JOSEPH E FINKELSTEIN
Affiliation: University of Maryland
- Randomized study of different anti-stigma mediaJoseph Finkelstein
Chronic Disease Informatics Group, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Patient Educ Couns 71:204-14. 2008..We designed our study to assess if computer-assisted anti-stigma interventions can be effective in reducing the level of psychiatric stigma in a sample of special education university students...
- Association of physical activity and renal function in subjects with and without metabolic syndrome: a review of the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III)Joseph Finkelstein
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21030, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 48:372-82. 2006..The association between physical activity and renal function in subjects with and without metabolic syndrome was examined...
- Reducing depression stigma using a web-based programJoseph Finkelstein
Chronic Disease Informatics Group, Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, The University of Maryland, Baltimore, USA
Int J Med Inform 76:726-34. 2007..This study was designed to investigate the efficacy and feasibility of a web-based depression stigma education tool for healthcare professionals...
- Home-based physical telerehabilitation in patients with multiple sclerosis: a pilot studyJoseph Finkelstein
Multiple Sclerosis Center of Excellence, Baltimore Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Rehabil Res Dev 45:1361-73. 2008..Values are shown as mean +/- standard deviation.) Patients were highly satisfied with the service. Home-based physical telerehabilitation can improve functional outcomes significantly in patients with MS...
- Feasibility of promoting smoking cessation among methadone users using multimedia computer-assisted educationJoseph Finkelstein
Department of General Internal Medicine, John Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
J Med Internet Res 10:e33. 2008..The prevalence of smoking is very high among methadone users. As a method of delivering health education, computers can be utilized effectively. However computer-assisted education in methadone users has not been evaluated systematically...
- Challenges in the design of a Home Telemanagement trial for patients with ulcerative colitisRaymond K Cross
Veterans Affairs, Maryland Heath Care System, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Clin Trials 6:649-57. 2009..Nonadherence, inadequate monitoring, and side-effects result in suboptimal outcomes in ulcerative colitis (UC). We hypothesize that telemanagement for UC will improve symptoms, quality of life, adherence, and decrease costs...
- Home telemanagement for patients with ulcerative colitis (UC HAT)Raymond K Cross
Veterans Affairs, Maryland Heath Care System, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Dig Dis Sci 54:2463-72. 2009..Patients with UC can be easily trained to use HAT, and patient acceptance of the UC HAT system is high. Home automated telemanagement has potential to improve clinical outcomes and patient satisfaction in UC...
- The use and interpretation of quasi-experimental studies in medical informaticsAnthony D Harris
Division of Healthcare Outcomes Research, Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine, 100 N Greene Street, Lower Level, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 13:16-23. 2006..They hope that future medical informatics studies will implement higher level quasi-experimental study designs that yield more convincing evidence for causal links between medical informatics interventions and outcomes...
- Patient subjective assessment of drug side effects in inflammatory bowel diseaseRaymond K Cross
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 42:244-51. 2008..Our goal was to assess IBD patients' subjective assessment of drug side effects using the [Sid]e [e]ffects [s]urvey (SidES), a survey instrument that we previously developed and tested in patients with asthma and psychiatric disorders...
- Feasibility and acceptance of a home telemanagement system in patients with inflammatory bowel disease: a 6-month pilot studyRaymond K Cross
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Dig Dis Sci 52:357-64. 2007..The HAT is feasible and accepted in IBD. We predict that the HAT will positively affect adherence, monitoring, and patient education, resulting in improved disease activity and quality of life...
- Acceptance of telemanagement is high in patients with inflammatory bowel diseaseRaymond K Cross
Department of Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine, MD, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 40:200-8. 2006..Assess acceptance and attitudes regarding telemanagement (HAT) in patients with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)...
- Identifying groups at high risk for carriage of antibiotic-resistant bacteriaJon P Furuno
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore 21201, USA
Arch Intern Med 166:580-5. 2006..We aimed to develop a highly sensitive, simple-to-administer prediction rule to identify subpopulations of patients at high risk for colonization on hospital admission...
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease as an independent risk factor for cardiovascular morbidityJoseph Finkelstein
Welch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology and Clinical Research, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 4:337-49. 2009..In their analysis none of these studies accounted for sociodemographic factors, health behaviors, and patient comorbidities simultaneously...
- Digital divide: variation in internet and cellular phone use among women attending an urban sexually transmitted infections clinicLipika Samal
Division of General Internal Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 2024 E Monument Street, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
J Urban Health 87:122-8. 2010..Describing baseline ICT access and the acceptability of health advice via ICT, as we have done, is one step toward determining the feasibility of ICT-delivered health interventions in urban populations...
- Hypertension telemanagement in blacksJoseph Finkelstein
Division of General Internal Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes 2:272-8. 2009..The trial will provide insight on the potential impact of information technology-enhanced care coordination in blacks with poorly controlled hypertension...
- EVALUATION OF HOME ASTHMA TELEMONITORING (HAT) IN ADULTSJoseph Finkelstein; Fiscal Year: 2003..Lastly, we will evaluate the HAT impact on behavioral and cognitive components of asthma self-care, including phase of asthma self-regulation, asthma self-efficacy and knowledge. ..
- Hypertension Telemanagement in African AmericansJoseph Finkelstein; Fiscal Year: 2006..Finally, we will perform cost-effectiveness analysis of the HAT intervention in the African American patients with hypertension. ..