of the Revised Brief Diabetes Knowledge Test (DKT2)James T Fitzgerald
Department of Learning Health Sciences, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor VA Geriatrics Research, Education, and Clinical Center, Ann Arbor, Michigan Prof Fitzgerald Department of Learning Health Sciences, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan Mrs Funnell, Dr Anderson, Ms Nwankwo, Dr Stansfield, Dr Piatt
Diabetes Educ 42:178-87. 2016..The original test was updated to reflect current diabetes care and education guidelines. The test has 2 components: a 14-item general test and a 9-item insulin use subscale...
- Patient and provider perceptions of diabetes: measuring and evaluating differencesJames T Fitzgerald
Department of Medical Education, University of Michigan, United States
Patient Educ Couns 70:118-25. 2008..This study measures diabetes care perceptions of patients and their providers, and examines perceptions differences of patient-provider pairs...
- Effects of a geriatrics interdisciplinary experience on learners' knowledge and attitudesJames T Fitzgerald
Department of Medical Education, University of Michigan Medical School, The Towsley Center, Room 1107, Box 0201, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0201, USA
Gerontol Geriatr Educ 26:17-28. 2006....
- The reliability and validity of a brief diabetes knowledge testJ T Fitzgerald
Department of Medical Education, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor 48109, USA
Diabetes Care 21:706-10. 1998..To examine the reliability and validity of a brief diabetes knowledge test. The diabetes knowledge test has two components: a 14-item general test and a 9-item insulin-use subscale...
- Relating medical students' knowledge, attitudes, and experience to an interest in geriatric medicineJames T Fitzgerald
Department of Medical Education, The University of Michigan Medical School, 1107 Towsley Center, Box 0201, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0201, USA
Gerontologist 43:849-55. 2003..This study examined medical students' interest in geriatrics: Are knowledge, positive attitudes, and prior experience with older adults associated with an interest in geriatric medicine?..
- Measuring perceptions of diabetes-related concepts: a preliminary studyJames T Fitzgerald
Department of Medical Education, University of Michigan Medical School, Towsley Center, Room 1114, Box 0201, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0201, USA
Diabetes Educ 29:480-7. 2003..This pilot study explored health professionals' and patients' perceptions of diabetes through the development of the Diabetes Semantic Differential Scales (DSDS). These scales evaluate the meaning of diabetes-related concepts...
- A longitudinal study of self-assessment accuracyJames T Fitzgerald
Department of Medical Education, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Med Educ 37:645-9. 2003..This study compares actual and estimated examination performance for three classes during their first 3 years of medical school...
- The influence of treatment modality and ethnicity on attitudes in type 2 diabetesJ T Fitzgerald
Department of Medical Education, The University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor 48109 0201, USA
Diabetes Care 23:313-8. 2000..The study examines diabetes attitude differences by treatment modality (insulin vs. no insulin), race/ethnicity, and the interaction of these two variables for people with type 2 diabetes...
- The influence of task formats on the accuracy of medical students' self-assessmentsJ T Fitzgerald
Department of Medical Education, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor 48109 0201, USA
Acad Med 75:737-41. 2000..One is whether self-assessment is a generalizable skill or dependent on the characteristics of the task. This study examines the self-assessment skills of medical students across two task formats: performance-based and cognitive-based...
- Informal diabetes education: impact on self-management and blood glucose controlMary Lou Gillard
Department of Medical Education, University of Michigan Medical School, G 1202 Towsley Center 0201, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0201, USA
Diabetes Educ 30:136-42. 2004....
- Personalized follow-up increases return rate at urban eye disease screening clinics for African Americans with diabetes: results of a randomized trialRobert M Anderson
Department of Medical Education, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0201, USA
Ethn Dis 13:40-6. 2003....
- Development of a standardized patient instructor to teach functional assessment and communication skills to medical students and house officersBrent C Williams
Department of Internal Medicine, Divisions of Geriatric Medicine and General Medicine, Ann Arbor Veterans Affairs Healthcare System, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 54:1447-52. 2006..Unlike existing diagnosis-oriented SPs, the GSPI can be used to assess and teach geriatrics skills to physician learners across disciplines and levels of training...
- A study of certified diabetes educators: influences and barriersMartha M Funnell
Michigan Diabetes Research and Trainign Centers, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0580, USA
Diabetes Educ 32:359-62, 364-6, 368-72. 2006..The second purpose was to identify the influences, resources, and constraints that affect and alter the attitudes and practices of diabetes educators...
- Brief report: Brief instrument to assess geriatrics knowledge of surgical and medical subspecialty house officersBrent C Williams
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0429, USA
J Gen Intern Med 21:490-3. 2006..Initiatives are underway to increase geriatrics training in nonprimary care disciplines. However, no validated instrument exists to measure geriatrics knowledge of house officers in surgical specialties and medical subspecialties...
- Internal medicine house officers' attitudes and experience with patients who overstep patient-physician boundariesAnuja Jain
University of Michigan Medical School, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA
Med Teach 34:643-8. 2012..The frequency of transgressions reported by house officers was greater than what is previously described for attending physicians though their responses to transgressions were similar...
- Successful implementation of a faculty development program in geriatrics for non-primary care physician educatorsBrent C Williams
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, 300 N Ingalls Bldg, Room 7E18, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0429, USA
Gerontol Geriatr Educ 28:5-27. 2008....
- A targeted infection prevention intervention in nursing home residents with indwelling devices: a randomized clinical trialLona Mody
Division of Geriatric and Palliative Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor2Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center, Veterans Affairs Ann Arbor Healthcare System, Ann Arbor, Michigan
JAMA Intern Med 175:714-23. 2015..Inadequate care of residents with these devices contributes to high rates of multidrug-resistant organisms (MDROs) and device-related infections in NHs...
- Conducting community-based, culturally specific, eye disease screening clinics for urban African Americans with diabetesRobert M Anderson
Department of Medical Education, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor 48109 0201, USA
Ethn Dis 12:404-10. 2002..Although the project was successful, it is not a solution to what is essentially a health systems problem, ie, inadequate access to appropriate diabetes care for a significant number of our population...
- Medical school handoff education improves postgraduate trainee performance and confidenceJennifer N Stojan
University of Michigan, USA
Med Teach 37:281-8. 2015..Determine postgraduate first-year (PGY-1) trainees ability to perform patient care handoffs and associated medical school training...
- Conceptual model for reducing infections and antimicrobial resistance in skilled nursing facilities: focusing on residents with indwelling devicesLona Mody
Division of Geriatric Medicine, Veterans Affairs Ann Arbor Health Service Research and Development Center of Excellence, Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA
Clin Infect Dis 52:654-61. 2011..If this strategy is effective, similar strategies can be studied and implemented for other high-risk groups...
- Case management for patients with poorly controlled diabetes: a randomized trialSarah L Krein
VA Health Services Research and Development Center for Practice Management and Outcomes Research, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48113 0170, USA
Am J Med 116:732-9. 2004..To evaluate the effects of a collaborative case management intervention for patients with poorly controlled type 2 diabetes on glycemic control, intermediate cardiovascular outcomes, satisfaction with care, and resource utilization...
- A vertically integrated geriatric curriculum improves medical student knowledge and clinical skillsMark A Supiano
Department of Internal Medicine, Geriatrics Division, Center on Aging, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 55:1650-5. 2007....
- Is past academic productivity predictive of radiology resident academic productivity?Stephanie K Patterson
Department of Radiology, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor 48109 0030 USA
Acad Radiol 9:211-6. 2002..The authors performed this study to determine whether academic productivity in college and medical school is predictive of the number of publications produced during radiology residency...
- For the patient. Eye screening can prevent eye disease. Personalized follow-up increases return rate at urban eye disease screening clinics for African Americans with diabetes: results of a randomized trialRobert M Anderson
Ethn Dis 13:149. 2003
- Zinc supplementation decreases oxidative stress, incidence of infection, and generation of inflammatory cytokines in sickle cell disease patientsBin Bao
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Hematology Oncology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Transl Res 152:67-80. 2008..Zinc supplementation also increased relative levels of IL-2 and IL-2Ralpha mRNAs in phytohemagglutinin-p-stimulated MNCs. These results suggest that zinc supplementation may be beneficial to SCD patients...
- Does medical school performance predict radiology resident performance?Tedric D Boyse
Department of Radiology, University of Michigan Hospitals, Ann Arbor 48109 0030, USA
Acad Radiol 9:437-45. 2002..The authors performed this study to examine the relationship, if any, of a large number of measures of medical school performance with radiology residency performance...
- A six-month trial of valacyclovir in the Epstein-Barr virus subset of chronic fatigue syndrome: improvement in left ventricular functionA Martin Lerner
School of Medicine, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, USA
Drugs Today (Barc) 38:549-61. 2002..This preliminary trial, with a small number of patients, may be critical to an appropriately designed larger, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial...
- The Diabetes Empowerment Scale-Short Form (DES-SF)Robert M Anderson
Diabetes Care 26:1641-2. 2003
- Diabetes Perceptions, Patient Satisfaction and Self-CareJames Fitzgerald; Fiscal Year: 2005..AIM 4: To investigate the influence of the patients' ethnicity, age, education, and gender on perception differences of diabetes. ..